Using A Computer To Talk On The Phone - Vs A Cell Or Regular Phone

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jason76 • Jan 16, 2018.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    The company Magic Jack got a following by selling a phone that only needed a small yearly subscription and a computer. Nonetheless, as with Skype video and online gaming, the computer requirement was more than satellite. However, most people in the world have better than that - so it isn't a problem. Anyway, even though such technology is available - most people still prefer cell phones - assuming they would even know about the new technology.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There’s a video chat on Facebook and I am seeing people using that particularly in communicating with those who are residing abroad. Last Christmas day in the family reunion, one nephew had a video chat with his sister in Canada. We were on the video chat for more than an hour talking with my niece and her 3 daughters while on our side, there were more people joining the conversation. And since it was using only the wifi so practically that call is cheap. I don’t know if there is someone who is still using the phone for an overseas call.

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, Magic Jack is sort of an archaic joke these days. :rolleyes: I mean, they're selling something already well known on Skype, Facebook etc.. What's new here? Anyway, I suppose the target market would be people who are - less knowledgeable on the net, I think.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    You know as technology advances there are also business that goes along with the technology. Skype has already come up with its call via computer so as with the Facebook and they augment it or enhance it with a video call. I think this Magic Jack is just only a version of what the Skype and the Facebook had been introducing. Though cellphones are very handy to use in calling for there is also a video call, but computer is a good option too in calling family members or friends especially those who are living abroad. So the people have more choices to get for their calls whether local or international.

5. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I have used VoIP on my PC and to be honest I don't like it. I would much rather use my cell phone because of its 100x better call quality. But I guess if you don't have a lot of minutes on your cell phone you could use VoIP on your PC.

P.S. don't forget about google hangouts its 100% free VoIP calling.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think anyone is still using a regular phone to call overseas, especially now that you can receive and make calls using FB or other applications like Viber or Tango for free. I certainly don't want to pay more for using a regular phone to call overseas.

7. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I still use my cell phone and have yet to resort to other methods. I have a facility to talk using my pc but I rarely use it for reasons not known to me. I am actualy wasting those free calls that I get there It is a data dongle and voice chat is free up to a point

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I use both the cellphone and the PC to get in touch with people abroad. I use the video chat to get in touch with relatives abroad on some occasions. I only use this if the other side has time for an extended conversation. Otherwise, I'll just use the cellphone which is a lot easier. Our phone service provider offers a prepaid IDD combo load for which calls to other countries can cost as low as $.04 per minute. This also comes with free local calls, SMS, and Facebook/messenger access.

I would love to use a browser app that can mask my cellphone number when making business calls abroad, something similar to what call centers are using. Our local telcos don't allow us the option to make our numbers private when making calls.