Will you pay extra for rush shipping closer to Christmas?

Discussion in Shipping Services started by Zyni • Nov 16, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As it gets closer to Christmas, shipping and even regular mail tend to get backed up. It can take a long time to get your orders. So, are you willing to pay extra for rush shipping to make sure things get there in time for Christmas? Will you go so far as to pay for overnight shipping, which can be very expensive? Maybe you're well-prepared and don't find yourself in this situation. I try not to let it get down to the wire like that, but I have found cool things at the last minute before. Would you wait to buy something like that for a birthday or another holiday, or would you pay extra for shipping and get it now?

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I would, if the thing that I've bought is valuable, like a tv or a fridge or something. I have worked at a call center before and have come across a lot of people who have done this or have expressed that they would, so, I think that a good number of people will opt to do this "overnight" or "rush shipping" kind of thing, I think that it's great that that can be done, imagine buying something from Texas and having it shipped to Florida overnight, awesome huh?

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, it's very cool to get something so quickly. You will pay a pretty penny for the convenience though. Shipping charges can get rather expensive. I try to get all my ordering done early if possible, so I can avoid putting myself in the position of needing rush shipping or overnight shipping. I remember once last year seeing something I would like to get for one of my kids, but I found it last minute. It would never have arrived in time for Christmas with regular shipping, and to get it here in time would have cost twice what the item cost. I ended up waiting and getting it for her birthday.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find shipping charges to be so expensive and I wouldn't use them unless they were offered free or as a flat rate. I have a friend that does this all the time because she is impatient, but it costs her double each time. For some items it can be worth it if you have had a coupon and you saved that way, it wouldn't be so bad, but often I try to order early or to pick up from the store if possible, otherwise you still are waiting for the parcel to be delivered.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah yes, the order an item to the store option is always a nice one as well. Most shops will send the item to a store near you, free of charge (Walmart and some others do this). I've used that option before as well. Most big stores are a good 25+ miles from me (one way) though, so I only do it if I can plan to be in that area at the time for other things as well. It is handy though, especially for people who live nearby lots of stores.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't pay extra for rush shipping. Amazon.com is usually nice enough to have expedited shipping around the holidays that doesn't cost as much as other retailers.
    I think one year they even did expedited shipping on Super Saver shipping items.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have it in my budget to be paying extra for expedited shipping this year, which as you mentioned, can be quite expensive. I either prepare well enough in advance that I'm absolutely guaranteed to get it in advance of Christmas with normal shipping, or I buy the item in store and circumvent the issue altogether.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find that I rarely need to pay for faster shipping, especially around Christmas, because I will usually buy the most important presents way before Christmas and the presents and little gifts for other people I would just buy a few days before in stores in the mall or something like that. So it's rare that I need to buy them online. However, if I find something I really like and I have an intention to give it on Christmas I would definitely pay extra for shipping.

9. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I will buy expedited shipping if the situation is such that I need to. And there has been one time that I paid for .overnight shipping. My computer battery had bit the dust. It i snice that we have these options. Usually though, I am pretty organized, and don't have a need for it

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would if I felt like I had no choice and I wouldn't really feel that bad about it too personally aside from maybe feeling a bit peeved that I didn't do my shopping earlier enough that I wouldn't need to. Apart from that I think I'd just be glad to get my gifts on time and as far as the expense goes I'd just chalk it off to future savings and maybe I'll try and find some way to save extra on the following months to offset the extra I spent on December that I probably shouldn't have. I feel like if I stress myself too much because of extra shining during the holidays it will just affect my health because I'm usually already stressed enough as it is.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To avoid having to pay extra for shipping because you just must get what your ordered before Christmas day, it's always advisable to start your Christmas shopping early. If you don't mind it, shopping all year would even be better because you not only have to worry about not getting what you ordered delivered on time but you also don't have to spend a lot of money all at once which makes saving at that time quite hard.

12. jonthai

jonthaiMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't. It's Christmas,and the gifts i would buy would be for my family.Even if the gifts come late, I can always give them later, and I think they would understand the reason for it.That's why I always plan on purchasing gifts for Christmas with allot of previous thought.

13. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    I haven't yet, I try to shop way beforehand for Christmas now a days. I'm just getting started looking for deals and items in June and I'll ramp up in October so Black Friday is completely optional. If I do order something last minute and it's late, than no big deal, someone's Christmas just got extended a day or two.

14. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't like to get caught in such situation, that's why I do my online christmas shopping like two months before to avoid traffic. I find that quick shipping fees are way to expensive and I try to avoid them at any cost.

15. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I think I won't. Since Christmas is coming, and knowing that there will be tons of shoppers going crazy with their Christmas gifts and stuffs, I might as well shop while it's still early. Online stores does not totally offer free shipping and we all know that in most cases, rush delivery can be a bit costly, that's why I see to it that I order my gifts for Christmas earlier than the others. I'm not gonna pay for rush shipment in light of the fact that it would be too expensive since Christmas is coming. I think instead of paying for rush delivery, why not just add it on my Christmas gifts budget :)

16. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping late is a malaise that affects many people in my area. Due to this rush especially on Christmas eve when it peaks, you find multitudes making last minute purchases at higher prices than normal. It gets worse in the public transport sector with fares doubling. Yes, it saves alot to shop early.

17. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I normally have parties for the less privileged and get on to my online shopping spree at the end of the earlier Christmas season That is the time you get everything at give away rates.

18. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm the type of person that loves free shipping. Living on Oahu, we sometimes pay extra for shipping. I'd say no I'd not pay extra for expedited shipping. I'd rather send an email...sorry I missed your birthday, but your present is on it's way or Christmas came too quickly, sorry for your late Christmas presents, but it's coming. The present will arrive now or later, so I figure, they'd love it as long as I send it, lol.

19. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    I would not rush the orders if I ordered early. But if the orders were not there before Christmas, I would definitely rush the orders because I love to give gifts to my loved ones.