Will the Internet Kill Cable/Satellite TV?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Adeal4u • May 22, 2012.

1. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The internet may not kill satellite/cable TV altogether, but I think it will affect it adversely. I mean cmon, It's already happening! There are so many people, more people than ever before watching TV programs online, and scrapping their TV subscriptions, me included! I may prefer to watch everything on TV, but why would I when it's so much cheaper to watch online, as opposed to having to pay eye watering prices for satellite/cable TV?! I think the younger generation especially will choose online streaming over TV.

It may change if the greedy satellite/cable companies reduce their fees drastically. But then again, online streaming will over time get better and better, and who knows how much better it'll get with modern technology advancement? In the future, we'll probably be able to stream online programs straight to our TVs. For all I know, this may already be the case!

2. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had cable for 3 years now and I don't miss it at all. There are as many ways to watch your favorite shows that you never have to miss an episode. One of my favorites is project free tv.you only have to wait one day after it airs on television.

3. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think the internet will kill cable completely as there are so many elderly that would not be able to watching things online or know where to look for a place to watch their favorite shows. Then, we have nursing homes and assisted living and they don't have time to go help individual to look for new shows to watch.

Years, and years from now, cable will be a thing of the past if something else that can replace it, but in the meantime, I hope the cable companies will just cut down their prices for the rest of us.

4. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I think eventually pretty soon cable tv might be a thing of the past. This isn't totally down to the internet itself, its also down to the greed of the companies that are setting the insane prices.

My subscription, before I cancelled it worked out at 1200 a year! That's a lot of cash to spend on watching television. I think people used to watch TV out of boredom or because there was nothing better to do but now there all manner of things to keep you busy, that's why I think a lot of people are turning their backs on subscription TV

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Ask yourself has satelite TV killed terrestrial? Almost, but it is still common. Internet TV may well eliminate satelite TV, but not for a couple of decades. What makes internet superior to satellite?

6. butterfly1

butterfly1Member

Threads:

I am right there with you. I like to do what I want when I want in every area of my life. My husband and I unplugged the tv over 3 years ago. We watch Hulu for free and we share a Netflix account with a friend. There is no way that I see myself paying $60+ a month for a dang cable or
    satellite. And, just a side bar…Netflix has acquired 4.5 million new customers in the first quarter this year according to USA Today. So I think that the internet tv is WINNING! TV will die.....hahahahaha

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People have been fed up a long time.. paying so much money for only a few channels out of the million they get and didn't ask for. I personally only watched 3 channels and paid for so many more. So pointless and such a waste of money. Then to be bombarded by commercials and force fed the world as the big guys want us to see it? No thanks. I cancelled and haven't missed it a day.

I'm not sure the internet will kill them exactly.. but they are definitely starting to see the error of their ways and are going to make changes to how people subscribe. Finally. Unless they have already, it's been a while since I paid attention. I'll never go back.. I'm no blind consumer ready to suck up all their advertising; I want nothing to do with it.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it hasn't killed it already, then I am not sure that it will. Most everyday households seem to have the internet these days, though not every household will use the internet to fulfill their TV entertainment needs. I know that a large portion do. All one has to do is look at torrenting statistics to see that. But I know of a few households, including my own that has both cable TV and internet - and largely uses the internet for watching TV shows.

9. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I think it absolutely will. I think that because of the internet's capacity and what it can offer, it has basically overridden the entire system of communication and media. I know a lot of people that abandoned their TV, replaced it with the internet for both streaming and movies and all. I just know that TV used to be good back in the day, but when we have the internet with all of its abilities and implementations, why do we need a TV anymore?

10. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Cable will definitely survive the Internet because people love their TVs with their cable options like HBO, Showtime etc. Certain cable subscriptions can provide programming that can't be shown on regular TV due to regulations. Cable subscriptions have subscribers who pay for that content, therefore HBO etc. don't have to depend on advertising dollars as much as regular TV shows.
    Being able to have options is important to people, that's why I think that cable will survive. Plus, as long as advertisers are willing to pay (and they will continue paying in order to get their products widely marketed and bought), TV has a near unstoppable amount of incoming revenue.

11. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    People now are going to more advertising on the internet via YouTube, via other networks that provide live streams and TV channels which are produced online. I don't know if the advertisement is a good argument to keep TV cables.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, because some people will prefer watching tv because they don't like to wait for the video to buffer, especially if their connection is poor. We both have cable and internet connection too, and I do enjoy watching some channels there like Thrill, Animal Planet and National Geographic.

13. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't think that it will kill it, but will surely force cable TV to drastically lower their prices and to relocate themselves towards the consumers. Their absurd high prices and their absurd content offer needs to change, seriously, who wants to pay for over 100 channels if we only watch 10 or 20 at the most?

14. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live, we receive channels through satellite freely without paying a single coin. We have a thousand channels and it's all completely free, we don't even pay any tax to do with the TV, but I guess it depends what network you would be using or connected to.

15. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Give it max one or two generations. Most channels send crappy shows, stupid reruns, dumb advertisement... Good riddance to it when it'll go.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Probably not in the next 10 years or so but I do think it will happen. Without any licensing or subscription revenue though, it's likely that such services would rely heavily on advertising in order to generate funds. This has the potential to become very annoying!

17. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I need to say lucky you and believe me that in many countries that is not the reality, everyone has to pay for TV, it doesn't matter if it's cable or satellite. Well, eventually if I buy my own satellite I can get it for free, I never looked into that.

18. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    That's sick to be honest. I think for those countries that have to pay for satelite or cable or TV, I think getting an internet with really high speed for live streaming through networks, would be much much cheaper. Don't you think?

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's quite cool. Which country are you from? Over here we pay $12 per month for our cable subscription. And that's from the cheaper provider. Some providers charge a bit more than that.

20. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I got rid of cable TV several months ago, and although I miss it sometimes, I'm glad I did. We have been consistently been ripped off for years, by one company after another. They start with a low monthly price, and just keep raising their rates! I wish we had a comparable alternative.