Why does a potty trained dog start pottyying inside a new home?

Discussion in Pets started by pfaemaster • Jul 15, 2014.

1. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    My sister has a dog that is 13 years old. She moved recently and she works full time. When she gets home from work or the store or someplace, she finds that he has made several messes from pee or poo or both. Why is that?

2. Nook

NookNew Member

Threads:
    Hi again! :)

Either two things could be happening in this situation and I fear for the dog as well as your sister's emotions.

The first, which is likely, is caused by the fact of new territory. Dogs love to mark their territory - it's a primal instinct. There's truly no way of actually forcing the dog to subdue it's instinct. The dog will continue to mark it's territory with it's urine and such so as long as he finds it's needed. Luckily, your dog should soon find that it marked it's territory suitably and he should go back to normal.

Now, the second reason as to why your dog is urinating around your new home, could be caused from the fact that's it's 13 years-old. Yes, your sister's dog is getting old and because of such it will begin to lose control of it's bodily functions. Your sister will just have to accommodate the dog's needs into her's and hopefully it will all work out.

Again, good luck with your endeavors and I hope you find a solution to the problem.

3. gi_joy

gi_joyNew Member

Threads:
    First thing I'd recommend is that your sister should take her dog to the vet to make sure there is nothing wrong with her. Sometimes when a potty-trained pet suddenly starts having accidents everywhere it may be an indication that the pet is sick. Otherwise, the dog is probably having more accidents now that he is older. Another reason why he might be peeing or pooing everywhere is because he's in a new, different environment. Moving to a different place can cause some stress on dogs because they're not used to the change. If that's the case, it would be best to be understanding and wait it out, as eventually the dog's toileting habits will return to normal .