When It Comes To Litterboxes, Try Thinking Out Of The Box...

Discussion in Pets started by S.O. Price • Aug 25, 2015.

1. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Pardon the pun... :) I have three cats and it gets expensive to feed them all their various foods they need to eat, plus all the cat litter; it really adds up.

When it comes to buying them a litter box, I refuse to pay 20+ bucks for a covered pan and even the non-covered ones can cost some money as well. My cats are pretty big so the regular boxes they have in the cat section are quite small for them. I go to the storage section of the grocery store and find regular plastic storage boxes for less than 7 bucks. Sterilite is a good brand. I saw one recently on sale for $6.89. Here is a link for the kind of box I am thinking of:

If you really want covered boxes, try cutting a hole in a tall cardboard box and then turning it upside down over the litter box. The cat won't know the difference and you can save some money. Heck, you could even cover it with contact paper or wallpaper to make it look decorative if you want.

So you see, it does pay to think out of the box!

2. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid, the cats' litter box was a tall rubbermaid container in the basement. We cut a hole in one side, put the litter in it, and then put the lid on to keep the dog out.

My most recent cat, we went with disposeable boxes but not the commercial ones. I picked up those roasting pans from dollar tree ($1/pan or sometimes $1 for 2 pans) and filled them with super cheap litter. Each week, I tossed the whole pan. That avoided me messing around with scooping the litter and/or washing the pan which was overall much easier on my allergies.

For the bunnies' litter box, we used one of those sterilite undebed containers that I had previously used for shoes before the great shoe purge.

3. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Disposable pans. That's not a bad idea. 50 cents a pan wouldn't be bad. I will say, I have 3 cats so I have 5 litter boxes total so that could get a little price every week, along with all the litter I buy. Still, I will keep it in mind for future use. Thanks!

4. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    We only had one cat and only used one pan per week so it wasn't a large expense. I can see how it would be impractical with multiple cats for day to day use. My sister (4 cats) uses hooded litter boxes for normal use and scoops twice daily but when she goes on vacation, she uses the disposable ones so that the cat sitter who stops in once a day can just toss them and replace.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a great tip. I have always begrudged having to pay out a fortune for something that is essentially going to get covered in poop.