Will the Internet Kill Cable/Satellite TV?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Adeal4u • May 22, 2012.

1. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Did you ever try using internet streaming? I do know that internet streaming is much cheaper or could me much cheaper. To me it's the same concept of buying a phone sim card service that you pay for monthly, when in alternative you could have Skype credits or subscription and it's all through the internet and it just costs much less through the over all price.

2. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried streaming, but at the same time the quality is not great. Also, I stream on the computer and I don't have the adequate cables to pass on the signal to the TV, I am guessing it should not be a big deal, but it's an expense even so.

3. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I think once mobile data is fast enough and cheap enough there will not be a need for television feeds. Expect the needs the broadcasters manufacturer. It's going to be a constant battle between tele and net for the next decade or so.

4. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    The quality is not great? Really? I've never heard anyone say that, that's interesting. I thought internet streaming quality is much better because you can use HDMI cables and it can quite a good experience even better than satellites or cables and it can be really much cheaper. I don't know though, I guess it depends on what channels you're trying to stream, or movies.

5. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, that has to be the issue, eventually I am not using the proper channels to stream and that is why the quality is poor. As for HDMI, that would just pass the signal to the TV, so if the signal is poor on the computer it will be poor on the TV.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather watch series on television as it is more comfortable and easy on the eyes. However, in our country, even cable networks are delayed in getting the latest episodes in tv series. So most people end up watching them in the internet. As for me, I would rather wait for a new episode in tv than strain my eyes watching in my iphone or laptop.

7. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    I'm convinced that Internet and streaming services will soon kill cable/satelite tv. More and more people are opting towards the former, and in my country people don't watch TV that much anymore. There are many households which don't even have TVs, finding that it's a waste of time, space and money.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cable and Satellite TV will be around for a little while longer. No matter how fast your internet connection is, there always will be some buffering problems when you are streaming something online. Those who want to watch anything without such kind of stuff will opt to get their entertainment on cable/satellite TV.

9. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    It's going to happen sooner or later in my opinion because the internet has already taken over if you ask me. People are streaming and watching shows online more then ever. In fact, all my friends including myself don't even use cable anymore because we found the internet to be able to satisfy our needs. There's so much to watch over the internet the best part is it's all on demand. You watch it whenever you feel like it and it'll always be available. This is what the cable/TV providers are falling short and the is giving the power to the consumer. As the consumer we like to be in control instead of having some schedule dictate what we can or cannot watch at the current time.

10. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people who no longer have cable/satellite TV. You have access to everything you need to watch on your computer devices. I recently just gave up my satellite services. I was paying way too much for something that I didn't even watch. I delayed it for a long time thinking I would miss it and to tell you the truth I have no regrets. I don't miss it at all and I am saving over $100/month.

11. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    Oh, yeah, undoubtedly. With the current online streaming services widely available around the world, and with their expansion to "lesser" countries from an economical point of view, I have to say it'll eventually take over the market, probably put themselves in some sort of monopoly.

Although, pardon me for being obsolete, I still use TV in the detriment of these online streaming services. Maybe some people prefer the old habits! :)

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:For right now I hope not for we have television and no computer at home. We need cable for watching television. Sometimes the cable doesn't hook up on the internet so you can stream television shows on demand on your computer too. We need cable for now.

13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    There are some really good arguments in this thread so far. There are too many factors to consider how fast the Internet will kill cable if that even happens. I think if people have no problem watching their youtubers live then live sports shouldn't be a problem. Just think of all other things we can do live on the Internet like skype. There will always be a generation of people slow to catch up and maybe even refuse to upgrade to the latest gadgets.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it may happen, but probably not for awhile. Not everyone has unlimited internet, and streaming takes up a huge amount of bandwith. I would give up my directv in a heartbeat and use something like ROku if I was able to. It is just one of the things that I need to evaluate. If I had unlimited and highspeed internet I would be a happy camper.

15. leojosa

leojosaNew Member

Threads:
    Hi

I agree with Ke Gordon.
    I am just ready to do this when unlimited and high speed internet is cheaper (or FREE)
    and wider available.

16. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that many people will need cable TV soon, because it costs too much, and you can get almost anything on the internet if you know where to look. So I am trying to cancel my subscription and just watch things that I like online, as I find that it is much easier and more accessible to do this anyway. In the future I think that cable TV companies are going to have to try and think of new ways to make money - because the current model isn't working at all.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought the same a few years ago when the Internet basically became my go-to medium for gathering and extracting information and entertaining myself. However, the cable/satellite TV seemed to have survive. Although the number of subscribers has significantly declined, there are still people who like to watch cable and get movie and television ideas from there. Providers have also expanded their services, giving birth to Internet Cable and letting subscribers experience the best of both worlds.