Will my debit card work outside the country?

Discussion in Travel started by Scottie • Apr 14, 2014.

1. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    I live in Jamaica and im traveling to amsterdam soon. I was just wondering if an interact card works outside the country?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your card will work outside the country only if it's International, and to my understanding only the credit card would work. Even with an international credit card you usually need to call your bank for them to unblock/habilitate your card in order for it to work abroad. Either way the safest thing is to call your bank and ask them if your particular card will work in Amsterdam. If not, there are always travel cards you can buy, which are usually easy to get and the fees you pay are cheaper!

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have Visa or Mastercard, they're accepted virtually almost everywhere in the world. If it's not, then if your debit card was issued by your bank, then you'll need to ask them if you can use that debit card outside your country. If not, then get a Mastercard from another bank and use that when you travel abroad.

#3Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  4. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    My Mastercard debit card has worked most places I've been, and everywhere I've been in Europe. I don't think you should have a problem as long as your card is with a major international provider. You should also notify your bank about your travel plans before you go, because otherwise they are liable to freeze your account thinking your card has been stolen. The only issue I ever had using my card was in Japan (it was hit or miss there), but it always worked in 7-11s there. If you have an issue, try finding a major international chain or store because it's more likely to work there. Good luck!

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes. Visa, mastercard and american express are financial services that are valid internationally. As long as the establishment where you are going to use your debit card accepts the financial service in which it is provided by. Furthermore, it should have sufficient funds for it to be accepted if the financial service is not the issue anymore.

6. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Most debit cards are associated with an international group of machines that will allow one to bank from outside of the country. We have Interac and Exchange here in Canada and can use our cards anywhere there is a symbol on the machine. It is a good idea to check with your card provider for locations when you are going on a trip. Some bank machines will accept them and some hotels and restaurants might as well but it is best to know in advance. When I am traveling, I usually look up a couple of bank machine locations in advance to that I can get cash if I need it.