Would You Steal To Feed Your Family?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by littlewitch66 • Oct 6, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    If the worst happened and you were left with nothing, would you steal to feed your family? If you had nowhere to turn and your children were hungry would you?

I have read of cases like this in the paper where a mother was caught shoplifting because she needed food for her children but had no money. I know it's an extreme case but I wonder if I would if there was absolutely no other way because the urge to look after our children might override the fact we could get caught.

2. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather borrow than steal. There are some organizations or even neighbors who are willing to lend us some money to buy food. I think stealing isn't the best option because you cannot steal everyday. Your children still need food for tomorrow. Talking with someone who can understand your situation and be ready to help you is the best thing to do.

I still wouldn't wish to be in such a situation.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Most stores now have CCTV, so for sure you will get filmed if ever they catch you stealing. I think it would be better to just look for work or ask for government assisstance if you can't feed your family. Or try pawning your items or borrow money from your relatives so that you can buy food.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Well, this isn't a religious forum, but the Bible says that the law of love comes before the law. In that case, in my ethical reasoning, it might be OK - but dangerous. However, though, things would have to be really bad - and it hasn't come to that situation now. Instead, it might be people who are too proud to work fast food or something.

5. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Considering that my family is the most important thing in this world for me, yes I would steel to feed my family. I would do this only if I would have no other choice if I could not find a job or help from someone with a big heart, because for my family I would not be ashamed to beg and ask for money first.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Well... The only option where I find myself doing this is: if my family were really in an extremely critical situation. I would act against my principles, but it would be something for a greater good.

God would surely forgive me. :D

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would check out the food pantry at your local church or work in some community gardens and that way you could share in the bounty or harvest of some of fresh vegetables for your family. Also by working in a community garden you can learn a particular skill that will be of value throughout the rest of your life a well. This is a good way to get involved in your community as well and let somebody know that you need help instead of stealing and dealing with the legal consequences.

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    If the worst happened and I had no relative/family to turn to, I'd rather beg than steal. If one steals, say from a grocery store, the likelihood of getting caught is high with the presence of CCTVs and in-house agents. When that happens, I'll lose pride, freedom, and the goods I tried to steal. I'd really rather beg and ask for help from the local government or probably ask neighbors if they have jobs that I can do like washing clothes and dishes, ironing, or even baby sitting. I'd also explore other options like moving to the countryside and starting a garden or going to the forest to look for fruits or vegetables to eat.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know it's not a good idea to steal, but we do have FoodStamps, Food Banks and benefits.gov to get all the information going to see if you qualify. FoodBanks are international now:

This link is not with the government and I just came across it while finding Food Bank links.

Libraries across America has free computer internet services with using your library card for logging in. When the need arises, you could find information to help you.
    There is rental help, utility help and foodstamps you can apply for via benefits.gov. Be warned, FoodStamps now called SNAP & EBT cards, is a 6 months review and yrly application process. Rental Subsidy is a yearly application process with you home being checked
    to make sure it's up to standard and to make sure the landlord, does maintenance when needed if you're renting. It helps you with food, a place to live and making sure you have a nice place to live with heating when needed. I hope this helps, so you don't break the law and be hauled away to jail when your family needs you the most.

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I was using the example as a worst case scenario. If there were no other options would you steal? I couldn't bear the thought of my family going hungry and although these days there are other options we could use if we were desperate, I might just do it.

I was thinking about people who lived many years ago who had no money and wondering what it must have been like for them trying to feed their families if they fell on hard times.