Utilities Vulnerability To Natrual Disasters

Discussion in Utilities started by explorerx7 • Sep 13, 2017.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It has happened once again. The passing of Hurricane Irma has resulted in the loss of communication, the loss of power, and water to millons of consumers. These have been the usual situations year in year out in the event of a storm. I am aware of the devastating force of nature but Mankind has always prided itself in finding solutions to most problems, therefore, by now there should have been a workable solution to greatly reduce these outages. As it would relate to earthquakes, I know it would be an almost impossible task because the earth movement may rip everything apart, but when comes to storm I believe there could be a somewhat workable solution.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I’m sorry to say that man is still under the mercy of nature when it releases its wrath. The previous weather disturbances causing damages to homes showed man’s weak point. With electricity, the only remedy for now is to rely on small generators but you need to have a stock of fuel to power it. Or you can try to solar chargers but I’m not betting on it because solar chargers are not efficient yet. So when nature strikes us with a disaster, the only thing we can do is to wait for the electric company to restore power.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    In some cases, allowing the power to go on at the height of a strong typhoon can be very dangerous so the electricity providers themselves don't wait for power to be interrupted by the force of nature but opts to turn it off. We will always be vulnerable to natural disasters and even the most advanced countries can fall victim to nature's wrath. You can't safely restore power and other facilities to flooded areas so people will have to endure the outages on those occasions. I'm all for developing more affordable solutions or alternative power that can be used by more people when a devastating storm hits.

#3Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  4. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Natural disasters will always have a huge impact on our communities and societies regardless of how much technology advances it will be a challenge.

5. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think almost every electronic appliance has the issue. And none of them are really free from the water resistance functionality. Lot of them are low cost. So not really invested them into the water resistant part. I think in future this may surely change. And people will learn about the natural issues over a period of time. It may not be easy but I think over a period of time we'd have better solutions in disaster time.