Use Surge Protector To Save On Electricity

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Alexandoy • Jun 12, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have a surge protector in your house? This is the extension cord that has a switch with a corresponding socket. When you plug the appliance, all you need to do is to turn on or off the switch so there’s no need to unplug. Remember that a plugged appliance uses electricity. Take for example the microwave, it has a digital timer that is always visible because it consumes electricity. When unplugged, the panel shows nothing, right? That’s the same with other appliances. With a surge protector, use the switch for convenience and save yourself from the hassle of unplugging.

2. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I know the appliance uses electricity as long as it is plugged in the power socket even though the appliance is off. I don't have surge protector, however, when I am not using my electrical appliances, I always detach the plug from power socket. This will disconnect the appliance from the electricity, thus it will save money. I always turn off the appliances when not in use.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a surge protector now because some items on charge can overheat and it's safer. Unplugging is obviously better, but pulling plugs in and out too often can cause damage to the plugs, and so it's better to use a surge protector so you can just use a switch. It's a lot easier, plus if you have long nails as I do, can save you breaking them by constantly pulling out plugs.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The surge protector is a very useful gadget because the intention for its use is to mostly protect against power surges which could damage your appliance and render it useless. There are many brands of this equipment which have proved to be ineffective in the countering of strong surges. In my country, there are special surge protectors which are made locally especially for refrigerators because those that are imported from the US do not seem to have the capacity to protect the refrigerator from the strong surges which may occur here. The protectors for appliances other than refrigerators usually have multiple plug-ins, therefore, I could be able to switch off those appliances.