What Is the Attitude that People Have toward Retirement

Discussion in Retirement Plans started by Daddy • May 7, 2012.

1. Daddy

DaddyNew Member

Threads:
    When you talk to people about retirement, many of them have different standings towards this topic. Some will say that they look toward this moment as a rewarding time of their life where they get at last the rest they need for a lifetime of work while attending a job regularly. Others will see this moment as one to be too dull and too poor in satisfactions that they can get from their job performance only.

With several opinions shared on this topic, I still have to mention that it makes no sense for anyone in this life to work themselves until they age and die. But at the same time it is also very important to mention that you should define precisely your expectations, this being a good way to determine what will happen in the future with your life.

When it comes to the attitude one has toward retirement, many people will be influenced in their manifestation by the way their parents have taken the retirement on themselves. If this time of their life has come as a happy period for them, then you will have good standings related to this topic.

One other aspect that can influence your retirement thinking is the way you find your friends dealing with this aspect. Maybe you have talked about this subject on several occasions and you seen their attitude they have towards this moment of their life. Do you feel like you totally agree with them or is there anything that you can argue on when discussing this topic with them?

It is very important to know exactly how you feel when you must confront with this time of your life that sooner or later should be taken into account. Do not forget that many individuals start saving money into their retirement fund with early days, so it makes no point to avoid discussing of it, regardless of your position. Keep in mind that anything can happen in this life, and you might see yourself forced to retire, although you are reluctant to this concept to occur early in somebody's life.

You should start having a more positive attitude toward this aspect of your life, and see retirement as the opportunity to achieve goals that you have never achieved while having a daily job to attend to coupled with the tasks by the household requirements. Ask yourself this: "Am I so empty on the inside that I need a job to fulfill me?". You could always think of several other ways that can be related to your current job and bring the same satisfactions even when you will lead a retirement life.

First of all, thank God of having a healthy life that enables you to fulfill your dreams that you want to carry out while being a retiree. Secondly, consider that life is beautiful regardless of the time you live it. Enjoy every day that is given to you with the thought that it might be the last; in this way, your attitude towards retirement will definitely turn out to be more positive.

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    People who think their retirement will be dull and unenjoyable are people who did not save enough to make their retirement comfortable. If you have money, you can always find something to do, like travel the world, take up a class or new hobby, volunteer in your community, etc. Even if you are so married to your job that you can't let it go, you could take up consulting in your field without having to worry about working hard enough to turn a high profit if you already have money available.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people view themselves as their job not as a person so for that person if they have not started are outside interest retirement will be dull whether they have money or not. They will not know how to fill up their days with interesting things to do. On the other hand a person that has lots of interest in life such as traveling will embrace retirement as the time to start doing what they want without the need to respond to someone else's time frames.

4. ilike2save

ilike2saveNew Member

Threads:
    I don't even have a real job, but I can't wait for retirement. I am hoping to do all of the traveling that we haven't done because our kids are in school, have sports, or are just too busy for. My husband will retire from the military in 6 years - at age 39 - but I think at that point we will both try to get jobs as teachers so we can have a good schedule for our kids. Once our kids are older then we will start traveling.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds like an awesome plan.

I might be too young to really think about retirement now, as I'm only in my twenties, and it's not very likely that I'll retire in the next ten or even twenty years, and furthermore, since my job is one that I absolutely love (I'm a stage performer... you don't do that unless you love it, haha!) I almost can't imagine not doing it... but I can imagine getting to the point where I don't have to do it if I don't want to, and I'm hoping that day will come sooner rather than later.

6. Sandy

SandyNew Member

Threads:
    I'v never looked at retirement that way before. I'm in my mid thirties and worrying about my retirement plan. Of course I'd want to have a good life after 6 decades of living but I still can't see past setting up a retirement plan for myself.:(

7. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    I plan on traveling too once I retire. But I think it would be too early for me to look at that. But I am already looking at plans at an early age of 18. I don't want to get stuck doing nothing in a retirement home. I prefer taking a trip around the world enjoying the little things Earth has to offer.

8. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't think that I will view retirement any differently then the way I live my life now. Seriously, why wait until retirement to do things you want to do? I mean yes it is easier to travel across country if you are not working, but there are many things you can do now. Take the time to do things with family before kids grow up or take the time to do things you want to do instead of waiting.

Some people don't want to retire because they are afraid their body will shut down shortly after (I have a relative who is worried about this) and some people think they will be bored. Yeah there is a lot of different opinions in this topic.

I am a work at home blogger/writer and honestly I don't think I will quit doing this at retirement age. Well, that is unless I run out of things to say :) Live life for the present because you don't know what the future brings and you don't want any regrets for not doing something sooner.

9. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    While I'm not at that age yet, I look at my parents and I can see it in their faces. Sometimes it's so easy to see how they wish they hadn't retired. Half the time they're bored. They try to do some things to keep themselves young at heart. But I think retirement is having a negative effect on them.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I could retire now. I don't have time to read, play those long video games like Skyrim, spend leisurely days at the beach with my daughter, etc. I have to work every day, and working from home means no day off because I have to have income coming in daily.

I've been saving money, so eventually I can retire and enjoy my artistic pursuits and leisure activities.
    I think the ideal life, is to have enough money to not worry about paying bills, but not so much money that you're worrying about your money and feeling burdened by it.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm one of the those people who doesn't want to retire completely. I don't want to be punching the clock for anyone else though. I suppose I'm a type A personality. Traveling is nice, but I would get bored after a while. I want to be creating and building something. I plan on 50% of the year doing fun stuff and the rest doing some type of work that I love and enjoy. To me that is the sweetest form of retirement.

12. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I am not working full time, but I do look forward to retirement. My husband and I have created huge paintings together, worked on many crafts when we have had time, but now his job is really stressful and demanding we have little time to do these things together anymore, though we try smaller projects. I would like to travel around the world, now we really cannot as the kids are still studying in school/college. It would be fun to do all the things we have wanted to do all over again.

13. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    My husband took early retirement at 52. He's now 78, so he's spent one third of his life retired. He says he doesn't know how he ever had time to work, as his days are so full. I haven't been able to work outside the home for 15 years due to health issues, but I have created a new career for myself as a freelance writer. I love what I do, so I can never imagine retiring from that, but I do have a lot of interests, and so does my husband. That's what makes for a happy and successful retirement. We could use more money, but it doesn't stop us from doing the things we really want to do.

14. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly with all the economic uncertainty globally my views on retirement have begun to change. I thought when I was younger that it would be a time for me and my husband to pursue other hobbies or interests since we’d have more time with the kids grown. Now it seems a bit bleak in that we know we need to keep working at least part-time and not by choice. We are trying to come up with a plan where we can earn money with the least amount of effort like renting out apartments but we are still fine tuning everything right now.

15. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    It's hard to guesstimate how much money is needed to really retire. I'm a worry wart so I want to have several nets to catch me if, indeed, things go awry. So, I feel like when I get to that age of retirement where retirement looks to be a possibility I would not accept it because I would be concerned about the issues that may occur.

16. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I think people are afraid that they are going to be lonely after retiring. Just imagine you have worked at a company for almost 30 years and they now want to let you go. It is so sad to feel that you will not be seeing the other employees that you are quite used to.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people hate retirement because they love their work. Others hate the idea of retiring because they haven't saved enough or invested their money in the wrong places, lost it and for that reason, are worried about not having money once they lose their jobs.

IMO, retirement has both up and downsides. Whether you enjoy it or not will depend on having a positive or negative attitude. I know a banker who retired to be a fisherman and he enjoys his life now more than he did when he was working in an office.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I can't really answer that question until that time in my life arrives. I can't see myself every retiring from anything. If I am physically not able to do certain things anymore, I will simply find new ways to stay busy. My work is of such a nature that makes it possible for me to continue with it until the day I die. And I know I will do just that.
    I often see retirees in their old people villages, shuffling around, wondering what to do with themselves, while others seem to be perfectly happy to have arrived at a stage where they can sit back and do whatever makes them feel good. I think the media, and of course the corporations, have a lot to do with compartmentalising humans, fitting them neatly into age categories and making a lot of money with it. Think about it.