Wood Or Pvc-u Window Frames - Which Do You Have/prefer

Discussion in Home & Garden started by mbuzma • Jan 17, 2018.

1. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Which do you have/prefer ?

I have PVC windows in my house since they were actually cheaper, and I thought that the plastic would be more durable since wood can rot. However, I have read on another site that the plastic also degrades over time. Not sure if that's true, and if so, to what extent it degrades, but I would appreciate some opinions on this matter.

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We have steel window frames which are more durable than wood and PVC. I'm more concerned about security than aesthetics and anything else and I feel that PVC window frames will not give me peace of mind if I have to travel and be away from the house for days. I've read that PVC window frames can discolor after prolonged exposure to sunlight and that doing repairs is not that easy. If I have to choose between wood and PVC windows, I'd go for wood because it is more durable and more elegant than PVC. It just needs periodic treatment with wood preservatives like Solignum. Local carpenters here use old or used engine oil to protect against termites.

3. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Stainless steel windows, I assume ? I thought about getting those, but since security is not much of a concern for me, and they were more expensive I decided not do it. Wood windows might look better, but I'm too lazy to actually maintain them ( or to pay others to do it ).

4. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    If I am not mistaken, our window frames are made of aluminium. We don't get to choose what material we want to use as we bought the house from the developer and everything has been designed and built. I also prefer aluminium window frames, as wooden frames might get rotten, and I actually haven't see any plastics windows frames here. Aluminium frames are lighter and it will not be rusted.

5. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer PVC windows.