what is the best scratching post

Discussion in Pets started by Melissast • Oct 23, 2014.

1. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I was looking at cat condos and scratching post for my cat. He really needs one, but the ones that I see in the stores around here are kind of expensive. I am trying to think of a better alternative, or a place that might sell them in at least the twenty dollar range.

2. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    If you live in a wooded area or know someone that does, you can get a piece of pine wood. Get a log just high enough for a cat and leave it in your home somewhere. If you want it to look a little more refined for your home, but want a cheap option. Get the log (debark it), put it on a flat square board (Maybe you could find it at lowe's or home depot) nail the bottom of the board with the standing log on bottom. Do a few nails to make sure it won't go anywhere. Apply some glue to the outside of the bare log and wrap a rope around it. This will be a lot cheaper than buying one. If you don't want to make it, I'm sure you can find one somewhere a little cheaper.

Good luck! :)

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a suggestion but would like a tip for this too. They do sell cheap corrugated cardboard type scratch posts but they make a mess. I think it's worth it to pay a little more to get a carpet one.

The board idea is a good one. My cat likes to smell wood and has tried to scratch the wood on my furniture before. If you got a big plank you cat would probably use it. I'm going to look into that as well.