Used Furniture for Home Office

Discussion in Office Supplies started by Zyni • Oct 12, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Used furniture can be perfect for a home office, whether it's furniture from another space in your home, hand me down furniture, or something you picked up at a used furniture store, thrift store, or yard sale. A lot of nice pieces can be picked up for much lower prices, and they may just need a good cleaning before use. You may also be able to get a really great deal on pieces that just need minor repairs or a little care. You can even pick up mismatched pieces and make them cohesive by giving them a coat of matching paint.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as the furniture meets the following conditions, I don't mind if it's just a second-hand purchase:
    1. Clean and free from excessive dust or scratches
    2. Sturdy and in great shape; will not easily tumble during earthquakes
    3. No need for repairs, minor or extensive
    4. Great design and retains most of its functionality

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course, you could always have a used furniture in your home office as long as those that you would be using are still capable to be used and still durable, those that don't have yet signs of wearing out. And if ever, you could have them repaired and redecorated. When you are venturing on something new, you don't always have to have all that you would be using new. What's important is their function, not their age.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are considering buying used furniture then don't buy anything just because it looks new. The quality of the wood used to make the furniture is what matters most. Choose any furniture made from wood that is known to be durable [acacia, cedar, cypress, etc] even if it might need a little repair of a layer of varnish. Getting such furniture would mean that you won't be getting any replacements for a long time. Kill two birds with one stone — √

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've actually obtained much better quality used pieces such as real wood furniture than many of the new pieces being offered, which tend to be made of press board and other garbage. I'll take the time to clean, repair, refinish or otherwise revitalize a quality piece rather than getting desk in a box type stuff from Walmart or something. They don't make stuff like they used to. ;)

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that is very economical. As long as the furniture still looks okay, I will consider it for my home office. :)

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, they are definitely a good resource for furniture and I would really recommend checking these places out first before venturing into brand new ones. That said, I think the best furniture to buy at second hand shops would be the types you could easily clean and refurbish. I you are buying something like a computer chair or sofa, then if wouldn't trust it fully unless I have it reupholstered.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased used furniture for my office space and I have picked up items on the curb that was heading to the trash that I could see working in my space. I also use items that are supposed to be used for one thing I use it for something else in my work space. I like using cereal boxes to hold papers and coffee and soup cans to hold pens and pencils.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would purchase used furniture for my home office space because many of the older type furniture are more durable and longer lasting than many of these massed produced pieces that are now available. As long as the older furniture is clean and in a good condition then I would go for it.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally don't mind buying second hand office furniture, as it cuts down on costs. As long as it's in good working order and doesn't look all tatty, I don't see why not. My husband however, would rather buy new or even have stuff custom made. Over here it can actually works out cheaper to have things made from scratch, so I guess that's the main reason I didn't object too much when he insisted on having our office desks made for us. It worked out cheaper than store bought ones :)

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased used furniture many times, as it is much less expensive than buying it in stores, and is just as serviceable. Some stores specialize in this type of furniture and it is something that can be useful in your home or office. I would love to get some new furniture, as it has been years, but used would be all I could afford. I am thinking of getting covers for some of the furniture I have now, to give them the new look.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty much everything in my little desk area from the filing cabinets to the desk, was found on the curb on trash day. The one drawback is that it took 3 years to find all of the furniture pieces because you can't control when someone will throw out a desk chair or filing cabinet. If you're trying to furnish an office for free ,be prepared to watch and wait for a while.

13. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think used furniture and the tools can be good for the starters. But apart from that I think some of the time home office requires more of cashflow. Once you get the cashflow you can have the office at any place. And it can reduce your total ownership in due time. That being said, it is not that hard to work around with the used furniture for the time being. I don't mind using at all.

14. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think you could find some cheap office furniture- if you check out the estate sales,also look at thrift stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army,yard sales,habitat restores and local thrift stores as well. And also do not forget to look around the curbside- on furniture(garbage) pickup day,and you may really find a great bargain this way.

15. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    To save on cash, I think the used furniture more adavantageos than opting to buy totally new furniture. Furniture can be easily reused as long as it is in a condition that allows it to be repaired. There are so many furniture parts that have been brought back into use after being used for a while.

16. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    @xTinx@xTinx I agree with you on the need to have such furniture that meet these criteria. It does reduce the cost of getting a new one at the end as well too.

#16Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    It is hard for me to justify spending a lot of things that you can pretty easily get for free. If you take a look around at some places chances are you can find something to sit on, and usually anything home office is not for decoration, at least not for me.