Using Bicycles

Discussion in Travel started by remnant • Sep 28, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Bicycles are a prevalent mode of transportation in rural areas. There are varieties designed to carry goods and others adapted for long distance travel like mountain bikes. In my country, they are rapidly giving way to motorbikes. Bicycles not only save on costs since they don't utilize fuel, but they also confer health benefits. Their mantenance is very low. Anyone still using a bicycle?

2. oportosanto

oportosantoNew Member

Threads:
    Bicycles are the best and I use mine whenever I can. I use mine mainly for recreation or transport, but there are more and more businesses using them, like street food for example. I am going to Amsterdam this upcoming November, so I am really looking forward to see the thousands and thousands of bikes they have there and the use they give them.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my area lots of people use their bicycles as an alternative form of travel to get around, get to work and have fun. I want to start to use mine more often now that it is not so hot.

4. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    Bikes are really popular where I live. You kind of have be careful not to run people over because they can ride their bikes in traffic the way motorcycles do. I live in a state where everything is kind of set far away from each other so I don't see it replacing cars anytime soon but it's a popular way of exercising.

5. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    They actually use fuel, the torque you deliver through your feet pushing the pedals is powered by the amount of calories you're burning meanwhile.

6. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Just a few months ago, I was using a bicycle on a daily basis. Actually, I had two bicycles. One was a folding bicycle which I had modified to have a 26-inch wheel at the front and a 20-inch wheel at the back. The other was a regular bicycle with 24-inch wheels. I had two because I didn't like to be caught out with a flat tire when I needed to go somewhere. Now I live in the middle of a big city. I would like to cycle again but the roads here are very bicycle-unfriendly.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of bikes and biking but I do realize that they are very beneficial because you not only get to save on gas but also get to exercise as well while doing it. Not only that but you also help out the environment by using something that won't have any toxic emissions. I just tend not to use it here because the roads and vehicles are quite dangerous in the sense that the streets are very small and the cars and drivers are sometimes very reckless, but if I were living somewhere where the system was much more safe I'd definitely be up for it.

8. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use bicycle, I even don't have a bicycle. However, I am aware about saving fossil fuel and my health. Thus I use motor bike instead of car. Mother bike uses less fuel. I can see battery powered cars and bikes in the stores, however, I have not checked them out.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We still have a large population that use bicycles for transportation especially the rural workforce that comes to city for manual work on daily basis. Apart from labor force, small traders also use cycle for carrying goods from wholesale market. More than 50% school students also use bicycle. As far I am concerned I use a bicycle for short distance shopping purpose which also helps me keep fit.

10. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I've been cycling when I go to school in grade-school because our house is just 1km away. I've missed cycling ever since I stopped doing it in college. Now that I'm working, I wanna buy a bicycle again and use it to commute when I go to the office.

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am planning to use cycle more in my forth coming visit to Australia because the place of work is about 3 km away from my residence and with kind of bicycles available there and neat and crowd free cycle-paths providing a wonderful cycling experience it should save lot of money as well giving me an opportunity to stay better fit physically.

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am an advocate not of using bicycles but of the installation of bike lanes in all major roads. It is to encourage the use of bikes because having a bike lane saves the biker from a potential accident on the road. Biking is a good way of saving money from the fare and also saving money from the gym because you get enough exercise your body needs without going to the gym which has an expensive membership.

13. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Living and working in the middle of a major city, I have started to commute to work on the bicycle and it's working out a lot cheaper and saving me a lot of time. Traffic these days, especially where I live, is getting worse and worse so the only option sometimes IS to either walk or use the bicycle.

The only downside I've seen is that sometimes the other car drivers aren't too bothered about cyclists getting in the way and it can be a little dangerous, but if you have cycle lanes like we have in most cities here in the UK, it really is something worth considering.

14. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I used a bicycle in this one town in South Korea while I was teaching. Boy, it was fun, especially with all those hills in Korea. I felt like a kid again. However, back in the USA, I rarely ride bikes except for exercise. Nonetheless, lately, I have been jogging instead of biking as I think you get more exercise for a shorter workout time.

Anyhow, I think bicycles are great for saving money when someone lives in a small town, considering that public transportation is more.

15. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately I don't even own a bike but I don't own a motorcycle nor a car either I take public transportation. When I used to own a bike back in the day I would use that to get to school instead of the bus. I felt like it was a great work out plus I saved money I would have spent of feul.

16. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This is one area that I know that I can do better. It really does translate into some good savings when you think about all of the gas money that are not spending, but I am guilty of being lazy.

17. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using a bike as a means of transporting me to my working place for 10 years. It is not only very economic or cost-saving form of transportation but it is good one's health to remain or stay healthy, vigorous and vibrant. The biker is free from any air pollution, free from fuel consumption. Besides, it is a good if not the best form of exercise.

18. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Bicycles by themselves aren't good enough to carry large amounts of groceries so I would recommend a tricycle like the one below. If the store is only a few minutes away, you can easily ride to and from stores with a large amount of groceries. It's a very good investment. They cost around 200 to 300 dollars.
    [​IMG]

19. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    In our area bicycles are as common as drinking water.

From young children to 80 year old person rides a bicycle. It is very cost effective and easy to maintain and occupies less parking space.

20. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know how to ride a bicycle. My father tried to teach all of us, but only our youngest sister was able to learn it. We used to just laugh and not try. Now, I really regret. I want to ride a bike, but since I don't know how to ride a bicycle, everyone says that I can't learn to ride a bike. Is it really true?