Would You Include Your Pet In Your Will?

Discussion in Pets started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 10, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Pets are great! They can be the answer to the prayers of a kid who never had any friends, or never chose to speak to anyone around him/her; they could let a blind man/woman feel as though they had regained sight, or they could even comfort someone who has lost a loved one.

You and I have probably had pets once or twice in the past, and we've either had funny stories to tell about our memories with them, or treasured the moments we had shared with them.

But, I have a serious question to ask you ...

Would you go as far to show your love for your pet, as to include them in your will?

2. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I know first hand how pets can be a big part of the family. I would include my pets in my will to appoint someone to take care of them if there wasn't someone else to do it. I don't know about people who leave money for their pets but I can see leaving money FOR them to have a caretaker use for the pet's care. It would just have to be someone I'd really trust to do that.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of the disney cartoon Aristocats where the old lady left her riches to her pet cats. No, I would not do that. But I would go with Mayvin's idea of assigning them to a person who I trust would care for them the way I do.

4. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely put a pet in my will. I would want to make sure they are properly taken care of and had a good life even if I wasn't in the picture anymore. It wouldn't be anything like leaving a lot of money with no instructions though. I would appoint someone to take care of it and use the money I would leave behind to do it. Pets are a big part of your life if you have one, they give you unconditional love and company, it's only natural to want them to be taken care of.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I was really devastated when my first pet dog died and it took several years before I had the heart/courage to own another dog again. We always treat our pets as part of the family so If I really have a fortune I would probably include my pet in my will (even just for fun). Because I came from a family of dog lovers and I'm very sure, will or not, they would still take care of my pets even when I'm gone. :)

6. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    LMAO first I thought this thread meant leaving stuff TO your pet in your will. That made no sense since the average dog lives less than 10 years. Yea definitely I would include my dog in my will to be properly taken care of. But I really don't need to make it official because I have plenty of family that would look after him if I die. Well not plenty but a couple of people would take him in and care for him. Actually I think I may confirm with those people about it now that I read this thread. I am ASSUMING they will.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would include my pets in my will, as I don't want them to suffer in any way after my demise. But even better, while I am still alive, I would ask friends or family members who are animal lovers, whether they would take care of my pets if something happened to me. But strangely enough, it hasn't really occurred to me until now. My pets are extremely precious to me, so I would want the best possible care available for them if I, for some reason, should not be able to look after them anymore.

8. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    I definitely love the thought behind this suggestion! I can understand now, from your perspective, if someone were to choose to name their pet in their will.
    I too believe in being specific about it , in that you'd provide that there be put in place a system where someone who is not only capable, but able to "gel well with your pet" should be appointed to so care for that pet!
    Leaving "money indefinitely" to your pet is really not of much use, because the fact remains that, although our pets are very much part of the family , and have rightfully earned this position, they don't have the will...or the language for that matter, to be able to truly delegate what they would like to use the money you've left them, for.
    Purpose should override emotion and sentiment in this instance, I believe.

9. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Lol, I remember this movie as well! Lol, this is a really funny recollection! I agree with you, we should ensure our pets are taken care of, in return for the selfless care and love that they had bestowed on us when they could, as opposed to "leaving them out in the cold, to their own devices", but I really do think that leaving money to them, with no expressly stated purpose for it , would almost be a waste! Even if we were just to regard the legal implications! lol

10. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    You're so right! Many persons often don't take into full consideration exactly how much their pets deserve .
    They take it for granted, as though nothing was ever done by their pets, as though their pets never brought laughter to their face and heart, as though the pets never cherred them up after a "poor day".
    If we made the effort to actually acquire these pets and took them into our homes, we implied a duty upon ourselves, to therefore, care for them in the best possible manner, so that they would not be in want.

11. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    I love the thought eppie! But would you also leave instructions as to how you would want the money to be allocated so as to ensure the proper care of your pet? Leaving money would be awesome! But I think some direction has to be given to those interpreting the contents of the will, so that they'll not take advantage of the money left to a pet, who cannot decide in this matter for himself/herself, and resulting in he/she not being properly cared for, as desired and deserved!

12. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Lol, wulfman, I love your point of view. I agree, in fact! It may actually be quite cumbersome on the pocket and on the brain to sit and plan out a will, for the benefit of your pet. Whereas your pet deserves the best care and love that money can buy, it would probably be more worthwhile allocating that time and effort to setting aside your finances to your loved ones, and perhaps making a provision that those who will so receive, should also take good and proper care of your loved dog!
    It may be better to do it informally, as (I'm thankful), you are able to rely on your relatives as trustworthy and capable . But, should they not be around or so, it would probably still be good to ask someone else (outside of your family members), who you trust, to take up this responsibility.

13. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Love Love Looove this response Dora M! I think if you're not willing to go the route of "setting up a will including your pet", then letting others know the importance that your pet holds to your heart, and actually asking them to take specific steps to care for your pet, would be a great idea.
    It's important that you stick to persons that you have great trust in, because it wouldn't be fair for your pet to be left behind with someone who is either careless or spiteful .
    It's our duty to take the right care of our pets, and if we go before them, it would be thoughtful and loving to let them know that they still "count", and that they are still loved by their master, enough that he/she would have put in place persons who would take the same special care that he/she used to.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard stories of people leaving their pets millions of dollars. That's pretty ridiculous IMO. If they love animals they could donate that kind of money to animal shelters and leave just enough for the pet to be fed with their entire lives.

What about me?

I'd probably include a pet in my will but I wouldn't leave all my assets to a pet. Better give those to someone who will take care of the pet after you are long gone.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would also include my cat to my will, I will make it a point that someone will take care of him and set an allotted amount to tide him over until he dies. I just hope that my estimate about how many years he still has to live and the amount needed to feed him until he dies is right, and the money won't run out as long as he's still alive.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I probably would if I knew I'd have to make sure that my pet would be taken care of. I wouldn't leave it money directly though and I never really understood it when people did that. I probably would just leave it to some caretaker so I know my pet will live well after I'm gone and I'd give the rest to family or charity.

17. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. I know where they are going when I die, provided my best friend outlives me. In the sad event I outlive her I really need to figure out where they will go. If I have a ton of money they can go to the Stevenson Center:

I think it is important to outline what happens to our pets after we die because you never know what your family will do. I've seen a lot of elderly dogs and cats end up at the pound because the family didn't want to take care of them after their owners died.

18. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    If I were concerned about my life I would definitely consider it. If my pet outlives me I want them to go to a good home and be well taken care of. It would make me sad if my pets had to go to a shelter in the event of an accident. I would happily set money aside for them to cover their care costs. Pets are a very important part of my family.

19. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    My pets are my best friends and an integral part of the family. I'd want to leave some money to someone I trust to take care of them, however you can never really be sure if that person is honest. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the money for themselves. I think the priority should be less about leaving money and more about ensuring there will be someone who truly cares for your pets.

20. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    No, when I die my dog will go to a new owner. They won't get a single dime from me.