What was the worst product you ever bought for your pet?

Discussion in Pets started by Esperahol • Sep 9, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    As more and more people opt for a furry baby instead of kids the market for pet profucts has expanded. Whereas before pet products had to be focused on the needs of animals, there are a lot more products focused on making a quick buck. So what product(s) did you decide to take a chance on only to find it was more hype than substance?

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly! A lot of them are worthless. I don't see why I bought the ball where the salesman actually explained its use for puppies that's starting to bite anything... I don't know whether this puppy we have is just grip harder but the ball popped.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would have to say that the worst product that I bought for my cat was Whiskas. My cat wasn't able to pee, and a catheter needs to be inserted into his genitals for him to be able to urinate again. I researched a bit, and found out that Whiskas is quite a harmful cat food. It's made of crappy ingredients that threatened the life of my cat. So I never bought Whiskas ever again.

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I bought what was supposed to be some kind of crib shaped like a strawberry for my dog. Since they didn't seem to measure it properly, it ended up being a little small for my dog. Seems like she got tired of it and destroyed it into a million pieces of get revenge.

On the bright side, it was just about $15.

#4Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  5. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Sidney about the Whiskas. I used to buy Whiskas treats to save a buck. It's not worth it, because they are not good for your cat. I have a bag of dried Whiskas food, and neither of my cats will touch it.
    Now, I buy Greenies. My only problem is that my young bengal would eat the whole bag if I let her.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I haven't gotten any that were really bad. They usually end up failing simply because my pets reject them. For example, a tiered cat climber/post/bed/tree would be great for some cats probably, but my cats just ignore them.

7. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    O.K. first I am so glad I read about Whiskas. I did not know this food had the potential to harm my cat. That is just terrible and I am sorry to here about these poor cats. But my worst buy was this item for my cat. It was called a kitty condo. It was basically a little kitty cave, and then a second little cave on top. I thought my cat would love it because he loves to crawl under the blankets and peek his little head out. So I brought it home and he completely ignored it. I figured I would give it some time and still he never even looked at it. I even moved it to a real quiet spot in the house and that did not help. But luckily I had a friend who wanted it for her cat so I sold it to her. Her cat loved it. So it all worked out in the end.

8. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    Do not buy Hartz flea and tick applicators/liquid form! I bought this for my puppy after discovering how expensive it is to buy tea and flick treatments from the vet. Can I just say, OMG! There were only a few fleas on my poor puppy at the time, but after applying this stuff they seemed to double...OK maybe even triple. It was horrible!! When I took him to the vet for help with the fleas they asked what I used. I told them and their reply was "that stuff attracts more than repels so you'll buy more". Yikes! Now, I don't know if this applies to other products by Hartz, but if you want to rid your furry friend of fleas and ticks, spend the money and get the real stuff from your vet or at least buy the brand your vet uses!!

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I bought some Pounce cat treats from Target that my cats absolutely hated. They wanted nothing to do with them. They were soft chews. I have three cats and thought at least one of them would like them. I bought 2 bottles and ended up just donating them to the local pet shelter.

10. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    Actually, we did not buy it so apologies if this counts as off-topic but anyway. Our cousin bought some dog toys for our dog. They were colourful, squeaky chew toys with different textures on them. Our dog sniffed them, held one in her mouth briefly and then ignored them. She would sniff them if you offered them to her but did nothing more. So, overall, they were useless although there was nothing wrong with them asuch.

11. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought anything terrible, but I will nominate the worst product that I've heard others buy: so you dog doesn't like getting his nails trimmed, and he's scared of the normal way to do it. Instead, the PediPaws (or something like that) is a rotating file that will trim and shape your pet's nails. It's loud! Like scary loud. Especially for a pet who is already scared of getting their nails cut, this sounds just stupid. My only friend who has bought it says it's at the bottom of one of her closets, collecting dust.

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I purchased one of those small pet hair vacuums that is suppose to brush your dogs hair and suck up hair at the same time. I was feeling kind of hopeful with that too because one of my dogs sheds ALOT but the product I found was completely useless! So I just opted to use the manual brush instead which worked so much better. You just have to pick the hair out of the brush instead of hoping it will be sucked into a vacuum making things easier. Oh well... if the product actually worked it would sell like hotcakes! Maybe someone else will come up with a version that can actually be useful someday.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think shampoos etc are a bad purchase. Animals aren't made to be washed, let alone stripped of their natural oils etc.. shampoos are not healthy for their skin, no matter what you find on the label. At best, it won't irritate them, which doesn't mean it's good for them either.

14. sharjeel

sharjeelBanned

Threads:
    My canine now and again has extremely dry skin, and he'll scratch at it a ton.

It did make his skin less dry. Anyway it Stank. Wow goodness, did that splash scent awful. We have very nearly a full jug provided that you need it.

The best item we've purchased is a yellow-hued oil that is for problem areas. It's oily and chaotic, yet it beyond any doubt does work!

#14Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  15. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much any actual designated 'toy' for my cat...she'd rather play with just about anything else!
    And a lot of the time pet beds are a joke, too.

16. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    A Christmas stocking full of useless treats for my dog. I know it sounds like its not a bad thing but my dog didn't like any of the treats in it, so it was a little pointless really.