Work from Home Scams?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by luigi • Jul 18, 2014.

1. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass I know what you mean. I've never had it in me to cheat so I always did SBTV the "old fashioned way" and it just took way too long to get something significant out of it. I was on it literally all day before I got to the daily limit. I still don't know how I did it. When I think about how much time I took to work for peanuts, I get really depressed.

#41Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Nickchick@Nickchick I needed the money as fast as possible, and we all know how long Swagbucks even takes to get your money to you once you have requested a Paypal gift card. I just wanted to do an and everything to speed the whole process up. Doing SBTV the old fashioned way just took took too long. Way too long. Once they eliminated bots for it, there was just no point in working on Swagbucks for me anymore. I wasn't earning enough points n a decent enough time. It was, - as you said - working for absolute peanuts.

I don't know how I did it either. Guess we will do anything when we are desperate. I was just happy for the opportunity yo earn SOMETHING at the time.

#42Oct 4, 2014
  3. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    It's usually best not to work for any work-from-home site unless you can see that other people are getting paid through the site. I also avoid new sites for this same reason.

4. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have encountered a few of the work at home scams. I have been scammed twice. One of online and the other was offline. Now I have stopped investing in any of the work at home jobs offerings which ask for registration fees etc. They are all scams.

5. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    My worst experience ever was with PTC (Paid to Click) sites. During my initial days of online working I had been member to a series of PTC sites. I felt it is the easiest way to earn money but hardly thought about its credibility. I spent a lot of time and efforts on these PTCs but gradually most of them turned scams one by one. Fortunately I haven’t lost any money as there was no investment. I was a free member in all PTC sites. After this bitter experience I abandoned the PTC field as a whole. I know there are some genuine PTC sites but they only pay peanuts for our efforts.

6. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    For me, I only see WAH jobs as part time jobs. You know, when you have extra time and doesn't have any other productive things to do, working at home is the best option. The only problem these days is that a lot of scammers lure you to work for them for free. That's crazy right? That's why I always look for reviews before trying them out.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    There was a site that I was writing for that suddenly went down. Good thing I withdrew my money a couple of days before that happened, many people did get affected by this since they were waiting to accumulate a good amount before withdrawing. When sites are not doing so good I think they at least should let us know and pay for the work they have recieved.

8. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    @kamai@kamai There was a freelance writing site called "Bubblews" which was paying well. They stopped paying suddenly and a lot of people got affected by this. The pay rate was really good and for many this was a main source of income. They did not pay for many people. I think it was a well planned execution and they earned a lot for many more months from the ads.

I think in most of the cases we can't expect them to let us know beforehand if they are planning to close down because then the whole motive is defeated. They take this as an opportunity to cheat members and rob their hard earned money.

#48Nov 14, 2016
  9. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    @eppie@eppie I so agree with this. I have been scammed by iwriter. I am more alert now. It just hurts to loose such hard earned cash whose worth people don't realise. It is the amount of time and efforts put in that matters. I wish scammers would understand that someday.

#49Nov 14, 2016
  10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It may sound like a broken record but I was one of the many who were not paid by a notorious writing site. I joined that site in preparation for my retirement from my daytime job. Unfortunately, I was not paid and the site declared bankruptcy. Now, I am prudent in joining sites that claim to pay the writers because it is no joke to write articles or to posts in forum in the hope of being paid and later the site would not fulfill its part of the bargain. I am still on the hunt for good sites.

11. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy I think you are lucky that you did not leave your regular job for online writing assignments. Online sites are very unstable and even well-known sites may stop paying at any time. They got the advantage that they are not easily traceable. So it should be taken only as a side income or pocket money to take care of our bills and other routine expenses. Even though you get good money out of online jobs, future may not be so promising.

PTC field is a classic example. Even though most of the PTCs are scams people still fall prey to their unrealistic claims and end up paying money towards membership fee, buying referrals etc.

#51Nov 15, 2016
  12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @luckycharm@luckycharm I have recently retired and I am focusing on online work. With the closure of a content provider for forums, I have been scouring the internet for a worthy job to earn money. This is not to brag but I believe that I write well so I am choosy with the sites. PTC is not for me because I tend to develop mental fatigue with those pay to click sites. I have tried it twice and it's not really my cup of tea. What I'm looking for is a site that needs articles.

#52Nov 16, 2016
  13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    There was this website that promised thousands of dollars to test video games. Everything looks legit at first because they have a video and everything. You register, write a few things about yourself, and wait for approval or rejection. A few hours later, you receive your approval letter telling you how much money you'll make and how you're now part of the team. You visit the site to log in and the first thing that you see is a message saying ''Purchase this one-time tester starter kit for only 49.99 to begin your job as a tester!'' Huge scam. Anything that requires you to pay anything before you begin ''earning'' is a scam.

14. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I never look at them any more. But when I was just into writing on the net I did took interest. It look as though it was free until you came to the end of the application and there it was - a request for payment. Many got duped. They paid and that was the end.

15. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    If any company is asking for money while working on project. Then surely it is a scam. You can see that such scams are going to cause you a lot of money. And in due process you have to get rid of the offers from that. You can see that there are plenty of such sites in transcription, writing and the other VA work where they want you to pay for things. And that is sure as scam if you ask me.