Which Of Your Pets Has Lived The Longest?

Discussion in Pets started by littlewitch66 • Jul 3, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I had a cat that lived until she was 19 years but some live much longer. I'm proud to say that most of my animals have lived long lives and have been well looked after and much loved.

Which of your pets lived the longest?

2. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    We had this craze for pedigree but we later went in for strays. We had this stray - Naaki who lived for 16 years. All our pets have left behind great memories but Naaki was special. She was the most docile lovable pet we ever had Through her we got our Niimi and Bhagira who also lived for many years. mylotnaaki.

3. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My dog Sasha is the longest living pet that I have had. She was eleven when she died. Sasha was a Boxer so eleven years old is quite a good age as the average for that breed is 8 - 12 years. The sad thing is that pets don't live for long enough!

I do miss Sasha terribly. She is buried in my garden and I have a huge photo of her beside my bed. She had four pups when she was three years old but I only bred her the once.

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Our family pet who lived the longest was a pug - he lived to a ripe old age of 17 years. We had him at his best and cared for him up to his last dying breath. He was such a joy to everyone when he was still strong. He enjoyed riding with my nephews and he was such an intelligent dog that you can't refuse to take on a ride simply because he'd go ahead and claim a seat before they could even take theirs.

It's good to know that cats can last up to 19 years and even beyond. My cats never go beyond five years. I've tried to avoid getting too attached to them but find that I can't help but love these gentle creatures.

5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille 5 years seems such a young age to die. Have your cats died in road accidents or through ill health? I must admit that one place we lived was close to a main road and I had more than one knocked down and killed. My 19 year old cat lived where there was very little traffic and just died of old age.

6. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    The only pet I had was a golden retriever, and he lived for about 14 years, even though their lifespan is 10-12 years. He was a very nice dog and I loved him so much. I still didn't get any other pet, it's hard to bear the pain of losing it. But it is also nice to have someone around you always.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We live in a suburban village and our cats love to go out and mingle with other cats and explore alleys. The males often get entangled on fights with other macho male cats in the neighborhood and would sometimes go home severely wounded. The female cats were at least 'safe' from those fights but one died while giving birth. I wish I could just make them stay at home so they'll be safer but when the males reach one year of age, they can't be stopped from exploring other places. I have three female cats right now and they're more than a year old. I try to make the home fun for them by setting up pipes that they can explore but the other month one was in heat and ran off with a neighborhood cat. She did not go home until two days later. Well, at least she was safe and I realize now that she's pregnant. :D

8. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I remember growing up and there was a big tomcat that lived on my grandmothers porch-and there was lots of woods in the back of her house for him to roam around in Pennsylvania. This cat lived to be about 20 years old and I remember how big and slow he was as he got older-but he just wondered off somewhere,probably in the woods and we never saw him again(I just want to think he is still out there somewhere-haha). I had a cat recently that was a Manx though-and he had no tail-but we got him at the animal shelter and they come originally from the Isle of Man. This cat was more like a small dog though and was lots of fun !

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I had a dog that died at the age of 15 (almost 16) due to natural causes. It was a very complicated (to be honest, more than I was expecting) loss and I really miss her. :(

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    My longest living pet died when he was 12 years old. He was a cat that died because of kidney failure. He used to be caged, then he became an indoor cat, although he would occasionally roam the streets when he got a chance to escape. I will always miss him.

11. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    We had a beloved family pet that lived to be 17! My brother and I worked on our parents so hard for that cat! It was heart breaking to lose him.

12. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    My Grandpa's turtle had been living since on his teens. My grandpa is dead for a long time and his turtle is still alive. They can last for centuries. Cats and dogs have the average of 10 years but they can live up to 25 if they are well maintained.

13. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, we all know a cat has nine lives and I worked hard every single day of my life, to ensure that mine lived each one of them to the fullest. When he was just a kitten, he used to drink milk on a daily basis, until he was old enough to be weaned.

I really loved him. In fact, with the same magnitude he hated rats. He really gave them a hard time. However, as much as I look loved him, the merciless hand of death took him when he was 3 years old.

14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Our first cat lived to be pretty old, and I cannot remember but it was around 19. He was a good little guy but towards the end it was sad, but he had a good long life.

15. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    I still didn't live enough on my own to own my 'oldest pet'. I will not count any pets at my parents place, because they didn't live long enough to see old age. That's because they never received any medical treatment aside of the basic yearly shots that we had to pay unless we wanted to meet some nasty fee.
    In essence whenever the animals were sick they were ignored, and I know how cruel that must sound but it's because nobody cared.
    So, when I finally moved out I decided to be much better pet owner. I have a cat which is only a few years old, and she is 100% healthy and I make sure she stays that way.