Using A Repeater

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by cluckeyo • May 27, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    If your situation is appropriate, you may be able to use a repeater in order to acquire your internet access. With a repeater, you would not have a monthly bill, unless you were splitting a bill with someone else. Which would also be cost effective. We live near my parent's home. They have a good internet connection. We just bounce their signal down to our house with the use of a repeater. It sets up like a router, it is basically an access point. Very easy to do. Of course you will have to buy the repeater, but once you buy it, that will be the only money going out. We get good service and are quite pleased. There are lots of good ones out there, search Amazon customer ratings to find the latest and best.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We tried this but at first we got a cheap one that wasn't that good and it was very difficult to setup. Thankfully we didn't give up on the whole idea just because of the bad first purchase and eventually we ended up with a good one that works very well. The only complaint I'd have is that the switching of accounts each time you cross a certain point even when it's automatic can be a bit of a chore especially when guests come over and you have to make these compromises but it's just a minor issue and it's definitely worth that bit of trouble.

3. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    A repeater can only amplify the signal. The bandwidth is still shared. However, if your parents and you are happy with the reduced bandwidth, then it's a good deal. Cheers!

4. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly, a repeater only amplify the signal. The replication is at the expense of total bandwitdth, but If your parent are not hardcore streaming viewers or just browse internet for facebook and news then you will definitely have some moments to enjoy full bandwidth capacity.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used a repeater when we needed to extend our cellphone signal. When I fist moved here...about 10 years ago, there were not many cell towers around, and our AT ant T phones did not work well. We could only get reception in certain parts of the area. A repeater allowed us to amplify the signal. We weren't using cellphones that used bandwidth at the time. the repeater was good, but once they built more towers in this region it was unnecessary.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just about everyone who lives in my neighborhood has a cell extender tower from their cell phone company. Otherwise, there's barely a signal, and it's impossible to carry on a conversation. I used to have to hang off the edge of my balcony to stay connected, it was really ridiculous. I wasn't aware that a repeater could also be used to extend an internet signal. My neighbors and I share our passwords, since sometimes one will go out but the other will still work, so this is something i might have to look into. If anyone has recommendations, I'd love to hear them. Budget is definitely a consideration.