Vinegar for Cleaning

Discussion in Home & Garden started by soultakerkage • Oct 24, 2014.

1. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    I hear a lot of recommendations online about using Vinegar for cleaning. Anyone actually try this. If so, how do you use it? I very interesting in hear different way people have used vinegar.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can use vinegar to clean a lot of things. I have used it to clean the grill, hot water, baking soda and vinegar will clean the grill quickly after you have let it cool off, I also use vinegar in the laundry to help remove odors that the soap does not remove like a mildew smell. And vinegar is good for killing germs on counter tops, in the bathroom and dish washing.

3. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Vinegar alone is a great cleaning agent. Some people even add a tad bit of water plus juice of a lemon to get a not as strong vinegar smell. I use vinegar water on anything and everything! A very effective and kid safe cleaning solution. I even use vinegar in my homemade fabric softener recipe.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Vinegar is really effective to be used for cleaning inside and out. I mean by inside and out is on your external physical body and internal. It's acid is really good in killing bacteria that linger on your skin and in your innards especially apple cider vinegar. I would recommend the Bragg's. I am not sure of something else better than Bragg's. If you have, name it.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a cleaning strength vinegar that you can buy at most stores these days, it's a much stronger dilution and not meant to be eaten in any way. It works surprisingly well, and is relatively inexpensive. I don't mind the smell at all personally because it dissipates pretty quickly, not to mention it's a natural smell, rather than some caustic chemical smell. The only thing I would suggest when using it though is to wear rubber gloves or limit exposure to your hands and skin as it can dry them out and irritate them, especially if you've got any cuts on your hands.

The regular edible vinegar, I don't really use all that much to clean any more because it's just not strong enough and I often end up wasting a whole bottle of it, when I could have just got the cleaning strength stuff instead for a little more.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I dilute vinegar to 50% for all purpose cleaner. For the kitchen add one drop of dish soap to aid in cleaning off grease from food and greasy hands. Vinegar is a great cleaner, although it has a strong smell while you are using it, the smell is not going to harm you and simply letting the air flow a bit will blow it away in very little time.

Vinegar is particularly good at removing stains and spills of anything with acid in it such as coffee, tea, orange juice or other berries. It works very, very well at removing coffee from clothing. I use it full strength to do that just to make sure I get it all out the first time.

7. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    I no longer use commercial floor cleaners on our vinyl floors because the soap and our heavily mineralized water (hard water) leave a soap scum that builds up over time and dulls the floor as well as making it feel a bit sticky. Now I use straight white vinegar on a micro-fibre mop cloth, just soak the cloth, squeeze out the excess, and attach to the mop. lt cleans and kills germs at the same time leaving our floors looking great! Yeah, it stinks like vinegar for a bit, until the floors are dry but it's only temporary. Afterward, I rinse out the mop cloth to rid it of the vinegar odor, then toss it in the washer to be washed on washday.

I also use vinegar on all chrome taps and stainless steel sinks to make them shine like new. It removes the waters pots very effectively. My wife throws a 1/2 cup into the dishwasher with every load along with the regular dishwasher detergent. It keeps our dishwasher free of scale buildup.

8. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I use vinegar to clean around the house sometimes, but my main use for it is in my laundry. I use a spray bottle that I got from the dollar store, fill it with vinegar (full-strength), and prior to washing my clothes, I spray vinegar liberally on clothes, blankets, linen, towels (on anything that is "vinegar safe").

I usually let them "sit" overnight, then put them in the washing machine using my regular detergent.
    My clothes come out smelling so clean and fresh, and when I add liquid fabric softener to the rinse cycle, the smell is so much better than if I wash clothes without the vinegar. The clothes have such a clean smell after going through the "vinegar wash" that by the time I add the fabric softener, the smell of the fabric softener "sings" and is much more vibrant smelling than without the vinegar added to the wash.

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. Vinegar can disinfect a lot of things as long as you soap the area afterwards to remove the smell. Another way is to mix vinegar with baking soda. This will be an effective cleanser especially on bathroom tiles. This is a tried and tested formula for me. :)

10. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I use vinegar for cleaning windows. You just add a few drops to some water and then clean the windows in the usual way. You can put the mix into an empty spray bottle if you lie so that you can spray the mix directly onto the glass. It works on any glass really, such as mirrors or shower doors. An alternative to vinegar is lemon and this smells nice too. They both work because the acid cuts through grease and it is the grease that often causes smears. Another tip when you clean windows this way is to used scrunched up newspaper instead of a cloth.The paper absorbs excess moisture instead of just spreading it around the way a cloth does. It is much cheaper than buying window cleaning products.

11. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    We use vinegar for cleaning the sink and the toilet. Add a lemon on the mixture and it will add a little scent. Let us remember that vinegar is an Acid and can do a lot more than being just a vinegar we use for our food.

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Vinegar is great for cleaning. I use a 50% vinegar water solution to remove spots from carpeting. I use it clean the bathroom title. It's also great for removing built up soap stains from clear shower curtains. I use pure vinegar to clean my iron. It's a great natural cleaning agent.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think vinegar is a great way to clean away any dirt or stains. I use it extensively for various purposes. I use it on a wet cloth and rub it against any stains. After rybbing a few times the stain goes away. It is quite an efficient household item and very easily available.

14. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I use vinegar to clean a lot of things. I use it to clean fruits and vegetables that I buy from the market or store. It's very effective at killing any viruses or bacteria. I also use it to mop my floors, as well as clean up the bathroom. Vinegar has a lot of great uses including cleaning the body. For example, it's a good skin toner and facial cleanser. So, it can clean your body and your house.

15. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Man, vinegar, specifically white vinegar, is like magic for any stain on clothes or general cleaning around the house. I once had a ketchup stain on one of my favorite shirts and had no idea how to get it off. After some research online I decided to try soaking it in white vinegar for about 20 minutes and then scrubbing the area with the stain. Much to my surprise when I took it out of the washing machine and checked for the stain it was no longer there, since then I always use it for any stain on my clothes, and it always does the trick.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Vinegar is a good substitute for baking soda and muriatic acid. My mother uses it to clean kitchen tile stains or polish the rust off toilets and silverwares. Vinegar has a strong smell so unless we've run out of baking soda or cleaning chemicals, we don't resort to using vinegar. For adding shine and luster to utensils, adding vinegar is highly recommended.

17. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been using white vinegar for cleaning my bathroom for many years now. I'st wonderful when it comes to getting rid of mold. A lot of the commercial cleaning products that claim to kill mold actually do nothing more but bleach the mold. I also often combine vinegar with baking soda to make a paste for cleaning my kitchen stove and fire stained pots. I can't praise these simple ingredients enough.

18. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I use vinegar by mixing it with water. I create the mixture and then fill in a bottle spray with it, and then do the regular cleaning. It works well on porcelain, ceramics and kitchen equipment. Spray some of the mixture on the kitchen equipment and then wipe the area with a cloth cleaner. It is a practical way of cleaning, but it does not work on wood. Furniture pieces that are made of wood would need a different kind of cleaning liquid. :)

19. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I actually use white vinegar to do a lot of things - it's great for killing ants and ruining their scent trail -- it's also non toxic if you have kids. It's great for helping whiten your toilet bowl and if you have a steam cleaner -mixing vinegar in with hot water and a little febreeze will really clean your carpets.

20. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    I do! I keep spray bottles that are half water and half vinegar around the house and just use it like I would a normal spray cleaner. I love it! It seriously can get rid of just about anything and the smell disappears once it's dry. Way cheaper and healthier than household chemicals!