Who takes care of your pets while you are on holiday?

Discussion in Pets started by Dora M • Apr 3, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always try and organise somebody to look after my pets long before I go on holiday. But sometimes there is nobody available, so I have to pay a person to come to my place and take care of my cat and chooks while I am away. This often isn't easy for me as I have to trust that person.
    Who looks after your domestic animals when you are away?

2. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    We are good friends with my neighbor so most of the time I would leave it to my neighbor to take care of it for a few days when am away. My neighbor has the same pets that I have so it would not be an issue since he knows what to do with the pet.

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    We have good friends who live a mile away from us - so we take care of each other's pets when on vacation. That being said, we both have cats, so it's a bit easier than say a dog. I know asking others to care for a dog can be more of a responsibility. I can't imagine the fees associated with boarding pets - I know it's expensive!

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a frugal, single mom barely making ends meet, I don't go on vacations, but when I have to be gone all day because I'm going to be working a lot of hours, I drop off my dog at a relative's house because his brother is there, a different colored dog from the same litter, so they just hang out for a while until I can pick my dog up.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Depends how long it is for. If it is only a Friday-sunday break then I will usually put 2 large bowls of food out and leave it at that. If it's any longer then I'll usually give my neighbour a box of cat food and maybe some chocolates or something for the trouble. I do the same for them as well.

6. kalinaprim

kalinaprimNew Member

Threads:
    My sister is the person for this job. She gets along with my dog really good and I am sure that he is in good hands. So the problem here is not who will take care of my dog, but the fact I don't have time for vacation. :((( I heard of hotels for dogs. I am thinking of trying it, because my sister has been going abroad for 5 months and my boss sends me to an another city for 2 weeks. Have you heard of this kind of hotels? Opinions?

7. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    Our local vet offers a pretty neat service where they offer to take care of your dog(s) for just $20 a day. You have to buy the food but I still think it is a pretty great deal. The only reason that I don't use it is because the dogs are basically in a kennel all day, so I just elect to keep them in the back yard (it's pretty big) and have a family member come over to feed them once a day.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I take my dog with me of course!! I usually go to my mom'm home at my hometown on holidays, and my dog is always with me! I couldn't leave him behind, and my mom would kill me if I did, because she loves my baby too and those are the only opportunities she and my family get to see him.
    I got him at the beginning of the year, so truth be told I haven't taken a large vacation yet, but when I do I will definitely leave him with my mom. She is a vet and I'm sure she'll care for him the best. I wouldn't leave my dog in a dog hotel unless I had absolutely no other choice.