What Is The First Thing You Cut Back On When You Need To Save Money?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by littlewitch66 • May 30, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    For me it is groceries. If I think my bill is becoming too high I will make a list and try to stick to it. I don't always manage it but it definitely helps. If I don't I will walk round the store chucking anything I like the look of in the trolley.

Which area do you cut back on first?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I will also have to say groceries. When I buy groceries I sometimes like to buy treats I don't usually buy when I am low on money so I just cut back on those. To cut back I usually just buy the fruits amd vegetables I will need to make simple dishes that won't require too much spending. I only buy the necesities and avoid any snacks until my next visit. Snacks can be costly and usually save big when I leave them behind.

3. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Even though i don't get in this situation as much, i always make sure to cut back on groceries and only buy what is needed, as well as use public transportation instead of my vehicle.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It would definitely be gasoline because there is no need to travel big distances, apart from emergencies or other big events, when you're low on cash. In fact, when my money is tight, I do well just to spend 2 USD a day for gasoline. However, that's enough to get things done. Note, I live in a small town, so I have to spend at least 2 USD a day to go to the gym etc..

5. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to say groceries and given the chance clothing. I have more than enough clothes and for groceries, a good percentage of it is treats and TV dinners. I would try to cut back on both, there is also pizza. I tend to order a lot over time which has ended up with me spending more than I should.

6. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Cutting down the entertainment cost would be the first on the list. And, cutting on food or food based ingredients would be the last. Health is the last thing I'll compromise with, and food is directly related to that.
    After handling the budget at home for years, I have noticed that the cost of fooding in a household is lesser than many other if the food is prepared at home. And, the entertainment costs like eating out, watching movies, day outing etc. take away a substantial amount. So, God forbid, if I ever need to cut on something to save money, it would definitely strike the entertainment budget.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've already don't go to movies, or eat out except at fast food restaurants when they've got a good deal like McPick 2/$3. Like most I cut back on groceries too, don't buy meat any longer for they've got to expensive. I try to get the cheapest veggies I can find, luckily there's a Chinatown with lots of vegetable markets with very good prices and fresh produce always. We have weekly sales from our supermarkets that helps to stretch our budget too, luckily!

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I stop taking a taxi drop and use the long buses which are far cheaper. The only worry, I'll have to wait a little longer time to catch up with one since they are not as many and scattered everywhere like the taxis. Another thing I do is to take cooked food and fruits to work for lunch, with this I can save up to $150 a month on food.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    In general, I always cut the superfluous expenses (which I don't usually have). Avoid buying snacks is also a great idea, at least for me because I usually buy them a lot. :p This always helps me save some money. :D

10. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    The main thing that I cut down on is entertainment. I will find free things to do with my children around town. I will also cut back on going out to eat and cook more at home. Pinching pennies has become a way of life for me ever since I lost my job so I have been trying to be creative in saving money but still feeling like I have more than I do.

11. Violent Gale

Violent GaleNew Member

Threads:
    I'd prefer to cut down the non essential ones such as lotions and perfumes. Since those are the ones which I don't consume a lot. I mean, I always stay at home. Sometimes if it is really needed to cut down, I'd say some on groceries since I don't eat much and I'm the only one living in my apartment. :)

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'm already frugal in most areas and I've basically trimmed the fats off my budget. I'll be a miser if I try to make more cuts on my budget. :( There are just some things I won't compromise on like the quality of life that I want my son to enjoy. If I need money for a specific purpose, I'd cut down on leisure and relaxation time and start working on my laptop.

13. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    In my case, I usually ensure that I do not engage in luxurious lifestyles. I only purchase what I need. For instance, I will not buy fancy things for a meal. I usually tend to stick to my normal routine. It helps me save a lot.

14. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut back on things like tissues (double up with toilet roll) biscuits, shampoo (cheaper brands) and buy more frozen or canned foods. I don't think it's a bad thing to learn to do as it does give you survival skills so you know you can live on less than you think.

15. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    I cut on everything that represents the luxury. I don't smoke and drink, so that doesn't pose any threat. Usually the people can't cut on that when they lack money but they cut on everything else.
    I saw cases which even cut on their own children and food.
    I just avoid some basic things that are more expensive, sodas, pastry from the bakery, everything that can be bought under much less...

16. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    If I want to save some money, I would make my grocery list a bit shorter. I remove meat, sweets, junk foods, bread and processed food. Then I would go for the items that are on sale. I'd grab more of eggs, fruits, and vegetables. Put a target price on my list so that I won't overspend. I also make pack lunch and use public transport to save on gas. I also try to avoid going out or drinking out. Once the task is done. All hell breaks loose again.

17. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    If ever I want to save up on some budget, then I would lessen my internet consumption then I would buy less grocery items that would eat so much space on the fridge and therefore save electric bills too. I would cut back on going to malls or watching movies.

18. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    For me it is groceries. Normally, I do make budgets for my groceries, but whenever am in the market, I end up buying things way above my budget.

19. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I want to save cost, I always try as much as I can to cut expenses on calls and also on going out on weekends to have drinks with friends. I have noticed that I spend so much money in getting call credits which I end up using on personal issues and not on businesses that will bring money into my pocket. Also, having drinks with friends during weekends is good, but cutting that fun side of one's life to stay ahead and not going broke is a great idea anyone having some trouble with finance should consider taking.

20. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Personally from my perspective, saving is not an easy task. It involves the willingness to resist spending even when the situation or circumstances to spend is stearing you across the face. I have already mapped out the strategy to encourage my saving and it's making sure 10 percent of monthly salary is cut off by my account officer and placed directly into my inaccessible slush fund account.

Now, with the cash I have at my disposal I still try as much as possible that I could not to be extravagant in my spending of it since I am already aware that there is no other means of acquiring another fund should I rashly use up my money.

I cut down my unnecessary outing and hanging out with friends because it is the most convenient way that allows me to spend a great deal of money especially on weekends. Also I reduce my constant habit of downloading movies or watching them online on YouTube or Netflix. Data subscriptions cost me a lot than I could even count, so I really try everything in my power to manage my monthly subscription of one thousand Naira (#1000).