Winterizing your home

Discussion in Heating started by iagirl • Nov 26, 2013.

1. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    Last weekend I put plastic on the windows and blankets over the plastic on bedroom windows and rooms we don't use. I shut off the rooms we don't use. I have outlet insulation already installed. Not much more I can do to keep it warm in here that I can find. I heat with wood when I'm home so my furnace only runs at nigh at to keep it above freezing when no one is home.

I'm always looking for new suggestions to keep warm as I can't afford LP or any more electricity. Has anyone tried to hang the barrier insulation (silver stuff) in or on their walls. I've heard it works great in attics but what about walls?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We try to find places that maybe allowing warm air to leak out of the house like window jams and doors. It sounds like you have done a lot to keep the house as warm as possible. I always think about the people in the old days before central heating, how did they stay warm? I think the clothes they wore was heavier than what we wear today. Don't forget to wear a hat and socks when you go to bed at night they will help you stay warm.

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Sealing off leaks are one way to winterize your home. A few others:

1. Clean your gutters. Ice can form on them.
    2. Check your furnace. Make sure it works efficiently. Your energy-heating bill won't be as high.
    3. Clear out your ducts. If they are blocked, heat won't flow properly throughout your home.

4. yambfas

yambfasMember

Threads:
    Any tips for keeping an apartment warm (that I don't own)? I live in NC so it doesn't get too cold, but my bills are still outrageously high. When it gets really cold, I tend to shut off the heat and set up a small space heater in my spare bedroom and just live out of there for a few days. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now. But I'd love more ideas to help me save some money!

5. quitetenacious

quitetenaciousNew Member

Threads:
    Keep any rooms in the apartment that you are not using shut at all times. If you have central heat in the apartment I would keep it set at 68 along with the space heater should keep you toasty and warm and your electric bill shouldn't be too high. The biggest thing is keeping the doors shut. Also if you have outlets on an external wall you might consider insulating them. I know it's just rental property but for a few cents you can save on your electric bill and it doesn't take much time at all to put them in.