What to do if you drop your phone in water

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by deannatroupe • Oct 3, 2012.

1. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    Okay I know this is about saving money, and this might seem a bit off topic, but I don't think so. Isn't it better to fix something than have to buy a new one? That's my thinking. So this is what happened to me. I dropped my Samsung Admire in the toilet the other day at work. Quite naturally I was freaking out as I've become quite attached to that phone and didn't have the money to buy another one at the time. I asked some techie experts what to do and they and Google both said to soak my phone in a bag of rice. So I did just that. I'm happy to report that that fixed my phone! I do have some issues with the battery (it doesn't think I have one). I fix that just by taking the battery out and replacing it. I just thought I'd share.

2. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard this too several times. I know quite a few family members and friends who have put their phone in a ziplock bag with rice and have had success with it. You're right, you have saved a lot of money by doing this rather than throwing a good phone out and buying a new one. This is a good tip that I'm sure a lot of people haven't heard about before. Thanks for sharing this.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently saw this tip on a television show. I wasn't sure if it really would work. I happy that you were able to fix your phone and save a lot of money. Congrats and thanks for confirmation that rice really does work.

4. jane211

jane211Member

Threads:
    I am glad that you managed to fix your phone. I hadn't heard that tip before so I'll bear it in mind in case I might need it in the future.

I do think it is better to repair something if it is affordable and cost effective to do so. However, sometimes it does work out cheaper to buy something new.

A few years ago I developed a problem with my computer. I looked at getting it fixed and got several quotes, but found that it would be cheaper to buy a new one.

I think people should mend things where they can rather than buying something new.

5. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    Congrats on finding such a low cost solution for your phone! I think anyone would be devastated if their phone fell into a toilet. I think I read the rice tip online somewhere, but I didn't find it too believable. Who would have thought it'd actually work?

6. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I am glad that this worked for you! I remember when I dropped my phone in the snow, and I put it in a bag of rice and it worked great the next day. Yes, there was water damage on the phone, as the sticker was red and not white anymore, but i worked for years later.
    The bag of rice trick also worked when my bark collar got wet and damaged inside. I put it in a bag of rice and it worked great a week later. This device took a lot longer to dry out than the phone though.

7. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Trust google to come up with a solution for every problem.Glad the rice bag technique worked for you. It didn't for a friend of mine, who too got the tip from the internet. She had to replace her phone eventually.

8. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    You just have to remember not to use the phone or try to use it while it dries. Thats the mistake most people make. Depending how soaked it got, it may take a few days to dry out.

9. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    This really works and I think the explanation of this is that the rice being a dessicant which means that it induces dryness. THe rice will absorb moisture on the interior slits and corners of your phone thus drying it faster. Of coarse this does not always work especially if you took longer time getting your phone in the water.

10. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, thanks. This would be worth a try even if it didn't work. Thanks for this tip. It seems like a good bit of knowledge to have even if we never have to use it ourselves.

11. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I had never heard of the rice trick before so that is really good to know. I knew you were not supposed to turn it on until it was completely dried up. We have used blow dryers due to being impatient. It is amazing how we can't live without these things anymore, not even for a day!

12. clay1224

clay1224Banned

Threads:
    What I did when I dropped my iPhone in the toilet, was put it in a bag of white rice. The rice sucks up the moisture and removes water from the phone.

13. Jennifernew

JennifernewNew Member

Threads:
    This is completely new for me. I have never listened about it neither from any TV show nor from any friends or relatives. It is a risk taking solution but I am glad to know about it.

14. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Hey I'm glad you've got your phone fixed! I think most phones if taken out of the water immediately and then are allowed to completely dry will probably work again. Like what some others have mentioned, never turn on your phone if you're not certain that it is completely dry, especially on the inside. This could cause a short circuit and then your phone would really be spoilt! Placing it in the rice is to draw moisture out of the phone and its internal components and once dry, they should start working once again! Try to avoid a hairdryer because the concentrated heat might melt plastic and thin metal components of the phone damaging them. The best is to air dry the phone!

15. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    Wow. Never thought rice can fix a damage phone. If I didn't know this I'd probably panic so much after dropping my phone. Oh but I'll still panic anyway. Haha. :))

16. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the unusual tip. I water damaged a mobile phone a while ago and had to have the battery replaced, but the unit was saved. It's good to know these simple techniques if it ever happens again. I'll know what to do!:)

17. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I'd just get a new phone. I don't trust using any electrical device that has fallen into a large amount of water. If it was in its case? Then maybe, but if it fell in naked then no...I'd get a new phone. Wouldn't risk it exploding near my ear drums while in use.

18. Joyce aka Nana

Joyce aka NanaNew Member

Threads:
    Yep...my son dropped his iPod in the toilet and we put it in rice for like a week or something like that. It fixed it and we were so happy! It was only two days old. I about had an anxiety attack! LOL Teenager with electronics -- get insurance! We don't buy him anything now without the insurance, although I think they say water damage will not be replaced, but I feel safer with the insurance! :p

19. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    We had a phone that was dropped into water and we did the same thing, put into a bag of rice and now it works fine, when I was first told to do that , I was like, yeah right, but we tried and it indeed does work!! Gotta love those Home remedies!!

20. alreenaw

alreenawMember

Threads:
    I have also heard that soaking your phone in rice works if you drop your phone in water. I have never had to try it but I have a friend that said it worked for them. It is definitely a money-saver.