Would You Insure Your Pet?

Discussion in Pets started by ExpertAdvice • Jun 10, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Just the other day, the thought came to me that I should really try to amp up my insurance plan, especially as it relates to my car, home and other assets.

In thinking about all this, the thought came to me, "Since they seem to have insurance for virtually everything...I wonder if they have or would consider having...pet insurance?!"

Now, don't tell me that thought hasn't ever crossed your mind! lol, but even if it hasn't, do you think that it's a worthwhile consideration.

I mean, in today's world, people are going as far as to leave money (and a whole lot of it) to their pets in their wills!

So, why not pet insurance too?

What do you think about this idea?

(Also, let me know if there are pet insurance schemes which already exist in your area!)

6690520139_353feb0e86_o.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think pet insurance is a lot more common nowadays since there are a lot of expenses that are associated wi having a pet, the bulk coming from vet visits. I think it is worth it for those who have enough extra finances to spend for it but I don't think it's entirely necessary either. It's probably best to have it as a backup if you could afford it, but otherwise I think if the pet doesn't seem like it is going to be needing a lot of vet visits it might be unnecessary to buy insurance.

3. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    Pet insurance is very important. You never know when your pet will get sick and in most cases they don't conveniently get sick right after payday. Vets are very expensive and charge over 100 dollars just for the office visit.

4. bodiesstretch

bodiesstretchNew Member

Threads:
    I didn't even know it was possible. People over here barely insure their lives and houses. If the option ever becomes available, I'll probably insure my dog. He's getting old and visits to the vet are bound to become more frequent.
    There is insurance available for farm animals though, but I don't think it fits into the same category.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When our first dog got critically sick, I was already crying. That was the time I thought of an insurance for pets, but not for the money. An insurance against getting sick. It's crazy, all right, but that was what I thought because I was really devastated. Fortunately, our dog got well.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't insure my pets. It's not because I don't love my pet. Fact is I can dispense with the extra expenses. A pet that's well-taken care of won't fall sick that easy. I have 1 pet dog and three guard dogs which I also think should be counted as pets. How much would it cost to insure all of them? A lot of money. So I don't bother.

I get them vaccinated annually which is much cheaper.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I were minted and money weren't an object, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But if i had some now, I'd still look after them as though they were my children, feed them and make sure they're healthy. I'd make sure they had all their vaccinations and take them to the vet, if required.

8. kristin

kristinNew Member

Threads:
    That is a great picture!

Personally I would not buy it, but then again I don't have insurance for myself. I think DrRipley makes a good point and explains why I have never considered insurance for my own pets. My pets have for the most part only need their immunizations. I go to the animal shelter when I want a dog so the hysterectomy is done before I can bring them home. Some of my friends have knowingly purchased dogs that have major health problems. One friend's dog would regularly faint because of a bad heart and another had major respiratory problems. These instances seem more conducive to having insurance.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that insuring my pet would only be an option for me if I had lots of money. But since I don't, then I won't consider having one anytime soon.

10. seatones

seatonesNew Member

Threads:
    It doesn't seem too outlandish to me and I'm sure a lot of people have considered it. I probably wouldn't do it myself, but that's only because I've never been too concerned with insurance (probably less than I should to be honest.) Pets have extreme importance to a lot of people; some people even like them more than their friends! I think that pet insurance could be an added peace of mind for some people, which is never a bad thing.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course! In fact I already have. I was going to get a more expensive insurance for my dog, but as I was on a tight budget I got a cheaper one with less coverage. However I had a promotion recently and now I'm thankfully in a better financial situation. So probably when this insurance expires I'll get the better one! It's not so worth it for consultations only, but if your dog needs to be hospitalized it is definitely worth it.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't actually have a pet but if I did, it would definitely be insured. Vet's bills can be extortionate and the chances are that your pet will need to se the vet at least once in it's lifetime.

13. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Insuring your pet could be feasible, but not absolutely anywhere in the world since there interfere a lot of factors in the equation, such as the actual general care of people toward animals, or if people themselves can sustain themselves at least barely before actually giving more care to their pets. But, yeah, this should generally be feasible and you can see a lot of countries implementing it already.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would buy pet insurance, and if I end up getting another dog I will certainly get it. Vet care is very expensive and as pets age they need more and more of it, like people. I remember at one time paying like 600 dollars up front for my dogs ear infections, and my sister spent a few thousand on her cat at an animal hospital so yess, I htink pet insurance is a good idea.

15. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on what kind of pet you have. If it something big, like a cat or a dog, then I do think that they should be insured, as there is every chance that they are going to need regular care, and this means that it would cost you a lot of money if you didn't get them insured. So it is certainly something that you should consider when making your financial plans. And that way, you know that any treatment for them is going to be covered already, rather than worrying about how you're going to pay it when something goes wrong.

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I too would agree that if someone has dogs or cats taking out Pet Insurance would be the sensible thing to do and extremely worthwhile too - especially as - regardless of how well we look after our pets - they - like humans - can unexpectedly become ill and require ongoing treatment - which as the cost of the treatment would most likely be way more than the years premium - not only would it save money - but would give peace of mind in the sense that you would know that your pet was getting everything it needed to make sure that it didn't suffer unnecessarily.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    For me personally, no, I wouldn't.

While I love my pets, I just don't feel the need to put that much money into monthly premiums. If something awful happens and I need to pay out of pocket to help them, I will, but the likelihood is much less than it is with people, I think.

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, you should definitely get pet insurance - it's only about $150 or so per year, if that, and can save you thousands of dollars if your pet becomes ill and requires surgery and or prescriptions. Our beagle developed Cushing's Disease in the later half of her life, and it ended up costing us thousands of dollars over the course of several years, taking her to the vet repeatedly and putting her on all sorts of medications. Our other dog got into a fight with another neighborhood dog who got loose, and ended up breaking her leg when it got tangled up in her chain. We ended up having to take her into surgery to repair the torn tendon and broken leg, which wasn't cheap either. You never know what they might get themselves into.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that pet insurance doesn't cover any injuries to others if your pet bites someone else. I believe that is covered by your home insurance. But you should check with whomever you have home insurance with to make sure they cover that too.

19. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    We looked at pet insurance closely when we first got our dog but ultimately, I couldn't find one that I thought was worth the price. Like human insurances, there are a lot of limitations and exceptions and the insurance tries not to pay. My dog doesn't have insurance but in an emergency, we have options like care credit or our savings account.