Wifi

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by classicnyer • May 15, 2012.

1. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    A few years ago, I had cable and was paying every month for internet service. Since then I had to give a lot of things up due to hard times. I'm back on the internet now, but with a tablet that connects to wifi in the library and in coffee shops. I wish I'd had that option before. It's way better to use free wifi than it is to pay for cable every month. Now I can't really see what the benefits of cable were, besides the fact that it was at home.

2. Animachine

AnimachineNew Member

Threads:
    There is so much information and entertainment on the internet that cable is hardly a match for it anymore. It would be nice if someone made a website where you can just surf the channels and "watch tv". At first thought, it seems advantageous to be able to choose exactly what you want to watch without relying on what is presented to you. After a while though, I don't want to search for what I will like to watch. I would rather my computer just KNOW ;)

3. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    Yeah, if you live in a coffee shop or in the library...

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    True! Besides, getting free wi-fi from open networks isn't always the best. First, they're not really secure. Second, if too many people are using them at once, they get very slow. And third, what if that library decides to make wi-fi WPA protected after a while?

5. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    Depends on circumstances. If someone is having trouble paying bills or isn't saving enough money every month, then cutting cable and using free Wi-Fi is a very smart move. Sure, you're not connected at home, but you're not completely cut off either, especially as more and more places start offering free Wi-Fi. There are a bunch of public spaces, including parks and ferry boats, here in Seattle that offer free Wi-Fi. On a list of priorities, cable TV and home internet should not be near the top. Financial stability and savings for long-term goals should.

6. xtinguish

xtinguishNew Member

Threads:
    There is filmon.com. It's owned by billionaire Alki David. I agree with you though, the tv in 10 years will be outdated unless they develop high tech tv's soon.

7. freelove89

freelove89New Member

Threads:
    From recent personal experience, if you become friendly with the local librarians, they will often tell you that it is OK if you stay all day and use the library's free wifi. If you live near a larger public library, this won't be an issue, as you can sit in a quiet room without being noticed. It's much better to get free internet, unless you need a fast and private connection for data-basing or gaming.

8. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Our whole school actually has free Wi-fi, but it requires your student number and password (hence, it's only open to students and faculty). That's how I've been getting by when I'm not at home (where the DSL is), though it can prove to be quite... distracting at times. I mean, you're sitting in a 4-hour lecture and there's Wi-fi within your grasp? Yeahhh.

9. l33t

l33tMember

Threads:
    WiFi is a very convenient tool to use if you have many internet-connected devices. Cable modems still provide WiFi, so I wouldn't give up cable unless you have a very good connection to public places. I still use cable because there are no WiFi hotspots near my home.

10. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I work from home and have to have internet access here. Plus, with a four year old in tow it would be really difficult to concentrate on work from a library, etc. Since I can write my internet off on my taxes (since I'm self employed) I keep it...I get the money back at the beginning of the year. If times got tough enough though, I'd totally do this.

11. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I like to use free Wi-Fi, but you have to be careful because that connection isn't secure. There's a rule I have when I use public Wi-Fi, I only check email, watch YouTube videos, and read articles. I try not to order anything online or check my PayPal.

12. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    I use both a secure network (my house, library) and free Wi-Fi spots. I don't mind using PayPal or ordering using the free/public Wi-Fi spots since it is my neighbors, so it's not always free sometimes he password protects it. It's on Public Wi-Fi when he is playing video games. If I'm using any other free/public spot I would never purchase or use paypal/paza, etc though just for safety reasons.

13. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a smartphone or tablet to connect to free WiFi in my area, but generally, when I go out with my laptop (which is once every blue moon), I'll only use the internet for basic things like watching a Youtube video, reading the news, or downloading some quick pictures online. If I'm downloading a video or checking PayPal/bank accounts, I'll simply use my home WiFi or my friend's WiFi since she's my neighbor and always password protects it.

14. mikydiky

mikydikyNew Member

Threads:
    Nowadays, there is wifi everywhere I go. Whether its in the mall or at a store, wifi internet most of the time is offered free. There seems no need for Internet at home either because smartphones are capable of tethering (sending out a wifi signal). Many people have shifted from having their home personal Internet to wifi on their phone and connecting to it with their tablet or laptop. Wifi is convenient and very useful.

15. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Wifi is a great option for laptops, cell phones, Ipads and anything capable of it. You just have to make sure that you have a good anti virus because you are using a shared connection. Otherwise it is a great feature and I use it a lot! Also if you have neighbors who have Internet and you know them well enough to ask, they may let you tap into their Internet connection for your wireless device too.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have cable in my apartment and I set up a wifi because each of uses a computer. The cable is just faster than the wifi. I'm a night person. I am more productive when it's dark and most wifi places are closed. I lived really close to a Starbucks and often go there to get out, but fortunately, I don't have to depend on it for my sole source of internet service.

17. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    Using WiFi is definitely the way to go if you're and active person and hardly stay indoors. Also, it depends on availability. Most of the coffee shops/public area around my place has WiFi, so it's very convenient. However, I do agree that privacy may be a concern. Since you are connected to a public network, tracking other users' cookies isn't that hard to do. They can steal your login information and hack your account.

This hardly happens in most public places where people are just minding their own business, but the risk is always there.

Whether I have a home connection or not, I'll still feel more convenient if the places I go have good and working WiFi. (That's how internet dependent most of us have become)

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can watch pretty much any tv program or movie on the internet, so cable is really getting unpopular nowadays. Good thing that you live near a wi-fi hotspot, so now you have free internet access.

#18Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  19. Karan Singh

Karan SinghNew Member

Threads:
    WiFi has a lot of advantages. Wireless networks are easy to set up and inexpensive. They're also unobtrusive -- unless you're on the lookout for a place to watch streaming movies on your tablet, you may not even notice when you're in a hotspot. We'll also review what it takes to create a wireless network in your home.