Would You Go For A Branded Computer Or Assemble Your Own?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by bomb2060 • Jul 19, 2017.

1. bomb2060

bomb2060Member

Threads:
    What would you rather do? Like me, I believe in branded computers. For example Dell, HP etc. Since they are made in a factory and each part is tested and compatibility guaranteed.

Unlike an assembled desktop computer or clone. Where you need to buy parts from several manufacturers and put them together. Often times they will have compatibility issues. Since people seem to fix optimal specification parts on rather low quality motherboards. What is your take?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Guess what? I have a friend who can build computers and has a computer repairs computers. One thing techs always say when you bring them a problem, don't second guess me and do as I say, lol. I know it by heart for being a generation that didn't grow up with computers, I tend to believe I know about them and do some silly things that brings me to my friend. Luckily for me he is patient and smart. I too prefer brand name computers and have a brand name laptop, Dell.

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    My cousin's husband is a computer technician and he's good in building custom computers. My hubby uses one and he's been using it for a long time now and our desktop is still working perfectly :). Of course we would love to have a branded computer but we just don't want to spend that much since we already have one that's working fine. And based on my experience, not all branded laptops and brand new ones can't be defective. I've experience it one time and I was really disappointed :(

4. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy a branded computer, such as Dell too. Though it's still possible to assemble the computer on our own, as my friend helped me to do so, I am lazy to go through all the hassles. Moreover, there's warranty coming with the branded computer, whenever there's any issue within the warranty period, I can just send it back for repair.

5. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know how to build my own, so I have no choice but to buy a branded one or an assembled 2nd hand one. Some PC shops also sell brand new computers, although they are assembled. The price is still expensive though, so I would just opt to buy an assembled one, but an expert will assemble it for me.

6. arachnophobik

arachnophobikMember

Threads:
    I'm rather build my own really, it's easier than most people would think. The hardest part of building your own PC is figuring out the overclocks, compensations and such, but that's all optional. I could buy a branded computer, but I think it would be cheaper, perhaps even a lot cheaper, if I build my own using various branded yet not overrated hardware.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I know how to assemble a desktop but I'd rather buy an assembled computer package from a trusted seller because it's often cheaper to buy an assembled computer than buy the individual parts and put them together. That is, if you know where to buy cheap but reliable computers. You'll get a few freebies thrown in like mouse, keyboard, and headphone.

The assembled PC also comes with a warranty like the branded ones. The major parts are branded because people just won't buy them if the sellers use unknown brands for the motherboard, hard disk, video card, and memory. The computer package has also been tested so you know that the parts work together.

They are much cheaper than branded computers which are also using almost the same specs. I guess that people who know how to assemble computers would know better than buy a cheap untested motherboard.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had owned 3 computers ever since and they are all clones which are assembled, not by me but by the vendor. It is actually pre-assembled and bundled with software for the price tag that is affordable to me. But presently, I am in the process of buying a new computer that is branded. It is an HP Notebook that costs 30k pesos (around $600). I am actually excited in waiting for the formal quotation from the vendor. It also comes bundled with Windows 10 and some othe standard software like MS Office.

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always had a regular pre-assembled computer; but sometimes they were modified. My sons and my daughter are all very good with computers, and if mine needed something modified or adjusted, or an addition of some kind, then they could do that for me.
    Now, I have my iPad , which is use for everything that I do, and I never need one of large computers, which to me are all like dinosaurs now. The iPad can do everything I need, and does it faster and easier than any of my computers ever did. Plus, I can carry it around with me when I go somewhere.
    I still remember when I had to travel across the country to see someone and wanted to take my computer along with me. It had that huge box, and I had to take it along in a suitcase as carry-on luggage because I didn't want to take a chance on it being damaged if didn't carry it myself.
    Now, I just tuck the iPad in my backpack, and away I go !

10. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I believe assembled computers can be better than the branded ones because you can use best hardwares to built it. However, I will never buy an assembled computer and always look for the brands I can trust. There might be problems in the branded computer, for example your branded computer using Intel i5 processor will not be better than an assembled computer using i7 ptocessor. However, when you are assembling your computer you can use best hardwares.

11. zolzarr

zolzarrMember

Threads:
    I would rather have the option to pick the parts of my PC. I spend the time to research on my PC as I want something which suits my usage. Since I am spending money on it, I am inclined to pick the brands which I have faith in. After I have gotten all the parts, I will send it to my vendor to assemble. They do provide some custom paint job as well. This makes me feel that the PC is specifically tailored and unique for me.

12. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I started with the assembled computer. My first computer was Pentium 4 processor 1.9 ghz. And then things changed. And in 2010 onward I am using laptop. For me that seems to be working just fine. And now from here onward I am sticking with the laptop in 2017 too. So I think depending on what is comfortable to you, things have to change. In such case desktop computer is lot better for home.

13. zolzarr

zolzarrMember

Threads:
    This is true. When it comes to purchasing laptops, we cannot assemble the parts ourselves. The laptop models are available at PC stores or even online. I feel that understanding our personal requirements is important when purchasing laptops. We are unable to make key upgrades to the laptop so we will have to get a new unit if our specification requirement for the laptop increases.

14. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather assemble my computer from scratch than to buy a branded one. It's not that hard to actually build one, a little research and some tutorials online will do the trick. Then eventually you will become more adapt to it and even create a better spec than those being sold at some computer shop with lesser budget.

15. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    For me, I'd go with the branded type of computer than build my own. I don't know how to build one. I know computer but my knowledge is limited to RAM speed and processor. The fact that it is customized, I'm pretty sure it will be more expensive than the branded one. Also, my usage of computer revolves around MS Office usage and surfing the web. So having a customized computer build is surely an overkill.

16. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I would totally go with building my own PC. I do not trust pre built PCs since they won't put everything you need into one. If ever they would do that then it would totally cost you an arm or a leg. At least if I can build my own, I can hand pick whatever I want to put in my unit and find the cheapest price I can find in the market.

17. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    If I had to answer that question a few years ago, I would say that I would rather set up my own computer... But currently, without thinking twice, I can say that I prefer to buy a computer ready to avoid possible problems.

18. Achraf

AchrafMember

Threads:
    to be honest it will be much easier if you buy the branded one id say unless you have time an dyou're good at that then i can make my own plus you can buy a branded one then you can add extra stuff at least you make sure it's never been used or opened first hand .

19. Achraf

AchrafMember

Threads:
    as long as yyou're good at it of course you can do it your owncause laptops aint that easy they are a bit complicated lol

20. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I was actually talking about desktops and I do not need to be good at building. I just need to look for parts that I actually need, buy them, and then bring them to a friend of mine or my cousin who knows how to build. Way cheaper than buying prebuilt units and most of the time, PCs that you build are better than prebuilt ones.