Wi-fi Free Phone Service

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by thomas pendrake • Apr 20, 2015.

1. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed that there are apps and even phones designed to give "free" phone service as long as wi-fi is available (text, voice, and data service included) I had a house guest using this option. What kind of experience have people had with this type of service? Would it be worthwhile for a person to give up regular service, or is this just good for a back-up to regular service?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's best as a back-up because wi-fi is not always guaranteed or reliable in some areas. It depends where you are and whether you get 2/3 or 4G and don't forget as it's free, you don;t get any recourse with customer services. It can save you money though if you have it as an option.

3. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    I recommend a hardline phone with no frills, just the basic line with a wired handset(no wireless stuff). The reason I recommend that is because everything else requires power to work so in the event of an emergency or power outage you may be cut off from phone service.

Phone lines are powered by low voltage and basic phones will work even when the power goes out to your home. If you can live without a mobile phone and instead opt for an answering machine you will find yourself saving quite a bit of money, quickly.

If you rely on a wi-fi app you compound the safety issue since an internet outage OR power outage renders you unable to call out, I highly recommend you go with a landline that does not use a wireless handset.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have considered going back to a hardwired phone. I don't like that when the phones go out, no one here in the neighborhood (that I talk to, at least), has a hardwired phone, so when power/internet/cell service is down, especially during hurricanes, we're cut off. Cell service is spotty here at best, and wifi does cut out sometimes. I have been considering checking into this, so hopefully this thread will be the prompting I needed.

By the way, does anyone have information on how the wifi phone service works? Is it through apps, or does one simply connect into the wifi system with a cell phone in some way?

#4Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  5. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, you need a wifi application pre-loaded into your cell phone to make it work with wifi frequencies. You then just use it as a normal mobile phone. T-mobile provides wifi service. There are dual mode hybrid phones as well, which work with cellular as well as wifi frequencies. Go to the link below for a primer on wifi telephony

6. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have been through several emergencies when phone-lines were down for days. Keep both a cell phone and a hard-line if you worry. A number of alternatives exist for keeping your cell phone charged. Hand crank chargers, autos, solar.

7. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Little portable devices called "Power banks" are now available in the market and are relatively inexpensive and long lasting. You don't have to worry about cell phone charging anymore. You can even charge your mp3 players, Ipad, Ipod and so on.

8. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't think that WiFi free phone services are that good at all.I believe there's a major difference when it comes to these services, and actual professional paid ones because it can be more secure, and offer much more than those free ones, but if you surf the web just like a newspaper, then that would be alright.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are actual wireless carriers that utilize WiFi networks to provide services. However, cellular and data services through WiFi are supplemented by traditional wireless networks. These services are dirt cheap, but they're not really worth the hassle. You're making a huge mistake in accessing public WiFi so often, which is often the only option available. There are better solutions out there.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well of course you can always make phone calls on the PC as well. Google voice and yahoo messenger and Skype for instance. Magic Jack is low cost phone service though you can work with PC. It is pretty good, and not that costly, but I think it is not as good as traditional phone service will be.