This Week At Dollar Tree

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by thisnthat • Mar 7, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Even though some people don't care much for dollar stores, I do. I especially like Dollar Tree, so I wanted to discuss it specifically.

While I'm not going to say everything there is good, I do still get enough good deals to keep me coming back. I try to visit once each week, so let's share what we find so others can see what's new each time we go.

This week I bought drain cleaner, Dawn dish soap, and a couple of food items like Whale crackers (my daughter loves them). I wasn't feeling well this time, so I didn't stay and look around too much.

I did take a quick glance through some of the cute stuff they are starting to put out for Easter. They have some really cute Easter baskets and filler ideas that aren't just candy. I've seen similar items in other stores for at least 3x as much.

Did you visit recently? What were you're cool finds?

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You would be surprised to note that back in my country we have tons of such stores which sell items at very low uniform price. For instance certain shops sell useful products everything at INR 50 ($0.75). Some of these items are sold by moving vendors on carts etc and if you wish to buy them in footpath market you're always in for couple of surprises. The only problem I see with these products is their low quality.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    This week, I picked up some really cute Easter items. One package contained two carrot shaped bottles of bubbles on strings (like necklaces). I also got some cute bunny masks with kids sunglasses attached. I presume that the sunglasses can be worn on their own as well. My grandkids are going to love these.

I also bought some extra large zipper bags. They're huge. My husband needed something to store his ball caps in to avoid dust, but travel bags designed for this can be a bit pricey. I grabbed a pack of 2.5 gallon zipper bags for a buck. You only get five in this size, but I felt it was a good deal, especially compared to what I would have spent otherwise.

I picked up an extra large bottle of dish soap as well. You get 50 ounces for a dollar (although you have to look through them. They are introducing a smaller size, so you may not be able to still find the extra large ones).

Next was lemon scented pine cleaner. It works really well and smells good to. It's even great for washing my daughter's fast food uniform which generally doesn't smell too great after a long day in a greasy kitchen.

The trash bags and sandwich bags I usually buy elsewhere but thought these were at least worth a try. I'll update my findings.

Straws are a buck for 180 as opposed to packs of 100 that seems to be the usual in other stores.

What did you buy?

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Come on, I know there are people here who shop at Dollar Tree besides me. :)

I picked up some extra snacks for my daughter, since she's home for spring break. I also bought some extra cleaning supplies. I grabbed some Jimmy Dean sausage links for her breakfast as well, the brown and serve type. These are usually over $2 for a pack of 10-12 at most stores. You get 6 for a dollar, which is just average, but we like the Jimmy Dean brand.

I noticed they have added a lot of gardening items too, so I'll have to check those out as well. They have a nice assortment of containers, and I plan to do a little container gardening.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am coming off of a pretty good week at the dollar store, and that is more than I can usually say, so that is good. I got some new cup and dishes all for around six dollars, and that is pretty good for anyone.

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @larryl332@larryl332 I saw some cute brightly colored dishes and mugs the last time I was at the store I visit in the city. They seemed like nice ones too. They were fairly heavy and seemed sturdy, so I think they would be a good value for a dollar each. My daughter would love those, since she really likes bright colors.

I have bought other dishes, mugs, glasses, etc. there in the past. They seem to have a nice selection. I got a pair of wine glasses there a while back that looked exactly the same as the individual ones Walmart was selling for 3x the price. I like to get those for making gift baskets too. With a corkscrew and a bottle of wine and some pretty items to fill in the spaces, it makes for a nice host/hostess gift.

I bought some more Easter goodies this week. I got a tic tac toe game shaped like a baby chick and a little hard page book shaped like a baby chick for the grandbabies for their Easter baskets.

#6Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2017
  7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Dollar Tree and get rather excited to be honest. You do need a clear head and only buy what you need, and to check and test things while you are there. Stock does vary, but when it comes to pens and notebooks, I stock up. Right now I haven't seen anything I need, so I am being good and not buying anything.

I do like the ones that stock food, but I do check the dates. Often they are fine, and always remember to bring strong carrier bags with you. The ones they use are next to useless and break immediately!

8. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely teeth whitening strips! They are SO EXPENSIVE when you try to buy them at other stores. Who has 20 bucks for 8 whitening strips? Not me. But at Dollar Tree you get 3 in a pack (upper and lower teeth)...which I use all of them for my upper teeth anyway...so that's 6 strips for only a dollar. Can't beat that! Also, $1.00 Close-Up Mouthwash. Can't find it anywhere else, and it has such a great cinnamon taste to it, not harsh like other mouthwashes. And then of course, their kleenex boxes are awesome. So many beautiful background pictures on these boxes, my fave would be the "Night of the Falling Stars" as I like to call it. It's a black and dark blue box with a bunch of stars falling- like a summer evening scene. LOVE this box of tissue. :) Only at Dollar Tree.

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree, @Theo@Theo. There bags are terrible, ha ha. If I buy a bin, I just put all my stuff inside it. I do get excited over some of their deals though.

Yes, you definitely have to shop carefully. If you buy on a whim, you could spend a lot unnecessarily even though everything is only a buck. It adds up quickly.

Looks like you got some good finds @Natasha0717@Natasha0717. I always seem to find something.

I didn't buy a whole lot this week. I grabbed some laundry soap and fabric softener and other cleaning supplies mostly. I also picked up some frozen blueberries. I like that they are fresh frozen with no sugar added. I can't touch that size container of blueberries around here unless I want to pay 3-4 times as much.

