What do you ALWAYS recommend to people going overseas?

Discussion in Travel started by emilyrose93 • Mar 7, 2014.

1. emilyrose93

emilyrose93Member

Threads:
    Is there a specific restaurant, statue, or experience you always recommend to people when they go to a certain country?

For me it is Kagaya. Kagaya is a crazy bar and restaurant in Tokyo. It is run by a man named Mark and his mother does the cooking! The food is not very good, but the entertainment more than makes up for it. There is a set menu that you have to order by reading from a script like you're an actor at an audition! The menus all depend on how hungry you are. The one I had to read was something like "I have been working all day, and now I am SO HUNGRY. Please Master, bring me some delicious food and feed me!". And if you don't do it enthusiastically enough, he will refuse and you have to try again!

Through-out the night Mark will dance, sing, wear costumes, do puppet shows, control robots and make jokes. It is just the most hilarious experience. I cannot recommend it enough to anyone who tells me they're going to Tokyo! Unfortunately, no one ever trusts me about how incredible it is and no one I know has gone yet! I hope if someone reading this goes to Tokyo they will go there, because it is so funny and our favourite thing that we did in Tokyo!

2. erikao1o

erikao1oMember

Threads:
    I always recommend that people take a gondola ride when they visit Venice. It's something that I believe that everyone should do once, even if it's a bit pricy. I remember being told by guidebooks and other sources that a gondola ride wasn't worth the time or the money, so I almost opted out going on one. I was very happy that I chose to take a gondola ride. It shows you a different part of the city, and you get an entirely new perspective.

3. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I always recommend you should visit Fraser Island where you visit Australia. It's located in Queensland and it's beautiful and full of nature and wildlife. There's a lot of different activities you can do while there from swimming to snorkeling to scuba diving to boating and hiking, etc etc.

I've never actually been there myself but I've always wanted to visit it.

4. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I really do not like recommending any place to a tourist because I do not want them to lose the excitement. When you give too many stories of what to expect and what to see, the happiness in discovering something is simply gone. Therefore, I usually only give recommendations when someone really asks me and I try to limit it to 1 or 2 and the rest is for them to explore.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recommend to them to just have fun and not worry about anything at all, because everything will just fall into place the way it has to. To people who are travelling to Greece, I recommend to go island hoping and fully absorb the Mediterranean splendour. I always tell them to go to Crete and go to Chania and Kastelli, the lesser built-up places where travellers go and not tourists. I send them to a special little restaurant on the way further down the coast that is run by my friends Maria and Manolis. :)

6. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    Whenever anyone I know visits Germany I always recommend a visit to the Koelner Dom or Cologne Cathedral as it is called in English. It is a missive and beautiful cathedral in the fascinating city of Cologne. It has so much history, having been built hundreds of years ago. It is an impressive and awe inspiring monument, especially if you are Christian. The architecture takes your breath away and I always marvel at how many different people over the centuries have stepped where I am stepping. Cologne also has many other sights for any tourist to see.