What age do you plan to stop driving?

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by MrsJones • Oct 30, 2014.

1. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would stop driving at a specific age but more likely to stop driving depending on my circumstance. Like someone earlier who mentioned that they'd stop driving when it becomes unsafe. Because when you've been driving you whole life, it just becomes second nature that I think even when you older you can do it. It's one of those things that just sticks with you overtime. The only reason I would stop driving is if my conditions (whatever they may be) deem it to be unsafe to drive. Other then that, I'll drive for as long as I can because having access to transportation is just priceless.

2. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    As long as I am able to drive and do so safely then I will continue to drive. There are people who are elderly and are still great drivers and there are others who shouldn't even be on the road. Of course, that goes for people of all ages. There are some people who are a danger to others when they are behind the wheel. Every individual is different. I am hoping I will be able to drive for a long, long time. I love the independence of being able to jump in my car and go wherever I want, whenever I want without having to depend ofn somebody else.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I will stop when my family tells me that they notice I am not being safe anymore. I am sure my family would tell me that now! lol :eek: I hope that my mom doesn't get too stubborn when I try to tell her to slow down on the road. She loves to hit 80 on a daily basis.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once thought like O.S. and now I know different at age 61. Then suddenly at age 50, you begin to realize the prices aren't nice to your budget. I sold my car at age 45, and at age 50 I began to wonder about my driving. I have been riding the bus for 16 years now. I wish often times I wish I had a car, but can't afford it, so I resign myself to riding the bus. Then came the disaster times for Hawaii and wondered how were we going to get to shelters if need to? The bus takes care of that...all we have to do is go to a main highway where the bus passes flag down any bus and go on to the shelters that the bus will take us to, so that wasn't a problem for we live not to far from the main highway. Then came the time at age 60, would I keep my license any longer. I've been without a car now for some time and it's okay without a car. But you see my family helps out with my Mom who is house bound now, so it's not so bad. This is how it went for me about driving and my license that I held on to from 45 to 60. I'm 62 now going for my social security benefits this year, hooray! Good luck to you when you decide for yourself what to do about cars, driver's license and public transportation. It's up to you what you decide to do about it all. Good luck, but once you decide it's final no turning back.

5. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There is a difference between biological and chronological age. Thus adducing a certain numerical age to stop driving would not suffice since people age differently. As long as one is physically able and his reflexes, judgement and sight are ok, one can drive. I know of a ninety something man who drives himself around the city. The adage that states that you are as old as you feel doesn't ring hollow after all.

6. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well to be honest I have not really given much thought to it, but it is kind of interesting to think about. I think that with all of the services that around these days it is probably going to be a lot earlier than I used to think. Services like Uber are really helpful around here, so that might play a factor in my decision. I would like it to be at a good time, but I guess we will have to wait and see. Thanks for sharing.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am almost 72 now, and still do not have any problems with driving. However, where I once would have happily driven clear across the United States if necessary, or I was going somewhere, now I do not think that I would try driving that far , at least not unless there was some reason that I had to do it.
    Usually my husband goes with me when we do go somewhere, so if I were missing something that I should be looking at, usually Bobby would see it and tell me to be careful.
    As long as my health is good, and I can get in and out of a car with no problems, then I am not apt to stop driving anytime soon.
    My folks were in their 80's when they died, and both of them were still driving at that age.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't want to think about old age. My husband's father was still driving good at the age of 80 and I guess my husband would be like him. And for me, as long as I can drive well, that would save me a lot instead of hiring a driver. But I understand that the decision to drive is not mine because the LTO (counterpart of DMV) conducts a test for aged drivers and they would refuse granting a license if the person is not capable of good driving anymore.

9. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't care if I was a billionaire, if I can drive, I want to drive myself. I will be driving myself even if I bought a $500,000 dollar Rolls Royce Extended Wheel Base Model. I just don't like being driven around, even if I get injured I still will try to drive.

I have seen many old people driving, and always figured that they are probably going to cause an accident. You might be surprised by this, but all of the accidents that I have seen, or heard about never had an old person behind the wheel.

Old people drive safe, unless they are stunt drivers or something like that. Plus driving is something that is part of our every day life, it's an experience, and I don't think I will give it up because of age.

10. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    I actually don't have a set age when I will stop driving. I think when the time has come that I am not able to drive, due to my physical issues, or mental issues such as dementia, or things like that, and I no longer feel safe on the road, I will stop driving. Not only for my safety, but everyone elses too.