Will the Internet Kill Cable/Satellite TV?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Adeal4u • May 22, 2012.

1. butterfly1

butterfly1Member

Threads:
    That is what I was starting to see as a common trend. People were starting to feel ripped off. I cannot just waste my money like that. I love my Netflix.

2. HunkyDoire

HunkyDoireMember

Threads:
    Although I agree with some of the people who have already posted to some extent (that cable tv is already dead), I think it's going to take 10-15 more years for the internet to replace cable tv completely. I just got turned on to Roku 2, and absolutely LOVE it. All my husband and I pay for is Netflix and Hulu Plus, there are a ton of free channels too. We love it, and all for a small fraction of what we were paying to have 200 some odd channels of crap that other people decided we should watch..lol

3. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I'm from Israel.

4. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with that, I mean, big companies just take our money as long as they can while we don't have alternatives, but when those alternatives come their prices come down, but a lot. How fair is that really, they can charge what they feel like it?

5. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I agree and it sucks. There are many areas in real life where this happens though and not just cable or satellite TV network. It's a bit unfair and I don't like it because they profit off of your electricity for nothing. In fact, it's not they who pay for the service that they provide, it's you who pay for the electricity and cable connection, they don't have to pay anything to provide you that. It's just weird.

6. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    What I'm saying is that cable services do NOT need to rely on advertisers like TV does. Cable subscriptions are paid for by individual customers who like the content of that particular cable network. HBO subscribers pay for HBO because they like the original shows and content. Advertising has nothing to do with it, and people like that. They don't have to be slaves to advertisers.

7. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    That's true. I agree with you on this point and I guess I'm not that experienced on the subject but I do know here they completely rely on advertisements. It doesn't hurt to replace all that with internet streaming today.

8. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    We pay for everything, there is no regulation. Sure, they might have costs to establish the service, but once that is working they don't have that many costs, just profit at our expenses and the proof is their prices drop as soon as competition appears.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that sooner or later cable will disappear and there will be providers on the internet that offer the same deals, only cheaper. Probably they already do. These days most people have large flat screen televisions where they can access the internet and watch movies, news, etc.
    So, I think that cable will soon be something of the past.

10. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    If only everyone did everything for free, we would be living in a better world.

11. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think we could go that far, but I feel that we are really far away from the fair price that a service or product do cost. We should go back to that and level up the quality of living. Offering fair prices is a good way to start doing that.

12. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Money is collapsing. There is an ever increasing debt which will never be paid off and it will only increase till it's completely dead, and this is how our economic system is in the world, if you can see that a lot of people are in national debt. I would mention though, when I said that everyone did everything for free, it was an alternative for a system to provide everyone the service they needed for free, where there is no system of money but system of provision and survival of humanity. That system of freedom of economics and moneyless society is the best solution ever within our environment, but it wouldn't happen due to hatred and disunity among the nations. If I woke up every morning, going to work in whatever field that I've found a job in, where in this world everyone cared about others and cared to do the job they were ought to do, we could all trust each other that once we go to the supermarket, we don't have to pay for anything. I guess evil is the issue to solve and not necessarily make up systems, because eventually, all systems will collapse. It's a deep subject of mine.

13. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't watched tv in years, Netflix has been more than enough for me. I don't usuall watch shows as they're coming out because I like to binge watch them without waiting. Netflix works perfectly for me in that regard, and flipping channels is no longer my idea of fun.

14. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if money will collapse, but our job as consumers is to take advantage of the competition that exists, by doing that we are lowering the prices and taking some of the profits from those huge companies as money we don't spend.

15. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    You're absolutely right. But it's a matter of waiting and seeing what's going to happen. Greed is certainly a problem and will have consequences and will not go unpunished.

16. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Greed, corruption and so on. Sadly those values overcome what should be other values and we consumers are seen exclusively as a form of income and not as people who have health, needs and are equal to them.

17. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    @Sunflogun@Sunflogun I would absolutely agree with you because it's a sad fact in this world. You do realize that greed will only make our society go into a loophole and one day the bubble of the entire educational/financial system will absolutely burst. I think greed is what led us to this point and the people who desire the higher places and higher power as well as materialism. It's sad but truly it will ruin things. That does not say though that we shouldn't try our best to be wise in how we spend our money. I know for sure I am wise in how I spend money and if I had to choose between cable or satellite or internet, I would check the prices and what's best for me and get the best plan.

18. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    The main issue about what you say is that most people simply don't care, like you say they just go for the cheaper service and don't see the big picture behind it. Only if we united ourselves as consumers we could take deep and further action.

19. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    That's very right. I think that it's not just the cheaper that matters, it's the quality whether it's good enough or not. I think that a poor person who does not earn much will go to the cheaper because he will just be thankful and find it as good enough, he can't afford to pay more.

20. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    The quality from what I've seen is pretty much equivalent, the problem is that we are forced to pay for channels and services that we don't use because those are a part of the package. Customizing what we want would be a great improvement and a way to make competition to streaming.