What To Buy As A Mould Killer ?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by mbuzma • Dec 16, 2017.

1. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately I have mould growing in my home, during winter, in certain places. I'm looking to get rid of it and many people recommended me baking soda and vinegar as cheap and non-toxic means for mould killing, neither seem to be doing much of anything. There are effective alternatives like bleach and ammonia, but these are highly toxic so I would like to stay away from these if possible.
    Is there anything that would do the job that isn't a health hazard at the same time ( and preferably doesn't cost a fortune either ) ?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also find mold in our home during the rainy season when humidity is always high. What we do is to wipe it clean with a rag. But when the mold is stubborn, we use apple cider to wipe it off and sometimes ordinary vinegar. The acid in the vinegar kills the mold since it is a plant. But when the mold is in the room, we use the electric fan to ventilate the room after wiping off the mold.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Someone gave me a great tip for getting rid of mould as I get it quite badly on one side of my house. She said, make sure you wipe the mould off and then rub bleach over it. I was a little sceptical but I did it and to this day it has not come back. It didn't take the paint off the wall either which I thought it might.

4. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Bleach does work but, as I said in the OP, it is highly toxic. Not sure if you did this, but I believe you're supposed to leave the room after you use the bleach and let it ventilate for some time, so as not to inhale the toxic gasses it creates ( chlorine ? ).
    Anyway, vinegar and baking soda are not doing anything for me. I might have to resort to using bleach too, but first I need to figure out what makes the mold appear in the first place ( condensation, probably ).

5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I used Flash spray bleach and didn't notice much in the way of fumes. After a few hours they seemed to disappear and no one was affected by it.

It's definitely condensation in my house. My double glazing isn't working as well as it should and I get moisture along the bottom of the window pane on a cold day. I just get a tissue and wipe the worst of it off.