You Don't Need A German Shepherd To Protect You!

Discussion in Pets started by Nanatracyann • Apr 10, 2012.

1. Nanatracyann

NanatracyannNew Member

Threads:
    A dog need not be vicious to protect you. A small, yappy dog is fine burglar protection. A big dog that scares people on sight is the best defense against street crime. What type of dog do you own?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We used to have a Basset Hound. I know most people would not think of them as being a good guard dog but I am sure that they could be. A Basset is a lot faster than people think they are. If you ever watch one chase a cat, you'll know what I mean. We used to give him beef bones and I have never seen a dog crunch them into pieces so fast that the whole bone would be gone in about ten minutes. I would bet he could have done some damage if he had ever bit someone. He was also pretty protective of our house. When we first got him, I came home from work but had stayed in the garage to take care of some things out there. When I finally entered the house about 15 minutes later, he was looking right at me and growling like I was an intruder. I had to call his name a few times before the tail started wagging and I knew it was safe to go inside my own home!

3. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I have a German shepherd and a Rottweiler/Lab mix, so I have little fear of my home being invaded, LOL. However, I agree that it's the bark that tends to discourage a would-be burglar or intruder b/c they don't want anything to call attention to him. A dog that will make any kind of noise if a person is tryng to get into your home will do. A dog that sleeps through an intrusion, not so much. My dad had a Basset hound that slept in the basement, and an intruder came right through the window one night - the dog didn't make a sound.

4. summerRain

summerRainMember

Threads:
    I have a Shih Tzu and he is not a perfect guard dog, I know that! LOL However, I also have 2 Daschund puppies, and 1 Aspin (also called Askal) which is a very good guard dog. He is loyal to his owner and barks heavily when seeing another unknown person in the house.

5. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    I have a Labrador who is quite the guard at night time, if he hears anything he will go check it out from various windows and the fact that he's almost invisible in the night time is a great asset to have for a guard dog.

6. renmew

renmewMember

Threads:
    I have recently moved out on my own with my 3 young kids and have been thinking heavily about getting a dog for protection, but also for companionship for the kids. I don't want the problems associated with a purebred dog, nor do I have the money to buy one. Ultimately I plan on going to the local shelter and saving a dog from there. I have been told by dog owners that it is best to get a mix, so I'll be looking for a young dog with Boxer or Labrador in it.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Been there & done that! My advice to you would be to avoid a puppy. I was in the same situation and I know that you already have your hands full. I made the mistake of getting a prue bred Boxer puppy. I would have done better to get a mix breed dog that was at least a one year old from a local shelter. Also research your breeds to make sure you are getting a good match for your family. If your local shelter has online information about what they have available for adoption and you see one you are interested in, find out more about the breeds online before adopting it.

8. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    Good advice - puppies are the debil, LOL! They suck you in with their impossible cuteness, and then you find out how much work and stress they are. My dogs are 2 and 3 years old, and we've had them since they were weaned. Ugh - had to replace and entire floor due to the shepherd's chewing phase. The other one was a stubborn potty-trainer. Now that they're adults, they are getting so much easier to deal with. I agree that getting a dog that is at least a year old will help you avoid some major stress. Most shelters will help you with placing a dog with your family that works well (i.e. kid friendly). Good luck! There are a lot of dogs out there needing homes, and you will have a friend for life.

9. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Ii like my Rottweiler as I always wanted a dog that will only listen to me. Rottweilers have the best rate of being dedicated to one master and this way I don't feel anxious that he will eat something that is not coming from me or that he will obey anyone else's orders. Regarding the other part of the converation, puppies are definitely like having a kid around and indeed one that can't understand you. Go to the shelter. Most dogs there are perfectly nice.

10. Christi Harris

Christi HarrisNew Member

Threads:
    You don't have to tell me this. My dog Gabby was a small dog and will bark if a stranger was knocking on the door or anywhere near my house.

11. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    We don't currently have any dogs. Two small children is enough for me to handle right now. We would like to get a dog down the road. I have had many different dogs in my life growing up in the country. My husband used to work in delivery and got chased a few too many times, so he doesn't like dogs much at all. The last dog I had actually was a German Shepherd, and I loved her. She was a retired police dog, so listened to commands so very well. But she was a cuddler and even slept with me (this was before I was married). We had to put her to sleep after she unfortunately got cancer. I would love to get a German Shepherd again because my brother has one and I just think they are great with the kids!

12. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I have a golden retriever and a black lab. They are both great watch dogs. They both have a very loud and vicious sounding bark. They even bark when my husband, kids or I come home. The lab gets excited when she sees us or someone that she knows so she barks. They both bark when they see someone that they know too. Either way, my house will not get broken in between the two vicious sounding dogs. We really don't need a burglar system when we have our two dogs. They are saving us some money.

13. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have a dog at the moment, but if I were to get a dog it would be a Rottweiler. I have always loved these dogs. They are loyal, well behaved and very sweet dogs (as long as they are not trained to be mean.) One day when I am ready I may own a Rottweiler, but only when I am ready.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not have a dog at the moment. We have had a very loving German Shepard that no one would mess with and a Chu that was very tempermental. Both dogs very good guard dogs. The Chu is not good with kids. Sometimes I think it would be good to have a dog to make noise if someone comes into the house, but pets are a responsibility I don't want right now.

15. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    My first ever dog was a German Shepherd and he was as gentle as a lamb but no one but my parents could come near me, he was that protective! I loved that dog. I was heartbroken when he was taken from us. As for small dogs being protective too...that is the TRUTH.

I have seen little dogs chase bigger dogs and people away, unreal, they have my respect.

16. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We have a doberman and she has the sweetest personality one could wish for but only we know that. To other people, especially strangers, she comes across as this fierce dog. She is now 11 and still acts as if she is a puppy. I am often alone at home and feel quite safe knowing she is with me as she is very alert and will go investigate every little sound she hears. A few months ago we heard the heartbreaking news that she has developed Wobblers Syndrome and as time goes by her condition will only worsen, so we really cherish every day that we can still have with her.

17. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I have chihuahuas. While I agree that you don't need a vicious dog to protect you, I do think you need a larger dog. The main reason is that even though my dogs bark and will bite when threatened, they don't pack much of a punch when they do. That being said, a larger dog would create the appearance of protection and would have the chops to back it up if pushed into a corner.