Touring by bike.

Discussion in Travel started by Lostvalleyguy • May 29, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have been looking into doing some bike adventuring this summer and have found it a bit of a challenge to book accommodation. There are several multiday bike trails in my region and it would be nice to stay at a motel or B&B near to these trails. The issue I am having is a lack of information from these places. They have an address and say they can accommodate cyclist but when I check, they are often well away from the trails making them impractical places to stay. I am also finding it difficult to get a space for one person. Yes I know that most hold two people but I can't even get that it seems. These places want 3 or 4 to a room or you pay a premium.

Has anyone ever tried going on a cycling tour over several days? How did you arrange accommodation and meals?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I have friends who did the garden route to Cape Town in South Africa. They cycled and back packed. If you have a light enough tent (one person tents from REI are perfect), then you can have on your person the food you will need for the day and re-stock for the next day at the B&B. When you are biking the electrolytes are more important. It is National Commute to work day the first week of June in the U.S., so I would think there should be a lot of options. My mother is a serious cyclist but she uses a Townie Comfort bike even though she goes for up to 30 miles in a day. I am tempted to take her this summer along some local bike trails in either urban areas or a bike tour package that is over the course of a weekend along Lake Michigan. I have been doing a lot of research and I found a similar scenario: there aren't a lot of clear cut options for cyclists. However, I think this is because cyclists by nature like to choose their own way; it is more about the route than the accommodation. My friends who did the route I mentioned in the onset spent the last night in a nice bungalow where they ordered good food to grill. I think this is the best way to go: travel as a 'minimalist' in the beginning and end the trip by treating yourself like a king or queen. I would see if the last place I stayed had a masseuse as well. We did this once for a hiking trip we took and it was well worth it. Happy cycling!

3. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I have been thinking to do this with friends, but honestly, I would only do this in countries which are bike-friendly. I would not sacrifice my safety for adventure. I know for a fact that there are several countries which may cause accidents for bikers, just because their roads are not designed to accommodate them properly. I would stay away from those place. I will do my research first before I make a decision to do a biking tour.

4. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    While the idea of taking a biking tour sounds great, I'm afraid I no longer have the stamina to do this. Years ago I might have, but not any more. But if you're strong and healthy, I would say to go for it. It sounds like a great way to see the country at your leisure instead of rushing though it. And a great way to stay in shape and burn off some of calories from those goodies you'll be eating during your travels.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wanna do this with my friends. This would be a lot of fun. Touring with only your bike and your friends will be a great unique experience and bonding. But if I were to do it alone, I am not going to make it. I would be scared as I don't know what's going to happen. And if something screwed up, if I screwed up, then to whom I could turn for help. I think it's not going to fun of me doing it alone.

6. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    There are several bike tours and tour packages offered nowadays. You may have to consult several travel agents to find out the best locations and the best deals for accommodations. Often if we DIY our tours and we're not too familiar with the destination, we may end up spending more money as well as time trying to figure out our routes. It would also help to visit forums of cyclists and get first-hand advice from members who have experienced the destination you intend to visit. They may even recommend an excellent local who can serve as your travel buddy or guide.

7. elizahoa

elizahoaNew Member

Threads:
    I am really impressed with your idea. it make me fascinating to prepare for my trekking trip Sapa(one ideal place for such hot days in my country). thanks a lots.

8. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I also think a touring bike is a good choice for the purpose you describe and my target toward the Vietnam that i go tour through the bike because i love the bike tour..

9. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    Dude i had also complete the bike tour toward the Vietnam recently and during the bike tour i enjoy a lot with the friends my tour is based on 7 days and may be another plan for the bike tour to move on toward the Vietnam...