Tips in Detecting Scams

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by vida_llevares • Jan 27, 2013.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Hi.

Can you share a couple of tips on how to detect scams and fraud?

2. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Don't fall for ridiculous offers by HYIP sites that require you to invest money on their program. Research first about the specific website and wait for some time before finally deciding to invest.

3. waterhands

waterhandsNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with the ''if it's too good to be true it probably is''. I also read that you should try to click on all the apparently ''official'' links (like paypal, mastercard, etc...) and see it they are actually a link or only the image that leads to no link. In the second page, the site is probably a scam. Not sure if some scam websites manage to have links to real sites or not, though. I always find that websites that start to announce themselves by things like ''not scams, real product, we are reliable'', etc tend to be a scam.

Also don't be fooled by the fact that the page seems so ''real'' and that nobody would go through all that trouble just to set up a scam. They would and they do!
    Last time I was in doubt about a website that sold digital cameras at ''too good to be true'' prices I did a bit of research online and yes! A few people have used the site and confirmed it was a scam!

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Here's a specific tip that is useful if you receive an email which is apparently from your bank. The bank always addresses customers by name, and never asks for security details in emails. If you receive an email from your bank which opens 'Dear customer' and asks for your password and/or PIN, it's a scam, no matter how authentic the site looks.

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a cynic so I eye pretty much every opportunity with suspicion. But I would say if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is, and steer clear of people who ask for money up front.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If they ask for any of your personal info like passwords then it's obviously a scam. Always hover your mouse to the link address that they provide, because you will usually see that the real address is not the exact website address of the site that they're imitating, and only the log-in page looks real because it's a phishing site.

7. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I think the biggest tip for email scams is that no reputable business would ever ask for personal details via email. If they need info from you, you'll be directed to their website. Also, always look at the address bar to make sure that the page is secured (https) and that the domain is what it should be (e.g. paypal.com, NOT pay.com/paypal or some other nonsense).

Oh, and NEVER help any person in Nigeria collect on a huge inheritance. :)

8. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Asking this question is a great start! Having suspicious and not being complacent is the first step in being scam savvy. Secondly, a big sign is how professional the website looks, do the links work? Does it have https? Does it have proper spelling and grammar? These are signs to look for. ALWAYS check the address bar at the the top of the site, if a site looks like the bank but its URL is

it is FAKE! Know the URL of the site you want to visit, and know that anything other than that is a scam!

If in doubt over an online site, just google for the sitename +reviews and see if anyone else has used the site.

9. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    Double back on the site they sent through email. Scammers are really good at faking a webpage. I recently got an email from "Western Union" that I won something because I had used their services and was told to click on a link so I did. The page was great and looked really legitimate however since I know I'd never used Western Union I knew it was a scam. So I googled Western union and got to their real webpage. The differences were not really noticeable but when I looked for the said contest there was none. I also contacted their customer support from the legitimate site and got confirmation that no such contest existed. Be careful!

10. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time, if the online shops have contact numbers, address and such written on their site, it's one good thing. I always try to search online if their shop is physically existing (the place where they do business). Also, if they have a Paypal as payment method, it's one good thing it's not a scam. Usually, scammers always do not tell all their business details and contacts. I avoid such online shops.

11. delco

delcoMember

Threads:
    I prefer to go by reputable sites online, but I know thats not always possible to get what you want. Craigslist for example. I've run into quite a few things that are far too good to be true.

If there's every any instance where they are asking something from you without you getting a product or service first or at least at the same time as they want your money, run.

12. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    If you receive some type of scam-related materials, it's worth the effort to take the time to report it. If it's a scam that's impersonating a website or service, take the time to let the real website or service know about it. It does make a difference.

13. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_JoNew Member

Threads:
    This is pretty much it. ALWAYS google the name of a business, retailer or whatnot with the word "legit" after it, that is sure to give you a more or less accurate judgement by tons of users. That's how I check before shopping, or investing anywhere online.

14. AngryItalian

AngryItalianMember

Threads:
    There are things you can do to detect the validity of a web store, for one check the domain, to make sure it does not share a sub domain like wix or free hosting or something. Second do not trust .co.cc domains or .tk domains as those are common scam domains. Look for domains that are .com,.org, or .net.

If you remain skeptical search scam records and see what you can before dealing with the vendor.

15. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have to say that with saying if something sounds to good it may not be true, it could be that kind of thinking that makes us miss out on some opportunities. I have to say that everyone has their own version of what is to good to be true. If someone said you can make $20 a day, would that be to good to be true to some, if someone says, you can make $90+ a day would that be to good to be true? I have to say go with your instincts, but always research. If you do not know the person that is contacting you and they send you a link, never open it until you know it is a secure site. You could also ask for people to call,set up video meeting, or etc. Just so you can get a feel of who the person is. Also never feel pressured to sign up or do anything before taking the proper steps. Always ask for proof! I have to say my scam didn't cost me any money, but it cost time. I was suppose to get paid $50 per ad click, but it registered to me that something wasn't right when I started seeing the same few emails, so I actually kept doing them just to see if I was going to get my money and guess what; I didn't. I have also received some fraudulent checks, where I called the bank and they would not verify the realness of the check, so I ended up calling the Company that was listed on the check and they told me it was fake! Just be AWARE.:cool:

16. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    If your looking for work like I have been here is one to definitely look out for and be aware of. You are told to deposit checks on behalf of a company into your bank account and then keep a certain percentage while sending the rest back to them. Yes, this sounds shady to begin with but I have to admit that I nearly fell for it, till I got the checks and saw the amounts on them. I realized this could be a scam contacted the banks these checks supposedly were issued from to find out that they weren't. I sent the checks back and told the company that I was onto them. After this I never heard from them ever again.

There is also a sweepstakes or something that claims to be a sweepstakes out there that does a similar scam as well. It has been on the news that people have fallen for this scam and ended up being penalized by their bank because of it. These scams are so prominent out there a that some employment sites actually give warnings telling people to avoid them. With good reason, these can get you into a whole lot of trouble. I'm just grateful that in the end I listen to my gut telling me that something wasn't right and that I backed out when I did.