The 30-day Rule!

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by luckycharm • Feb 10, 2017.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever observed a 30 day rule before finally purchasing an item? According to this rule if you postpone the purchase of an item (not an urgent one) for some time, say 30 days, it may kill your urge to buy it. Moreover as time passes you will get a clear picture and its importance in your life. In that way you may save some money by avoiding not so useful items.

It also has another advantage like you may get the product at a more discounted rate after some time, especially in items like smartphones.

Have you ever changed your mind and wait for sometime before finally buying a product?

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I have sometimes done this not with javing 30 day rule in mind but simply postponing the shopping of an item till later.

I don't know if it is my stubborn nature or what but I end up biying the item that I desire even after 5 years.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have done so many times and usually end up not wanting the item. I do that when I want something not necessarily need it. I see how I deal without the item a few days and then realize I would be okay without such item. Sometimes I will even completely forget about it and end up saving money on something I would eventually forget about even if I purchase it.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is the first time I’ve of the 30-day rule and it looks like a good reason to minimize purchases. Sometimes it happens to me because I am a procrastinator when it comes to buying big items like furniture or appliances. In fact, it took us more than a year before we finally bought a new car. Back to that 30-day rule, maybe I can teach my wife to practice it because between the 2 of us, she is the impulsive buyer. And I fully agree that if you withhold buying for 30 days, there is a higher probability not to buy anymore, i.e. if the subject is not a necessity.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have not applied that rule. What I always used to do is to wait for sometime a new product to come out. It would for sure those old and unsold product would be offered for less. This is true in the case of smartphones. I always availed of such opportunity.

6. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I apply this rule with a lot of things that I purchase these days, but it may not be exactly 30 days. I often put things in my Amazon shopping cart and then will wait quite a while before actually proceeding to the checkout to see if I really want the item after all. Sometimes I even get lucky and the items will reduce in price. I have saved about $40 in the last couple of months doing this.

As far as everyday items are concerned, I just purchase what I need and try to look for the best price before buying the items.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I have not tried counting 30 days before purchasing non-essential items because I find it stressful and unnecessary. I actually postpone a purchase even beyond 30 days because I usually take time looking for the best deals. When I bought my smartphone, for example, it took time, like months, before I finally settled on a brand and model. What I did was set a price range and the features that it should have. It took time to find one that satisfied both criteria. The waiting period did not deter me from purchasing one though. For other stuff, we can save a lot by waiting for off-season sales before buying.

8. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have done that 2 weeks ago when I wanted to purchase a 2nd hand Android phone that has a newer OS, but I changed my mind at the last minute, because if I did buy it then my budget would be precarious, so I did not push through with buying it. I haven't heard of the 30-day rule though, but I agree with it.

9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    This is just so relevant to me because when I want to buy something I have to have it there and then. I quite often have not observed the 30 day rule. I start to get agitated and I even get really hot at the thought of buying whatever it is I want; but on the rare occasions I have practised this it has really worked and the feeling of wanting that product will go away. It's a rule well worth following if you have the willpower.

10. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried the 30 day rule but I have ever postponed buying items due to minor circumstances and the urge for buying them always burned down. I am prone to buying items I really don't need and I doubt if I have ever solved this problem.

I will try and practice the 30 day rule on items like clothes and shoes. There will be nice smartphone offers in December and I can't wait to buy my favorite android phone in 2 weeks. :D

11. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    Mine hasn't reached 30 days before I got an item, but I've always relax a bit when I want to buy a product and use that period to run a thorough research on the need to buy such items with the hope that doing so would enable me have a clue on what the product is all about. Having some delays before purchasing an item comes with some benefits at the end of it.