I did see some cute things that I might have to get for the grandkids too. Some of the toys and books there are cute. I think we're about due for some new coloring books as well.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Dollar Tree alot, the only problem with it is that at least for me, I seem to get caught up in the impulse buys. I may go in there for one or two things and before I know it, I have 9 or 10! I don't feel that bad about it, because they are all things I will use, but sometimes they don't have the best prices on everything.

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Yes I too do a lot of the impulse buys, and especially at the stores like this. I suppose it is better than having them at other stores though, but still needless to an extent.

12. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That is a good point, and it's easy to fall into this. You have to watch both impulse buys, as Theo noted, and price/ratio at any dollar store or discount store. Just because it's only a dollar doesn't necessarily mean it's the best value. Another store might offer a better deal when you divide the price by units of measurement.

It is probably better to get those impulses out in a store where everything is a dollar rather than in a more expensive store, but still, those dollars add up. It took me a while to train myself to stop over-buying, especially when dollar stores first became a thing in my area.

13. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    On my visit this week, I picked up a new, small, plastic trash can for my vehicle. I also grabbed a new one for my husband's truck. They come in white and black. I bought two blacks ones. I saw comparable ones in other stores for $4.00 each or more, so it was a good deal.

I also got a bottle of Witch Hazel, which I use as face cleanser. I picked up a large bottle of hand sanitizer as well. I like the large containers for a buck. Even though it had a pump on it, I just used it as a refill. I like to keep a smaller bottle in the bathroom and the kitchen near the sink, so I refilled those. I even had enough left over to refill the mini travel size bottle that I keep in my purse.

Next, I got a bag of sun flower kernels to snack on. They have a decent variety of snacks, but I wanted something healthier, not chips or junk.

14. nmcnul75

nmcnul75New Member

Threads:
    I often shop at dollar tree and it can be addicting! Impulse buys everywhere especially when you are a mom. Its hard to say no when what your little one wants is just a dollar! They are putting up all the summer stuff now so it is great for things like bubbles, beachbuckets and shovels washclothes sunglasses etc. With more outside play and day trips there are always things of this nature that get left behind and with dollar tree they can be easily replaced. I also get a lot of cleaning products that are supper expensive in supermarkets right in dollar tree. Im a fan I try and go weekly.

15. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    The toys are certainly fun. I love picking up little toys and stuff for my grandkids. They have a great selection of coloring books and art supplies too. I agree that they usually have lots of fun stuff for summer.

They had a little beach bag that came with a shovel and sand toy inside. Those are cute. They have some fun gardening items too, if you want to get the kids into gardening.

Food wise, I bought Texas toast style garlic bread from the freezer section to serve with our spaghetti dinner. Six pieces for a dollar. My daughter loves it and requests this kind specifically, so I get to make her happy and save money. Speaking of spaghetti, if any of you use ready made sauce, theirs is better than a lot of other brands and cheaper too (the one in a jar). I made real sauce, but I picked up a couple jars for quickie meals. It also works as pizza sauce.

16. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Whew, it's been a busy summer, and while I have still had my weekly trips to Dollar Tree, I haven't always managed to post about them.

The past few weeks were spent planning and shopping for a birthday party. I got some great deals, and I'm sure you know where I got them. ;) It's a great place for party supplies.

I found a number candle that also came with a little "happy birthday" thing to affix to the cake. I love those, since I don't have much luck trying to write with frosting. Usually, the number candles themselves cost more than a buck, so to get the candle and the message thing for just a dollar, was a good bargain.

17. Wayne Norris

Wayne NorrisNew Member

Threads:
    I shop at dollar tree all the time. they may not have everything i need or want. but i do find some very good things there. and you cant beat the price. just 1.00 not bad.

18. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    In the UK we have a similar store called 'The Pound Shop' . I like it because although not everything is of good quality I have found some real bargains there.

One thing I notice is although most of the products cost a pound there are some that cost more than you would pay in other shops. I guess they have to make their money in other ways. It's well worth visiting especially for cleaning products.

19. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree has some amazing buys, and especially in the food section. You can get bread, rolls, lunch meat, and hot dogs, all at about half the price you would pay at the grocery store. While some of the items at Dollar Tree are regularly stocked (like the foodstuffs); some of their items are liquidation buyouts, and only last until supplies run out. I have found items that regularly sold for $5-$10 originally, and they worked fine. You just have to check each time you go in for these special buys.
    One interesting thing that I discovered is that there are a plethora of videos on Youtube about how to use items from Dollar tree to decorate your house. Some are pretty simple to make, and some are extremely creative.
    Here is an example of making a decorative wall mirror from Dollar Tree finds.

20. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That's true. You do have to watch for that and know what stuff is supposed to cost. Some items are higher by volume. Like anything else, careful shopping is a must, but there are still some great deals to be had.

I have seen quite a few of these as well as several ideas on Pinterest. Some of them are really cool.The one you posted looks like a piece of artwork. Who would ever guess it's plastic plates and foam board?

I would recommend reading the health warnings on the adhesive she used (or any brand for that matter), before deciding whether or not you want to use it.

It does seem like the special buys are often the items used in the designs, because when I go to find some of them, they are no longer available. So, if you see something cool that you want to make, act fast. :)