Would You Buy Or Adopt a Pet Online

Discussion in Pets started by Denis Hard • Sep 30, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just stumbled into a site that lists pets which can be adopted free. Much as they're trying to find a place for the pets to be and for most people that would be a deal that's damn too good to be true several questions stick out like a sore thumb:

1. How can you be sure the pet is safe to adopt? Some dogs and cats for instance are known to be vicious and it certainly wouldn't do to adopt them.
    2. If the pet has to be shipped over [to your city] who handles that cost?
    3 How can you know the personality of the pet you are adopting? Even if you make inquiries won't the person at the other end lie to you just to make you get the pet?

Considering all those points would you buy or adopt a pet from an online store?

#1Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. drpiggledy

drpiggledyNew Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think I would, for the reasons you stated. We're not talking about a new TV or sofa, but a living, breathing being that surely you'll want to meet in person first.

That being said, I do think the internet can play a useful role. We're thinking of adopting a dog in the new year (when we're settled into our new house with plenty of space for one at last), and some of the animal shelters around here, even the reputable ones, do put dogs on their website so you can browse and see if one of their animals might suit your situation before coming over.

Of course, you still have to go in in person, fill out forms, and discuss if the animal and you are right for each other, but the first step can be taken online.

3. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally wouldn't adopt or buy a pet online. I'm not really a pet person, I had a few pets when I was growing up, just a hamster and a goldfish. I have considered buying a cat but I wouldn't buy one online.

My girlfriend adopted an elephant for my mother as a birthday present. I thought it was a nice present as my mother loves elephants.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never adopt a pet I couldn't meet first. I would have to travel to the place, make sure it's legit and giving away healthy animals and actually spend time with the animal. Every time I've adopted, I've spent time with them first.. animals are not to be treated like they're disposable. If you end up with an unhealthy animal or a mean one, then what? They get shipped off once again. Always be a million times sure of the animal you bring home, they deserve to stay put once they get there. Always take into account their personality, what you will do if they're barkers and could disturb your neighbors, unexpected expensive vet bills etc. You have to know what you're getting into or there is no point.

5. kevin786

kevin786Member

Threads:
    Personally I wouldn't like to buy pets but there is couples of websites from where you can buy pets online. foopets.com is the best for virtual pets

6. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    No. I would need to meet the animal, and see the animal in person.
    If it's a site that just has pictures, and then you go meet them, it's one thing. But to have it actually shipped to you? No! You have no idea what you'll be getting.

7. Kcmoney

KcmoneyNew Member

Threads:
    I would never get any pet of mine via the internet without going and spending time with that pet. Animals have good instincts and when you go spend time with them within a few minutes you know if it is the right pet for you. When I spend time with a pet though I look for more than just instinct. I also look for any signs of sickness or problems. I also look for ability to learn commands and listens well. I like to have a well behaved dog inside and outside alike.

I currently have a 2 year old Rat Terrier, and 9 month old Lab mix. If I was going to bring in another dog I would first introduce them and see how they would react together. I wouldn't want to bring in another older dog that was going to be mean to the one's I have and I wouldn't want my dogs to be aggressive toward another dog coming in the home.

8. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    No, I definitely wouldn't buy or adopt a pet online. I would have to go and see the pet first. I would definitely need to spend time with the pet first, that way you know what you are getting and what the pet is like.

9. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    No way is it not quite risky to buy or adopt any creature online. How? And what about the shipments?. How can you know that the pet is truly alive it if it is alive how you would know that it is really health? I won’t ever mess up to buy or adopt a pet online I would rather buy it from someone I know and am sure of.

10. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely not, inanimate objects are one thing but living things are another. If you're going to be adopting something you want to make sure that you really want it and it really wants to be with you. You don't know the temperament of the animal and things always look different in real life.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Probably not, for the exact reasons outlined above; I wouldn't know the personality of the pet, or if the pet even likes me. I would prefer to ride to the shelter myself and see it.

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I think for some of the concerns you raised I wouldn't get a pet online. It's important to see the temperament of the dog and to also see the health of the animal. You want to make sure that everything you're told is true. I did see a site where you can adopt a pet as well for free it's basically people giving away their pets can't take care of anymore or people who have found an animal. I wish more people knew that you should never give away an animal for free (especially on craigs) because there are people who pick them up and sell them to labs and animal abusers who find this an easy way to pick up new animals to hurt. It's better to go to an animal shelter.