Which do you prefer - coach or train?

Discussion in Travel started by psmith140 • Jul 16, 2012.

1. psmith140

psmith140New Member

Threads:
    Coach

Cheap
    very good for budget travellers
    gets you from A to B
    can be uncomfortable
    slow - traffic

Train

smooth ride
    comfortable
    faster - no traffic
    expensive
    train stations can be frustrating

So would you pay more money to go on a train for comfort or pay less for coach but be more uncomfortable?

2. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I am at an age now where I definitely enjoy my little comforts so I would say travelling by train would be my choice. I feel safer on a train and its more spacious.

3. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    You all must be from Europe. I havn't been on a train or Bus in years. I just use my car. I remeber the days of train and bus travel from my days in Europe. I always found that the train was fun. You meet lots of entertaining people n a train.

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    If I had to choose, I would almost always choose the train over the bus...in most countries it is the better option. A tad more pricey but generally a most enjoyable experience. If I really need to save some dollars, then I would take the bus - but it would not be my first preference...for all the reasons you so aptly and accurately stated above!

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I've actually never listened to the term "coach" before :p We don't even have subway stations here, just buses, and I ride them almost twice a week to go downtown. For longer distances, I use buses as well, as there are no train stations nearby either.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From the previous responses, I'm assuming a coach means bus for us in the US. I much prefer to travel my train. The bathroom facilities on a bus on are horrible. Buses also stop at places where I would never stop if I was driving. Not to mention the potheads smoking on the bus. Yes, it's illegal, but some drivers are too afraid to do something about it.

I have only taken short trips on a train, but it was very enjoyable. There's something about a train ride that's very soothing and relaxing for me.

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I like to travel by train, but it can be prohibitively expensive in the UK, so I don't do it very often. I also enjoy coach travel, though. I've taken several coach holidays over the years, and made some good friends. Once you've travelled together for a day, a coach holiday can be very sociable and interesting, and there are plenty of comfort stops for the smokers.

8. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I think I'd go for a train ride especially if I want to experience some old school traveling. But I won't do it when I'm in a hurry though and I'm on a tight budget. For some reason, train rides in American are more expensive!

9. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    I prefer to ride the train. I know it might be a little bit more expensive, but it's the American way. There is something enchanting about riding a train. The thing I like most about it is being able to hear the whistle and other noises the train makes. I know it may be a little bit more expensive, but with everything the train offers, not to mention the faster speed, I'd take the train any day.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm from New York and I don't own a car, so I take the train all the time.

For me, it would depend on how far I have to go and how long the ride is. I could endure a cheap and uncomfortable bus ride for a few hours. If, however, I had to make a much longer trip, like from New York to Florida, which is about twenty four hours by train, I think I'd prefer to go the more comfortable route if it was in my budget.

11. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I am young so I prefer coach, because its more cost effective. I travel a lot and since I work from home now I am trying to minimize on how much money I spend traveling. Coach works best for me.

12. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    I always pick the coach option over train because I am always so worried that I will fall asleep and miss my stop! I know it's more comfortable and probably quicker to go by train but I simply can't relax. The best coach I ever took was in Bolivia where I paid £9 for full cama on a 17 hour journey. I could recline my seat back, fully, and there was also a rest for my legs. I am a tall person and couldn't even reach the seat in front of me. Far better than any English or European coach I have ever been on!

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, it took me a minute to catch that, too. I hear "coach" as a class....like on a plane, for example....not a specific mode of transportation.

And as for my response, I use both of them regularly. I need both generally to get to where I'm going and it's not an option of one or the other.

14. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    For longer journeys, I prefer train rides. There are more toilets in a train and are a lot cleaner than the solo, small ones found on coaches, if at all. I'm not sure which of the two is more eco friendly though, but I'd choose a train just for the smoother ride.