Will you retire early or later in life?

Discussion in Retirement Plans started by kad613 • Jun 7, 2013.

1. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I don't work anymore but have worked for over 20 years. I never thought about retiring. Now that I don't work, all I think about is how I can get back to work or do things to make money. I love work and making money, this period of time not working has been the hardest time of my life. People would say I should be grateful, but honestly I find purpose in hard work and think I will always want to be doing something, even if only part time.

2. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on how you have planned you future financial stability and family factors. If you think that your savings and retirement plan can accommodate your lifestyle at an earlier age of retirement, then you can retire early. Some people started out working for a good company later in life, so their plans may also have been extended and thus they need to retire later to cope up for the expenses they will use upon growing old like nursing homes, medicines, medical bills, travel, etc. Family can also be a factor, especially children. If your children will decide to have post-graduate studies after college then late retirement will certainly be an option if you do not have enough funds for matriculation.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I doubt I'll retire to be honest! I've not paid into any pension scheme, and it doesn't look like I'll be getting a job anytime soon. The job situation where I live is dire. The only option I have at the moment is to do my own thing and keep putting something aside for when I can no longer work. I think the way I want to go is writing. I obviously need to get busy working on my writing skills and build on them to actually make a living out of it, a challenge I'm well up for. I'll have to keep going as long as I can. Most people are retiring later and later now, so it won't be out of the ordinary.

4. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    I will absolutely retire early. Generally, I don't like to be employed to some company. I'm very business-minded. I'd like to run my own business and get my funds from there. I don't like working for an employer, I want to be my own boss.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll definitely be retiring later, if at all. I've got no pension plan in place either and no savings. I've still got a good 30 years of work left in me yet though so I'm sure things will change.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm in the same situation, @missbishi! I doubt I'll be retiring any time soon. I'll probably work 'til I'm knocking on death's door LOL I too have no pension plan to which I contribute, and zero savings. As soon as I can get a savings account started, I certainly will. But for right now, it's not possible as I'm already stretched to the limit as it is :(