Wooden Toys for Kids?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by David Scott • Apr 5, 2014.

1. David Scott

David ScottNew Member

Threads:
    I have always liked the quality and craftsmanship a wooden toy offers over mass produced toys but I often find they are hard to find or they are too expensive. I have thought about making my kids some wooden toys myself as I have the plans and tools but I simply dont have the time or a high level of skill.

Does anyone know where to buy good quality wooden toys at a decent price or are there any toy makers on the forum who could share some tips for toy making for a beginner? I would love to give my kids something special that will last a life time and that I have made with my own hands.

I'm sure I am not the only one who appreciates hand made goods :)

2. AB9100

AB9100Member

Threads:
    This sounds like a horrible idea.

It would be extremely dangerous for kinds to play with heavy wooden toys. What kind of toys are made of wood these days? I honestly do not think they are still being produced. I do not see them in toy stores such, as Walmart. So i doubt they are being produced by major companies.
    You would have to buy them second hand, and i have no clue where you would find them. eBay, and Amazon would be a good start. I would also check my local good will stores, and flea market.

You are sure to find something.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Look for community craft fairs in your area. There are still a lot of people who like to work with wood and often make wooden toys for children. I have seen wooden train cars and some very nicely carved cars and animals. The only thing to make sure to do is to ask about the paint or varnish used to ensure that it is non-toxic if kids will be playing with the items.

As far as making them yourself, I would suggest going to a library and checking out books on the subject. They probably have a few that will give you an idea of whether or not you are cut out to make these types of items. Younger children respond well to simple toys that they can roll around.

4. Elisa10

Elisa10New Member

Threads:
    Hey, it's not dangerous for kids, these toys liked by kids and they easily play with them, you can find these toys and other types of toys from Wowkart, it is India's best online toy store where buyers can easily find the item.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    There are handmade toys in some county fairs and bazaars. Most of the ones I find are puzzles and building blocks. Go for the smoother ones especially if the child who will play with these toys are still very young. Some cheap wooden toys that can be poorly made and may still have splinters and could be painted with toxic lacquer. Also choose the ones made from hardwood for durability.

These wooden toys, when taken cared of, may remain for generations and will make a charming collection long after the kids have grown.

6. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried Etsy.com. It's a great site for all handmade crafts. They have a number of affordable wooden gifts. I love all the wooden puzzles for kids. I am a big fan of wooden toys for children, I think they last so much longer and kids get more fun out of them.

7. secondhandsaint

secondhandsaintNew Member

Threads:
    Toy stores carry quite a bit of wooden toys. Brands like Melissa and Doug are great wooden toys, without being super expensive. You can check second hand stores like Other Mothers to see if they have them used, as it will make them a little bit more reasonably priced.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I like wooden toys also and I agree that they are far too expensive than regular toys. Nevertheless if I have enough money for it, I buy it to give to my cousins. Wooden toys are not just toys, they are classic. They are not just something kids will grow up. They are also for display when kids no longer play that later in their life will evoke memories without having it broken into different parts because of its durability. It something that could last for generation that you could actually have it passed on to your kids when you have them later.

9. Manni

ManniNew Member

Threads:
    Hello I am glad that I have found this forum . Especially with this topic . Seeking a rocking horse for my niece . But would like to buy any scrap . Has anyone ever seen this Beautiful Model .

And any experience with this ?

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that wooden toys are a great investment. They are well made and built to last. I bought a lot of Thomas the Tank Engine toys for my boys when they were little. Yes they are pricey but we saved all the boxed the trains and track came in and we have boxed it all up for our grandkids. You can find gently used Thomas toys at garage sales, second hand store, consignment stores, kijiji or craigslist, ebay. I've also bought wooden puzzles made by Melissa and Doug. You can get wooden blocks as well. I bought a nice set of wooden blocks that were gently used for about $2. For Christmas my 12 year old son asked for Keva/Kapla planks which are wooden blocks all the same size in which you can build the most amazing creations. I've found this store to have a great selection.

11. nate

nateNew Member

Threads:
    Hello,

I can recommend Wiplii's wooden toy, It's a company who sells educative toys, they are made to accompany their cardboard toys, to allow kids having fun creating their own story. Wiplii sells cardboard houses, castles, pirate ships and tepees. You will also be able to find costumes on their website.

here's a link :

Hope this can help :)

Nate

12. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    Wooden toys is very big here in South Africa and all the major stores carry stock. I do not know why anyone would say they are dangerous. I have a bunch of wooden toys that I will be passing over to my own baby as soon as she can start playing with them. Some of them my father made 28 years ago. the reason Walmart stock plastic is because they are cheaper to make and are imported from China as is much of their "Made in the USA" products.
    I respect a father that is making toys for his kids. Good guys like you are few and far between. If I can give you any advice it would be to not make the toys to intricate. You will be surprised what a kid can do with a block of wood that has four wheels screwed to it. Let them use their imagination and enjoy the ride.

13. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have wooden blocks for my children, but I could not let my daughter play with them because she liked to chew everything. I really wanted her to be able to play with them. I am sure you can find the types of toys you are looking for online at eBay or Amazon like others have stated. Etsy would be another good site to check out. I would definitely try searching for local craftsman to make exactly what you want. It would put money into your community by benefiting a local business.

14. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    It might even turn into a great way to make money. The trend in society is to start moving away from plastics and into a more organic lifestyle. There is nothing more organic than wood. Just be careful when using pallets for instance as some of them are chemically treated and certainly not safe for use by children. Always look out for Heat treated pallets if that is the way you want to go.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What will make people unwilling to switch is 3D printing. Already it's possible for kids to design and print their own toys and they'll most likely use the cheapest material their parents can get. That's why we probably won't be seeing too many wooden toys in the near future

16. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    My sister used to run a store on the beach in Panama City, FL that specialized in non-electronic and handmade toys. While she ended up moving and closing the store, the response was overwhelming. There are many websites and stores that are devoted to goods like this. There are even free plans/instructions online for making such goods. My father made my toy box for me when I was little and I had it so long, it was almost impossible to part with. I ended up passing it down to a friend, but had kept it with me through moves to nine different states because I couldn't bear to let it go, although I had no use for it.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Seems like there are lots of them around, take a look at these sites:

I just googled them, so it's up to you to research which is the best one to buy from.

18. Anna223

Anna223New Member

Threads:
    My baby just loves these toys, we order them to

because there are toys of the best quality, but it is very important to us!

19. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I am so glad many people here still make wooden toys and luckily they are not expensive. My daughters owns a couple of the traditional wooden dolls. They are small but she sure does enjoy them. These wooden toys can mostly be found in tourists areas which is good because there are many.