Would you have a monkey as a pet, if you could?

Discussion in Pets started by Serena • Oct 25, 2014.

1. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    I have nothing against keeping monkeys as pets, but even if I have the opportunity to, I still wouldn't keep one. First, I'm not sure how to take care of them and I'm a bit scared of them. Second, my parents would be freaked out and would want him out of the house. So, I'd rather not get one.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My aunt had a pet chimp back in the late 70's/early 80's for a brief period of time, but it died pretty quickly. I was very young at the time so I don't remember it very well or the circumstances that lead to it's death - but I do know she was never really good at taking care of any animals, and probably tried to keep it in the house all day and then neglected it.

I wouldn't want to own one personally, because from what I've read they can be very temperamental and destructive in addition to simply being "cute". Considering how intelligent they are, I feel like it would probably be disorienting for them to have to live all around humans instead of other chimps. I would get depressed if I had to grow up among monkeys or apes and had nobody to talk to my whole life, wouldn't you?

Also, I live in an apartment as well, so that would definitely rule out the possibility, since I cannot even have a dog here.

3. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    My mom had one when she was younger, and she and my grandmother were keeping the monkey around the house. It's not so uncommon apparently, in the past, to have a pet monkey. :rolleyes: Based on their stories, the monkey was annoying and was kept for entertainment purposes. They fed it and let it hang around the coconut tree they had planted near the beach house.

I think they were happy mostly with the mischievous pet monkey, but I would not recommend it. It's just too much of a hassle.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think I would love to have monkey as a pet as they are so much similar to people. I think with little bit of patience and understanding they can be a great friend to you. The monkey are the only animal which are so similar to human beings. Hence having them in your home would be great fun.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Not really. I'm not too fond of monkeys to begin with so I probably wouldn't want one around me all the time. I don't hate them and If I found one without a home I'd maybe take it in and take care of it until I find a home for it but other than that I don't think I'd like it running around my house for years upon years. I still prefer cats and dogs.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, gosh. In Ghana you must have the secret to keeping monkeys for pets. I'm in the US and I've known three people who've had monkeys for pets at one time or another, and every one of those cute little monkeys turned into a nightmare of biting and destructive behavior. So, no. I wouldn't own one. I do think they're cute, though. Just not, so far, as a pet.

7. maxim66

maxim66New Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would. Monkeys are most likely quite a hassle to keep and I feel that i'd be stressful, at least on me. The restrictions of living in a home like mine for a monkey would most likely be quite saddening for the monkey itself, as I'm sure they love exploring and climbing, something that I would not like in my home as it'd most likely cause a huge mess.

8. Dakotasapphire

DakotasapphireNew Member

Threads:
    I will admit, I find monkeys very adorable. I even have this stuffed animal puppet from The Rainforest Cafe' and I've been hugging and playing with it all the time. The reason I have to say no is because monkeys are a hassle. They will tear your house apart. I think you'd either need a back yard with a really huge cage and trees if you wanted to own a monkey. I don't think I would be able to take care of one.

9. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I would if I could but it is going to be a lot of work. A monkey needs more care than, say, a dog or a cat. Monkeys are a lot more active, for a start and they can get to places which a dog, or even a cat, cannot get to. Plus they are incurably curious about things. So a monkey needs to be kept on a leash all the time, unless there is a big cage for it to play around freely. And I mean a BIG cage measuring a few metres by a few metres.

10. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    No. Nope. Never. Lol!

I have a Maltese dog as a pet and he's very active to say the least. He always wants to be out of his cage, and he really wants to play with me every single time that I'm home. And as much as I want to play with him, the sheer amount of school work and business work that I have is really taking up all of my time. He's still a great stress reliever though when I don't have anything to do and I always try to make it up to him whenever I have some free time.

Anyway, try to replace my active dog with a monkey. I'm surely gonna go bonkers if I have a monkey as a pet instead. I can't imaging myself going after that troublemaker and I don't have the time to train and educate it to not mess my work. So a big NO for lil' Wukong hahaha! :D