What Inspires You To Travel?

Discussion in Travel started by Ray1 • Sep 10, 2017.

1. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I get inspired to travel when I hear wonderful stories of some beautiful or strange places. I like travel channels on Youtube. It allows you to explore exotic locations without breaking a bank. So my travel to other places will be to see a different place other than where I am based or where I grew up. Travelling exposes you to new things and expands your view of what life should be.

2. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I must admit I am a home bird and although I had planned to travel when I retired, circumstances prevented me and now I'm not really bothered. I like to holiday in my own country even though the climate is a bit wet. I visited different countries when I was younger so I don't feel that I have missed out. Maybe I will travel a bit when my granddaughter is grown and I have more time. I must admit hearing about my friends' holidays and looking at beautiful pictures does make me momentarily wish I was in a warmer climate.

3. vinsenspy

vinsenspyNew Member

Threads:
    Hello there Ray1. I have been able to travel locally and abroad and what inspired me traveling was my will to explore new things and places that everyone doesn’t have a chance to. I wanted to learn and grow more about the culture and traditions of other places or countries I've been to. I wanted new experiences in my life. I wanted to get out of my comfort zone, knowing that there’s so much more out there to enhance my knowledge and personality, why not travel and explore other countries to improve my character as a human? Right?

If I have to choose whether to travel with at least extra budget or with the limited budget, I’d prefer to travel with an extra budget of course. This is to avoid too much of a hassle in the future. Having extra budget doesn’t mean it has to be spent lavishly but It has to be spent wisely and purposely on certain needs. Personally, when I travel I carefully study and think about what I should buy or where to spend money for. We need to be financially wise to save while traveling. It is better to have extra money or else you get in trouble with a limited budget.

4. Rowzers

RowzersNew Member

Threads:
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Culture is my most favorite reason to travel. I was born in one country and raised in another. Both countries had entirely different cultures and this has opened my eyes since a very young age.

I promise myself to visit a place I have never been before at least once a year. Most of the times with family but I enjoy travelling with just my husband. We would swear off tour guides and travel packages together just so we could drive and wander off aimlessly.

History, myths and legends are also another reason I travel. That overwhelming feeling of being somewhere a historic event happened, seeing what the heroes and legends I read about see through my very own eyes.

I remember the time I touched the pyramid and I felt like my breath was taken away, or standing right under the Arc De Triomph, or even crying when I saw the Masjidil Haram in Mecca. These feelings are like a combination of falling in love, losing a person you love and falling from the sky with nary but a chute in a bag on your back feels, all at the same time.

I have been to 7 different countries this year alone and 6 others last year. I can't wait for the next time I rush my bags through the departure gates at an airport. :)

5. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you, my friend. While traveling if we have the right companion then that travel will be worthy of our time spent also making it memorable. I don't like to rest and be lazy during the day because we have come to explore then why be in a hotel and take rest and waste the experience. There is no use in traveling like that. I too had some bad experiences like this in the past.

6. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    Just getting away from the old mundane that I have grown so accustomed to is enough to motivate me to travel. I am also in a new relationship and travel really seems to be in both of our agendas. It would be a great opportunity to explore, and grow in our relationship.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Shana Peckover@Shana Peckover I love travel and people that love traveling without caring about "Facilities" as a traveler. I prefer Nature in its true colors so facilities are only secondary but what attracts me is the beauty of the place without any show-off business. I would not mind going to places with a backpack and stay in camps or facilities with bed and breakfast like places. My emphasis basically is on travel everything else comes after that.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love to travel, because I like to see new things. Unfortunately, nowadays it costs money to travel, and it is not always readily available for me. I just like to see some of the things that are in the world. I travel as much as I can really.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think have the pleasure of trying new types of cuisines, meeting new places / people and getting to know myself a little more as a human being.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You mean you travel to places to taste the local foods LOL. Why don't you try that food in your own city and save money that you spend going to places. I agree to the point that you do not get the same taste and environment what you experience in a particular place where that food originates. But I agree with you that some people would travel to any destination for the sake of tasting uniqueness of local foods.

11. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Hahaha! :) I already thought that way you said it, but it just doesn't work for me because I have a traveling soul. So, I need to travel to new places! :D

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    When I was still single, I traveled because I wanted to have a feel of the way of life and accommodations in other places. My friends and office mates would travel to neighboring countries to shop and enjoy the sights. The trips were annual goals that we saved up for. Back then, there were no social media sites and we kept most pictures as personal collections that only our families can see. The trips were often tiring and not always fun. Quite frankly, there were local places that I would have rather visited than some places abroad. Nowadays, my son and/or my nephews have become my travel buddies and it's always fun to see things from their perspective. They're quite excited about a lot of stuff that I would have otherwise disregarded as an adult. The shared memories and experiences with my family make these trips worthwhile.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille you reminded me of a girl I met while traveling from India to Nepal by bus (yes, there is no visa applicable for Indians for traveling to few neighboring countries by road and then even by air but now we need a visa while traveling by air). When the bus stopped at midway for lunch I asked my fellow traveler about her job and what she told me almost shocked me. She said she saved enough working six months in her country England which was enough to spend 6 months in countries like India, Sri Lanka and Nepal etc. She was only 20 or so and was too fond of traveling.

14. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    Sometimes, It's the Stories I come across.
    It’s always the stories that inspire travel. The stories come from many different people: family, friends, authors, teachers and mentors.
    But, no matter who you hear them from, the most powerful stories are those that come from people you can relate to. Those that help you believe you can do it too.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @DavidLee@DavidLee I so agree with you on this one that I could not help but quote your post. Besides being different from regular ones your's had a touch of philosophy and who can deny that stories are main inspiration behind traveling to places. I am sure if there were no inspiring stories nobody would want to go to paces. Stories for sure make you interested and curious to explore the distant places. :)

16. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    The more that I age the more that literature has really inspired me to travel. I am not really sure why but all of these old authors that I knew a while back all the sudden have the ability to make me want to go see the world, which is great of course.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @larryl332@larryl332 I think a time comes when one feels financially secured and lesser worried about his basic necessities then his attention diverts to other things which he always wanted to do. Maybe those writers earned enough money through their writing and planned going to places. Having said that some people are born travel lover and some become interested hearing from friends and seeing amazing places in TV and magazines.

18. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I have traveled quite a bit but I am looking for a bit of a different kind of travel at my age, like a pilgrimage of some kind- to something and somewhere with a deeper meaning-like some kind of modern day pilgrimage to a holy site or buddhist monastery would be quite zen and uplifting for me. I think this kind of travel may give me more what I am looking for at at my age,and I think it would be interesting to find some nice cathedrals and architecture to visit, also I feel this would bring more meaning into my life. I guess this kind of travel is called spiritual tourism and gives you something you can remember the rest of your life.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @FolkArtis I suggest you visit India especially the Uttrakhand in Northern part of India. The state in the lap of Himalaya is full of holy places and you will be surprised to note that most places offer you free lodging and boarding with good quality meals if you do not mind eating Indian style food which is totally vegetarian. You can visit neighboring Himalayan state Himanchal Pradesh for Buddha Monasteries and especially the seat of Dalai Lama in Dharmshala district. The state is one of the most beautiful partly covered under snow round the year.

20. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I am single. I don't have a family. And also loneliness is something that makes me get off my bed. And so I go on travel whenever possible. I have learned that travel completes our fear. And we don't remain afraid for long. I guess for many of us it can be interesting to see how that works out. I guess we have to face fear by travelling solo.