Toblerone Chocolates - I Lost A Golden Opportunity

Discussion in Expired Deals started by iamawriter • Jun 30, 2017.

1. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I was in Melbourne on holiday and was shopping for chocolates. I came across a counter where I saw heaps of giant sized Toblerone Swiss Chocolates They were selling them at a heavily discounted rate. I grabbed a few and went to the counter to pay and casually looked at the expiry date. What do I see? The date had expired. I quickly went back to the counter and returned them.
    In discussions with friends later I was told that nothing happens to expired chocolates and no Malls can keep anything that could be harmful to customers.
    Have you committed such blunders?

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    In my country, there is this practice where when some goods are about to reach their expiry date the merchants make deals with peddlers on the street who sell the Items at a discounted rates and then, in turn, receive a commission on the sale from the merchants. This way, the merchants are able to sell out the goods before they may expire and minimize any losses that would probably occur if they had the goods after the expiry date because they could be sanctioned if would have attempted to sell them.

3. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @explorerx7@explorerx7 I agree with you. One is not supposed to sell anything with an expiry date. Probably chocolates do not come under that category and the Mall I was shopping at seemed well organised and would not flaunt rules that are put in place in that country. I should have been a bit wiser and gone to the supervisor there and got a clarification.

#3Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
  4. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    To be honest I wouldn't worry about chocolate that was past it's expiry date as it's very unlikely to harm you. It will go a cloudy colour or taste less appealing than it did when it was fresh but it wouldn't poison you. I think there are laws in the UK that say you shouldn't sell goods past their 'Use by' date but it is up to the retailer to decide whether they can sell goods which are marked 'best before' with the exception of eggs.

5. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    We have grown up with the idea of not consuming anything that is passed its expiry date I should have been wiser since that Mall was selling it and surely they would not keep anything there that would harm their customers. Better luck next time, hopefully. (lol)