Will you ever travel alone?

Discussion in Travel started by 003 • Apr 25, 2014.

1. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely never travel alone! I always constantly need to talk to someone with me. I would also not feel safe either. I am scared of MANY things, so going alone would not be a good idea. It sounds really cool though! I have thought about it, but yeah I know it is not something I would enjoy completely. If I went alone the trip would be like the movie Mr. Bean's Holiday.

2. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I am definitely up to the experience of travelling alone. Though it is quite lonely, we will be able to have our own quiet and peace time for ourselves in addition to the beautiful scenery and view of the exotic places that we are travelling to. Maybe the first times would be scary and unfamiliar, but in the long run, we have done it a couple of times, we will realize that to travel alone is really a great experience to get to know ourselves more and also other places, culture and people. I am planning to make this journey happen also, and I hope I will find the courage to fulfill it and that makes me excited.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a bit fearful of getting lost, so I think if travelling to a certain destination for the first time I would prefer to have a companion at first, then when I'm already familiar with the destination, then I will be able to travel alone.

4. mmegs00

mmegs00New Member

Threads:
    Travelling alone is a great experience. As a female, I found it to be very rewarding. As well, I met so many great people along my travels, and I had no one holding me back on seeing the things on my bucket list. If you do have the opportunity to do this I highly recommend it. You never know who you will meet along the way!

5. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I have traveled alone many times before and always enjoyed it. During the summer vacations I would always fly alone frm Germany to visit my family in USA. Then I also spent 2 months alone in UAE in 2009 for my internship and 6 months again in the UAE to work there in 2013. It is possible you just have to make sure you have a secured place to stay and enough money to buy your own food, etc.
    You definitely learn more about yourself and become more independent.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

Hehe @sidney@sidney....I'm also not very good with directions, I'd probably spend way too much time getting lost and finding my way back to wherever, rather than just enjoying the holiday. I'm also a bit of a wimp, especially if I'm in unfamiliar surroundings. I suppose you could say it's being cautious for fear of being attacked or something. I much prefer to travel with others, after all there's safety in numbers!

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Have you ever been lost though? I have, and it's not pretty! I was fortunate enough to be accompanied by a stranger on my way to someplace. He really went of of his way to help me! I think the Lord sent him because He knows that I am stupid with directions!

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe, yes, I've been lost many, many times, and it's a very scary experience when you're in a foreign country you're not very familiar with! I remember once when I went to France with my university and I took off on my own to go clothes shopping (surprise, surprise LOL!). Once I was done with my shopping spree, I just couldn't tell where I'd come from, or what train I needed to get back to where I was staying hehe.

I just kept wandering about until some kind lady who was hanging up the washing called me over to her gate and asked me if I was lost. She said there a shady looking car following me, no doubt because they could tell I was lost. She was so kind she insisted on walking me to the train station, where she told the driver of the next train where I needed to get off. I rode up front with the driver, who delivered me to safety hehe I can laugh now, but it wasn't funny at the time.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Wow, you were lucky to been found by that lady, otherwise, who knows what could have happened, right? And it was in another country! Was it a college field trip? If yes, I wonder how you escaped the class and not be noticed? Lol.

10. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    You know, I think that it's a human error for people to by default assume that being alone is something that no e should experience. I remember being in high school and talking to friend about movies in the movie theater. I remember them asking me who I'm going with and I would say alone.

Pretty much all the girls I told that too called me a loser and said no one goes alone because it's boring, and there are a many other situations where people don't like to do things alone. I believe people should break away from this mentally.

I would love to travel alone, you don't need people in your life to live life.

11. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    That's an interesting question! I've been thinking about that not long ago. Here's what I came to. Maybe, I'll have my views changed in the future. I don't really know that for sure and I can't predict anything.

1. I will not travel alone to the place where I wouldn't be able to speak or understand the local language, especially If the residents barely understand the languages I speak.
    2. I will travel alone to the destination where I have, at least, one acquaintance I know who's down to hang out with me.
    3. I will take part in a group travel alone. That's a cool thing to do, in my opinion.

12. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Traveling alone is cool to do some "adventure travel". To make a trip towards an unknown place for you or any of your family member.When you are traveling with family for vacation purposes, is desired to reduce any stress factor by zero, and there is not better thing than go to the place alone and see if is a suitable trip for family or group of friends. You can assess the costs of food and inns, know better the leisure spots, meet some locals, etc.

To summarize, someone do the "scout" trip and afterwards make the decision to come there in groups.

13. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I did a lot of traveling alone when I was single, and I really enjoyed traveling alone. While traveling, I want to be with myself, I don't want to be bothered by people, I want to enjoy the travel, learn something new. Instead of getting busy with the traveling companions, I preferred to meet new people as I traveled to different places. However, after I got married, I rarely get an opportunity to travel alone. I travel with wife, and it is my new found pleasure.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really traveled alone but i always want to. I've thought about doing it but my nerves are holding me back. I've heard horror stories about solo travelers especially the female and it's the main reason why i'm so afraid to travel alone.

15. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I would love to travel alone! It would be kind of scary, but it would be a great adventure. I hope to travel by myself someday, I know there are risks especially since I'm a woman, but I like reading articles online about solo female travelers. They inspire me to follow in their footsteps, a lot of them encourage it. Maybe I would travel to a place I was semi familiar with/ somewhere where I knew the language, it might be less intimidating than a completely unknown place.

16. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I’m an avid hiker and mountain climber so I travel a lot. And I mostly do it alone. I prefer traveling solo because I can pretty much do anything I want to do. The problem with traveling with a partner or with a group is that you often have to make decisions wherein you have to consider what the others think.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think traveling alone is the ultimate freedom,because you cannot let people have control over your dreams,and lets face it sometimes, we can't wait for the perfect traveling campanion to come along. I think being alone is really great for the soul though,and when you travel with other people you give up that control. Are you really alone though,besides it gives you a chance to meet new friends when you go down this road.

18. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I've always traveled alone and I've never felt lonely. For me it works just like the opposite: I feel free and happier (I love meeting new places, trying new cuisines and meeting new people :)).

It's a kind of sensation that can't be explained by words alone because it goes far beyond that. :cool:

19. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have never traveled alone and to be honest I don't know if I would enjoy it or maybe I just need to get used to it. I enjoy company where ever I go because I think I would feel too lonely. I am so used to being with family where ever I go. Right now I do go out because I have my daughter and her company is the best.

20. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Traveling alone isn't a problem to me. In fact, It is something that I am used to. Sometimes it's good to have company but I the trip would still be I didn't have any and I would still enjoy the sights and scenery and be able to explore quite comfortably.