Why Do People Still Buy Cable When They Have Internet Entertainment?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by hades_leae • Aug 12, 2016.

1. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    If you watch media on the internet, you know that you can get so much more from it than with your cable service. Internet is so much better, and it's also cheaper. I like not having to deal with leasing a cable box. Getting a router can be done threw the company, or I can buy my own and only need to pay for the internet service.

The internet provides so much more entertainment, so why do people bother with cable still...even satellite?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with your money-saving tip about using the internet and doing away with the cable. However, internet speed in this part of the world is not reliable and sometimes the video is freezing. If we would use the internet as alternative to tv viewing, we would surely lose our cool with the slow internet access. The cable here is quite expensive now at $15 per month and considering that we have 2 cable connections - 1 in the bedroom and another cable provider in the living room - that is quite expensive at $30 per month. But we have to endure the expense in order for our viewing to be enjoyable.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We changed from Comcast cable to DirecTV, and really, I would like to drop that, too. We actually do not watch much of anything on the television, especially since both Bobby and I have the iPads, and we can each watch what we want to and not disturb each other.
    However, we do watch the election debates and all of the news on Fox News Channel; so we have to have satellite in order to get this channel.
    When the weather is bad and storms come through, then we want to watch the local new so we can tell if there might be a tornado; however, as soon as the weather turns stormy, we lose reception with the satellite. Thankfully, we also have a regular little antenna on the roof, and it picks up all of the local stations, so we can use that to see what is happening with the weather.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It boils down to choice as some people don't have computers, laptops, or tablets like my parents. For them cable is an option, and with sports channels you need to have cable.

The prices of cable do need to come down, but these days they are bundled with broadband so people take it on as it doesn't seem much more, but don't look at the contract prices. There are also issues with the internet, with limited choices and also exceeding broadband limits.

If you have ever lived in an area with poor broadband you will appreciate cable is a better choice. I have lived in areas with such bad reception, cable is the only option for most people or to download shows.

5. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Seems a bit foolish at this point, and it is probably just because they have probably always had it, or they have the money to the point where it does not matter to them, and in that case I am a bit jealous. I cut the cable a long time ago and have yet to look back, and I get everything I need from the Netflix and Hulu services. It was easy to make the decision for me, but maybe there is something I am missing that is keeping the others around.

6. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I want to step away from satellite because the monthly bill is way to high. I've cut our package to the lowest level possible that'll fit my family's viewing style. I seriously want to cut the cord and look for other options, but my husband and I both want our local channels and we want the option to watch sports.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's actually a matter of choice. Your question is no different from asking why people still use the radio when there's already television, the Internet and iPods/MP3 players. Also, radios and cables can give you ideas on what show or program to watch. There is also a wide variety of programs to choose from, something that may not be aired online unless you pay a hefty fee. In this regard, cable can give you more savings.

8. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I can't speak for other people, however, I am subscribed to cable TV because it is the cheapest entertainment method available to me. I pay just about $7 per month to watch movies, musics, news, TV shows, reality programs, sports, travel shows and many others. However, I have to pay $13 per month to use limited internet service.

9. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I actually have watched everything current;y that has to do with the elections here in America over the internet since early last year. I found out about all the candidates over the internet, plus you get to see much more by watching on the internet than on TV, and that's the same with news stations. They always provide extra content over the internet.

All of the speeches that I've watched have been over the internet. I like the part where you say ya'll don't disturb each other with the ipads, this is perfect because everything you watch on TV, well almost like some TV shows etc can be watched over the internet. All those cable channels definitely have internet content, and allow streaming of their broadcast content.

10. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Cable transmission is instantaneous since the signal travels through light, is a shame you can't store your favorite shows and watch them later unless you buy an external device for it.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sadly, some of us don't have unlimited internet. I would love to have some kind of streaming device, because I know I would be able to save lots of money. That is really the only reason that I pay for a satellite connection that has cable channels. If I did not, I would not be able to see the programming I want to see. We would not have a good signal without a satellite, as we are just too far away from the cities.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hey we have cable and .we have 3 lines paying 72.55! I notice that people have been paying 15.00 per line in home charges for cable, that's cheap! We have cable because we don't have computers not even a smartphone. We pay so much more for cable here in Hawaii on Oahu! I asked for Senior Citizen discount, cable company doesn't give any such discounts...oh well!

13. Forty Five

Forty FiveNew Member

Threads:
    I've been thinking the same for a while. I just can't understand why anyone would pay for the limited cable TV when you can get all that content along with so much more on the internet. My guess is that some people just prefer the simplicity of TV as opposed to entertainment on the internet. Either that or they can't cope with the expenses of having unlimited internet that's fast enough to stream.

14. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    One thing to know is that internet is not cheap in every part of the world. There are still many places where you can't get unlimited internet subscription. In that case it becomes more economical for those people in such areas to go for Cable rather than the internet which is supposed to capture better.

15. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    Because cable is much easier to use for people. You just turn it on and you get to watch whatever you want. And in some countries cable is much cheaper than internet. Cable is mainly used by older people who aren't familiar with the new technology.

16. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    In our home country cable TV costs less than internet. I can watch unlimited TV programs just by paying about $8 every month, however, to use unlimited internet service I will have to pay at least $20 every month. Internet speed is relatively slow in my home country, which is the another reason why I use TV for entertainment.

17. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have one of the top providers (only 2 are available here), and supposedly have the fastest internet plan available. I am the only one in the house, and the most I use at once are two devices, yet when I'm streaming, the service lags and sometimes locks up. This is why I have held onto the cable TV for so long, but I"m sick of it, and have decided to put up with the lags and stalls, because I'm tired of paying them for television services on top of internet.

18. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Agree with Binu, here in India, the cable costs much less than the broadband bill. Also, it feels more convenient to watch on TV rather than on a laptop or a desktop. Most of the websites which offer live streaming on the internet are either fake or way too slow and they also consume a lot of data. Satellite connections are much cheaper and the clarity is really good.

Why would one want to use up the internet data just to watch some TV shows or premier live sports events when he/she can get those at a much cheaper rate? I spend around $12 a month for both the internet and the satellite cable connections combined which I feel is reasonable.

19. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    In the mean time, conventional television as a configuration as of now is being inundated by the open-endedness of the web. From standard spilling administrations like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Moment Video to specialty locales like Clever or Pass on to YouTube superstars—to name only a portion of the alternatives that fall under diversion—the sorts of moving pictures accessible and the approaches to devour them have never been more prominent. Inside this more extensive range, link as an idea could turn out to be simply one more specialty, one channel among numerous as the voracious web swallows all that it experiences.

20. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Not everybody knows how to efficiently use the internet. It is way easier for a 90 year old man to sit down and watch something automated than to struggle to get to what he wants around a personal computer. Other people just prefer the television/cable over the internet.