Why Do We Swing Our Arms When We Walk?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by tallulah • Aug 5, 2017.

1. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I have always wondered the reason why we swing our arms when we walk. There is no human being on planet earth who walks with their arms pinned by their sides. Everyone walks with both arms going up and down like a pair of well trained army boots :).

I once tried to walk with my arms pinned to my side and I looked like a mechanical robot. It wasn't nice at all. It wasn't that uncomfortable, but it was really weird.

So why do you think we swing our arms when we walk?

2. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    This is food for thought. It's funny because I have done the same thing...tried not to swing my arms...it didn't work. Have you ever paid attention to the rate at which people swing their arms? It may be fast, it may be slow, might be high, might be low...another amazing fact about human nature.

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure but I guess it has something to do with balance. What I notice is that we normally swing each of our arms in motion of the opposing leg. I did try walking without swinging my arms and even though I couldn't see myself, I though I look funny. I have a schoolmate way back in high school who walks like a robot, yes she doesn't swing her arms most of the time that's why her classmates calls her a robot.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    When we walk swinging of the arms happen simultaneously, they are like a synergistic action, not one we can decide not to do or should be that of a big surprise, it's natural. The main purpose for arm swing while we walk is to kind of project our body forward and to maintenance balance. If you decide to walk without allowing your arms to swing naturally your speed will be quite slow and you'd lose balance easily.

5. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    @tonyb@tonyb Well, I thought about the balance, but projecting the body forward, I have learnt from you. This is very interesting, and actually makes a lot of sense.

#5Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  6. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I really don't know to be honest. I guess because it feels so natural for most of us and we just want to stretch around and move our body. It could also be the fact that we see so many other people do it natural that we may unknowingly ourselves. Maybe it is just the fact that many of us just can't stay still.

7. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I think swinging both arms while walking has an aesthetic value, just don't over do it or don't exaggerate much cause you'll look funny. In pageantry and modeling, I think it looks elegant when candidates swing their arms while walking. Swinging of the arms provides counter balance and momentum while walking, so we can easily stride.

8. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    :pI just tried walking without moving my arms, its a good thing there in no one at home right now as I did look really silly! Imagine how it would look if everyone walked with their arms pinned to their sides.
    Swinging the arms is a motion that occurs automatically, we never even realise that we are doing it when walking. It helps to maintain our balance and speed when we are walking. And the way we move our arms as we walk, probably also distinguishes us from the next person.

9. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I think this also applies to public speaking as well. I am yet to see someone who talks on a podium with their arms pinned by their sides. The arms are always moving around. I think it helps with expression and also increases confidence and improves body movement sync.

10. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    @tallulah@tallulah Not only in public speaking, but also over the phone conversations. In fact in customer service, a learner is advised to create hand gestures even when over the phone. So I agree with the confidence part.

#10Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  11. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    I always wondered this thing myself, but I can't find any reason for it.
    I think that maybe our bodies are made in that way so we an only walk in a proper rhythmical manner if we swung out upper limbs around us.
    The children used to play like this, but they were imitating the penguin walk.
    It was a very funny thing to watch.

12. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is because of the momentum created when you walk. It serves as a counter balance to keep us erect. Plus it's way cooler to walk that way than walking like a stiff stick.

13. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't swing my arms while walking and I'm really comfortable and fast at it. Haha. Just kidding.

Well I think it's natural because it propels you forward and gives you balance at the same time.