Vacation And Overspending

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • May 18, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people save money for vacation. And as that money has a particular purpose they don't bother trying to save some of that money. They spend all that vacation money and it won't matter because it was vacation money.

You may have saved the money for vacation but that doesn't mean you don't try to find deals. At the very least the money you save could be used to buy "exotic" gifts for your friends and family.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have posted in one thread that I don't scrimp during vacations particularly in trips abroad. However, you are right, I'm also on the lookout for discounts. One time in Hongkong, in the district of Mongkok, there was this sale of buy 2 take 1 cologne so I bought 8 pieces and got 4 free. I used that for gifts for the holiday. In our latest trip abroad, I availed of the same discount in the Bangkok flea market - I got a bundle of shirts at 4 for the price of 3. Even my husband bought socks which was also 4 for the price of 3.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I am always looking for a good deal. Granted, each vacation should have some moment like a nice meal where you stop stressing so much about the bill. But that can really only be accomplished if you know you will not be returning to a huge amount of debt. We always try to make sure we have most of our trip paid for before we go so that we can enjoy it. I love buying gifts and so even this is usually factored into my budget. But if there is extra, which there rarely is, it is usually spent on buying duty free for ourselves. Which it eventually gets poured into the glasses of company that we have over.

4. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. That's also why there are services that offer discounts to people so they can get more for less. I would take advantage of the promos for lodging and dining as it would add more to my pocket money for souvenirs or things I would consider as my gifts to myself. It's better to be frugal and scrimp on a few things we can do without.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    When I. A budget for vacation I still try and save some of it because I know even if I don't finish all of it I'll end up having some left over which I can then use to buy some items I like. It's easy for me to think this way because I'm not the type that likes vacation destinations all that much and instead I prefer to just buy items as a reward for myself, so whenever I do vacation I have no trouble being frugal because if I go home with money left over I always feel good that I can then use that to buy myself something nice.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am usually very sane when it comes to vacation budgets. I am proud to say that I usually don't spend a lot. I am always on a budget, especially now that we are getting married, I need to save money for the wedding and the honeymoon. In fact, the honeymoon will probably be the vacation that I will spend the most of my life! But that's a special one so I guess there's no way around it.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I always try to save when I'm on vacation. I have had vacations when you say what the heck I'm on vacation so live a little. Then I come home to get a whopping Visa bill from all the overspending. Now I really watch for areas that we can save. For example, if we can stay a hotel that comes with a buffet breakfast we stay there, fill up on the breakfast and then we are good until supper time or at least we only need a snack to get through until supper. We also pack a cooler when we travel by car so in our room we have cold drinks and snacks that we have picked up at the grocery store and not have to buy from hotel vending machines. Doing these little things can save quite a bit when you are on holidays and then you have money for souvenirs etc.

8. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Most people who go for vacations usually have made the savings over a period of time and the mood spoils one's tendency for frugality. It gets trickier when you consider the fact that some of the priciest vacation destinations also have deals which would seem expensive in other settings. I suppose it all boils down to one's income and the will to save.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh gosh yes@Dennis Hard! My husband and I always save our holiday money separately and ensure that we have way more than we need. I remember one year when we still lived in England and would come visiting my family here in Botswana, we'd done such a good job of saving that we could afford to takes everyone out to eat a few times, were able to take back lots of presents for friends and family back in England, and still had a lot to spare. On top of that, we were also able to take a nice little safari break, granted it was heavily discounted (almost free) as my sister works for the safari company :) What we then did was save what we had left for our next trip. That was a good year :)

10. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I spend my most of money doing shopping and traveling too.