Used But New Items!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by wallet • Jul 7, 2017.

1. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe some of you will not agree with my attempt to have all household appliances to be purchased as I did. We have some stores here from where you can buy the used machines from the store, don't get me wrong, I will give you an example if you want to buy a new fridge it will cost you 400 dollars, in the same store a new fridge the same mark, that was exposed in the store and was opened and touched and it may have a small scratch it will cost you 250 dollars.
    These products are new because it never was in use, but it may have small defects. I bought my fridge, my microwave, a stove, and a kitchen robot and I think I have saved over 1000 dollars.
    Have you ever bought this kind of items or you intend to save money as I did?

Attached Files:

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    That is smart thinking and I did buy a fridge once that was on display with some minimal scratches. I got a 40% discount for it but I bought it like that because it was the last one and I really liked it and even better when they offered that discoint. I think when I buy my washer I will do the same thing.

3. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Good for you Kamai, 40% discount was almost a half of the real price.....You made a good deal for that fridge! This option of buying is a good one for saving a lot of money, especially when you buy too many items at once!
    I heard the other days that there is an option alike on the phone stores, I will check it for sure, maybe I can buy a new generation phone with a big discount!

4. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    I have actually, you can save plenty of money on things you don't need to buy full price. I've bought quite a few appliances, even electronic ones like a wireless router. It worked fine and I saved a good amount of money. Some things are necessary to buy new but for many others, you can save purchasing them like this.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think that most of the time these can be as if not more exciting than some of the new new things that you can get. I say that because I do get a little thrill of the sale, which I am guessing is not all uncommon.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lowes has some excellent buys on used appliances, and you can often save hundreds of dollars by getting the "scratch and dent " appliances. They also have ones that someone bought and then returned right away for some reason, and they go through these and refurbish them so that they are just like new ; but at less than half the price.
    My daughter got her refrigerator/freezer from Lowes, and it was discounted from $2400 down to about $800, and came with the regular warranty. She loves it, and has had it for several years now, with no problems.
    Another place that you can find great deals on refurbished or returned items is on Amazon. when you look at the description for the item, it will some times say "more from $XXX price".
    As an example, I found a coffee maker that was $65 new, but refurbished, it was only $22; and it was just what I wanted, so I bought it.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a good idea to me but I am sure my wife would never agree with me. She wants everything brand new or unpacked. I have already missed couple of good such opportunities that would save us lots of monies. As you said I too was offered the same fridge which was available on shelf for 10% discount but my said no straight away.

8. Rossy

RossyMember

Threads:
    I totally agree with buying used but new items. You get something of the same quality you wanted but a little bit cheaper. I bought my second hand cooker 40% cheaper and to me it looked all new. I have used it for almost a year now and it is all perfect.

9. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought an appliance that was less than perfect on the surface but there was nothing wrong with it mechanically. Most times you are not going to see the scratch or dent as they are on the side of the appliance and most likely will be concealed by the counters so why not save a bunch of money. Prices are outrageous on appliances so saving money on them is smart.

10. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    @wallet@wallet Hope we have shops like this in our place. I usually buy used items, my phone and laptop aren't brand new when I bought them. If we have such a store near our place then I would always buy stuff from there. And almost half the price is such a sweet deal!

#10Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Kimika@Kimika the fact is that we all have such opportunities coming our way but not all of us recon them. In most cases the store owners do not tell you about minor defects (scratches etc) unless you notice them but once you bring it to their knowledge they accept it and readily agree to give you discount because they have to dispose their goods. So next time you notice anything on your chosen item make a good bargain and see what you get :)

12. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I never tried a method but it does sound like a great way to save some money. As long as the defects aren't severe and I can get it at a good price then I am game. I hope I have shops like that in my area in the near future.

13. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Well I do try doing that whenever I buy stuff but then they would tell me they aren't selling that exact item and my item would be brought from the warehouse. Good thing store owners in your place do such bargains.

#13Jul 30, 2017
  14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Depending on what and where you buy used items, this option can be something really interesting (especially in the financial question ;)). But particularly speaking, I'd rather buy something new in a promotion, for example. :)

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit Actually we are discussing about new items only but you still get a discount on them. These items are the ones kept in display at stores and they have slight tell tale marks of being there or handled by so many customers and sales persons during demonstration. Actually most store owners sell them on discounted price and replace this with a new one.

#15Jul 31, 2017
  16. zolzarr

zolzarrMember

Threads:
    As much as I would like to save money, I would prefer to wait for seasonal discounts before buying new items. I want to have a peace of mind when I make my purchases. Having a warranty would also be great. Sometimes, buying used items is like a lucky draw. You might get some good deals but there is also high risk that the product bought may not last long. In that case, I might as well get a new product and save the trouble of spending multiple times if the used item bought is not satisfactory.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @zolzarr@zolzarr I have almost stopped believing in the terms of 'discount' for sometime now especially the off season discount. Actually the companies/retailers tag their goods so high in the beginning and when they fail to sell them at those too high price then they dispose them at lower rates but still earn very high profit besides taking the advantage of clearing their stock quickly. I always keep this fact in my mind and prefer the stores with reasonable price all throughout the season.

18. zolzarr

zolzarrMember

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 I guess this depends on your location. The sales which I mention are actual discounts. The reason being is that they have to clear old stocks before new stocks come in.Besides, we do keep track of the prices and make sure that the items are not marked up too high. I guess. As for availability of stores here, we have limited stores to chose from in my location.

#18Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We got Sears that has this new but used items. Brand new appliances, but got surface damage, like scratches that go for a bargain price. It's great. Not an appliance but it has the same connotation; I bought a Trolly Dolly this way and saved $10 dollars for the bag had scratches on the inside. I bought it and use it with no problems and I love it. Nothing like pulling heavy groceries and with the bus lift it's superb going up and down from buses! :)I got the Trolly Dolly from amazon.com.

20. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    As long as I have money, I will never buy any ietms with a defect. I want my new items to be very new. However, when I am on budget I will consider buyig ietms with small defects as long as I get a heavy discounts. If you can get a new item for a big discount it is a great money saving option. However, I want my new item to be very new. I will avoid buying such items.